Should I try to get another interview, after stuffing up the first?

Don’t say negative things about yourself, even in jest. Don’t say you “screwed up.” Even if you are a control freak, call it “strong leadership.” The interview is the place to be honest, but not candid. Just sit tight. A couple of days is nothing. If you haven’t heard by Monday, it would not be inappropriate to check back asking about “the status of your application.” Being eager to work for them makes you an asset, not a bother. You already know there’s not a huge pool of qualified applicants.

I can sympathize, OP. I was called in for an interview once for a position I was definitely under-qualified for. I told the interviewer I was “good at faking it.” A strange expression passed over his face, and I knew I’d blown it. I was just woefully underprepared for the interview, and have been kicking myself since, especially since other positions which I am more qualified for have come up at this organization. Oh well! Definitely a learning experience.

Unless they are talking to 50 people the hiring manager will remember. I would. Unless there is new information I’m not going to bother re-interviewing someone.
I agree that one should never confess to a weakness on the first interview, but here what should happen is a perceived weakness should be translated into a strength. The reason I recommend a call instead of an email is that it put her in a different mental bucket from the others, and that it allows her to be a lot more subtle. (I’d never put “I screwed up” in an email.)
Like I said, she is just guessing that this is the reason she didn’t get the job. It might be something totally different.
BTW, one of the best Directors I ever had would come down and tell people he screwed up when he did. It was minor stuff, but it really build loyalty. I guess if he was an idiot it would be different, but he sure wasn’t. I learned a lot from him.

Just want to share a personal experience that I feel is somewhat similar.

Four years ago I applied for a job that I KNEW was the perfect fit for me. After a great interview and some skill testing, I was called back for another round of testing - apparently my score and another candidate’s score were identical.

I did the second test, which consisted of producing a poster. I had half an hour to do it and I completely froze. I finally pulled together something that I knew was nowhere near close to my best work.

After a day or two of agonizing, I called the HR Advisor and asked if I could possibly redo the poster. I acknowledged that it was an unorthodox request and that I felt uncomfortable asking, but told her that this opportunity just meant so much to me that I had to ask for a second chance. She was lovely and said that although my poster was fine and it wasn’t necessary, if it would make me feel better, I could do up another poster at home in the 30 minute timeframe, and email it to her.

I got the job! :slight_smile: I don’t think it had ANYTHING to do with my second poster, but I was very proud of myself for stepping outside of my comfort zone and taking a risk by calling her. There was a very good chance that I would’ve been seen as pushy, neurotic, obsessive, whatever … but I followed my gut instinct and have never regretted it.

So, I am pulling for you and I am glad you decided to send the email and re-apply. Good luck!

Excellent! You can buy a computer program based on output, but people are a bit more complicated. I bet your willingness to break out of the normal interview rules and take initiative counted for far more than the poster.
Did you like the job? It sounds like a good place on this little bit of evidence.

That kind of humility is great when you’re a manger and AFTER you get the job. Not appropriate in an interview. An interview is a sales job. How would it be if a salesman said that the product he’s trying to persuade you to buy sometimes screws up. Like I said, honesty, not candor.

Ah well, it’s a no:

Thanks for your note. I have met and spoken with a number of candidates
for the role. All have been quite strong in different areas but all I can
say is that I simply haven’t found the right candidate yet. There are a
combination of factors involving background, experience, xxx knowledge,
culture fit, etc. I appreciate your interest but at this stage we will
continue see what is on offer in the market and will seek other candidates.
All the best.

Still, after bugging me for 8 weeks at least I can put this one to bed.

Dang. I’m glad you tried again. You really did the right thing. Did you reply, something like, “Thank you for the note and for looking over my application again. All the best,…”

Yes, and wished him well with the search. No point in burning any bridges, and who knows, in another month he might remember me… :dubious:

Thanks all for your help! I’m really glad I sent it, even if the outcome wasn’t was I was after. Sometimes it’s good to get out of your comfort zone, even if that’s the only win.