Should I try to get another interview, after stuffing up the first?

OK, so in a fit of indecision I am crowdsourcing my job hunt.

I’m currently looking for work (made redundant in mid Feb). In late Jan I applied for and got an interview with a company which it’s fair to say I completely stuffed up - not on my skills and ability to do the job per ce, but I referred to myself as a bit of a control freak (:smack:) and the interviewer took this to mean in relation to my staff management, which is actually not the case. I tend to hire people that I trust can do the job, and I’m pretty hands off really.

But damage done, and the next day the HR person calls to tell me that I don’t have the staff management experience they were wanting (it would be a national marketing manager role). I know I am a better manager than I implied, but I was thrown by the way he came into the question. Ah well, first interview for 7 years and I know to watch out for this next time.

During the interview, the hiring manager encouraged me to take the leap and accept the redundancy offer from my existing company, which I have done, telling me I wouldn’t regret it (I won’t, but not just because he told me to!)

Now, 8 weeks later, the company is still advertising the job (first on Linkedin, then on Seek, now on Linkedin again) suggesting that they can’t find the right person still.

I am still really keen on the job, and think I got off on the wrong foot, partly because of my flub (the rest of the interview went well, I was completely researched and prepared) and also because I don’t think his head was in the game at the time - it was during a 20-stop roadshow for him, he hadn’t read the JD or my CV and was pretty clearly not prepared for the interview.

So, normally I would chalk this one up to a learning experience, but something is pushing me to have another go at this. When I was discussing whether I could actually work with him well if I did manage to get in front of him again, my 3 year old profoundly told me not to worry about it, because “Mum, you just work with him”. Made me think anyway.

So, a friend suggested I just email him and let him know that I am still available and interested, open to a short term contract to prove my skills etc; and clearly in this case I have nothing to lose except a little bit of dignity if he choses not to respond. But perhaps that dignity is worth preserving?

So crowd, tell me what you think. I have a nice redundancy cheque so I’m not desperate for work, but I’d rather be back at work for a company that excites me, and this is one of the few that has.

What do you have to lose? I say contact them.

ETA. It’s the kind of thing where you might regret NOT doing it, but you’re not likely to regret doing it.

Can’t hurt.

Really, I don’t see a downside. At worst you’ll lose a small bit of time in composing the message.

Go for it! Am sending positive energy! :slight_smile:

You could look a little silly if it’s very small industry; certainly my boss has remembered people who’ve re-applied for jobs after being turned down and told us stories about how ridiculous it is to re-apply when your last interview ended with you screaming drunkenly at your interviewer. Still, unless your interview was a total catastrophe, I think it’s worth a try. They’ve got to be pretty tired of working around an empty position, and they might say “The hell with it! Better to have the job filled.”

And give him a call, instead of emailing him. I think you saying you screwed up, and how, and telling him what you can really do will come over better. Plus, if there is some other reason you didn’t get it (which is possible) he is more likely to tell you, not in writing.

I suspect most people who contact someone who turned them down again just hammer at the same things they said the first time, giving the impression the prospective employer was wrong. Saying you understand why they turned you down might be a refreshing enough change.
And it couldn’t hurt.

Thanks for the unilateral response so far, I wondered if I should just be letting it go. But the fact that I am still kicking myself makes me think, as you say, that the thing I will regret is not giving it another crack.

I’m leaning towards emailing, primarily as it means it could give it time for him to mull it over, rather than be put on the spot on the phone (also, I’m chicken and I feel presumptuous enough emailing a guy I’ve met once!)

Here’s my draft so far, let me know what you think:
*I notice you are still actively advertising for the Marketing Manager role at XXX. While it’s probably unusual to follow up in this manner, I remain enthusiastic about the company and its exciting future, and I’d like to be able to contribute to it.

I know last time we met I probably did not present my staff management skills to best advantage, which I particularly regret as I have a strong history of helping my staff achieve great outcomes with trust and good faith. If you felt that in other respects I could be a good fit for the role, I’d love a second chance to prove myself.*

I think the “probably” sounds like you’re unsure of yourself, especially since you used it in the previous sentence, as well. How about, “I feel as though last time we met, I did not present…”

Definitely go for it. I was turned down for a job in 2000 because the interviewer thought I was over-qualified (which was kind of true), but I hassled a couple of times and they gave me a go. I’m still with the same company now.

Agree with this change. And go for it! Sending positive vibes!

That’s a good message. Positive, direct, and helpful. Don’t make it too much longer or it might not get read.

Go for it. Every good job I ever got was due to the fact that I hounded the decision maker. Some even said that is why I got the job. I was persistent.

Another ‘go for it’ post. You have nothing to lose.

Well, I’ve sent the email amended as you have all suggested, and reapplied for the role on Linkedin as that goes to the HR person rather than the hiring manager, and now I wait. I suspect I won’t hear anything ever again, but then again, “that really is a no, huh.”

Thanks for the good thoughts!

I think you did the right thing. Good luck, and I hope you get to bump this thread for a great reason! :slight_smile:

Just out of curiousity, how do you know the “control freak” thing was the reason?
I think 2-3 months is probably an ok amount of time to try to get another interview if the position is still open. But why go through the online resume submittal process? You already have the hiring manager’s contact info. Why not leverage that connection? The thing is, since they already told you “no”, you need to approach it in such a way that you are giving them a reason why they should reconsider you.

Simultaneously email the hiring manager and express your continuing interest in the job, emphasizing what you said about being excited about the company. DON’T just get back in the hiring queue. No offense, but that’s kind of a “nice girl” thing to do. A guy wouldn’t do that. Skip to the front of the line. You have an edge, use it. And don’t say you screwed up before. They’ve forgotten you by now, so don’t remind them of anything negative. The fact is, they ARE still looking.

To clarify - I emailed the hiring manager directly, and applied through the LinkedIn process. Figured I’d get 2 shots in. I also have the email address of another internal hr person, who I might also email about it.

Perfect! Double whammy! :slight_smile:

I’m not totally sure that’s what it was, but I saw a pained expression cross his face when I said it, and everything else went very smoothly. The HR person called me the next day and told me it was a no due to the staff management experience. As far as I know I was the first person they interviewed, and that makes me think I had to have really flubbed to be an automatic no, rather than a least favoured candidate of several interviewed over a week or so.

I’ve not heard anything at this point, and while I should give it a couple of days it’s not looking good I’m afraid! Got another PFO for another job application (Please Fuck Off) today so I’m grumpy and ready for this all to be over. Job hunting sucks!

I have a second interview on Monday for another role but it’s kind of a weird setup where I’d be a marketing consultant for their umbrella org, targeting small businesses. Work from home, work 3-4 days which would be ideal, but I have to pay an entrance fee, plus a portion of my billable hours yet no guaranteed work and despite knowing of the company for several years it still kind of feels a bit pyramid scheme for me to feel very comfortable.