Should moderator actions be in public or in private?

No. They’ve made it clear they’ll take who someone is into account in addition to the content. Someone with a history of warnings has less rope for some things, for instance.

And that’s perfectly reasonable, if the warnings were given in the first place free of bias or not based on political or religious leanings, or on who the poster is rather than what he/she/they said (as opposed to how it was said, and with regard to what the hopefully clearly defined limits are regarding content, as I mentioned above).

Which was a bad call. That poster delights in attacking us Americans for being bad, bad racist people. Does he get warned for that? No, instead Martin gets warned for pointing out “Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye ; and, behold, a beam is in thine own eye*?”.

Martin was basically calling him a hypocrite. I mean, you can’t call someone a hypocrite in the Pit, when you can call them a goat-felcher?

And since when can’t posters mention another posters nationality, when that poster makes a big deal about it? Does not Mr Dibble attack us for being Americans? or is that OK?

That might be Ok, except at least one of out Mods hangs out in a formum on another board which delights in attacking pretty much everyone here. You can’t hang out in such a forum and not be infected by it.

I don’t know which mod you’re talking about, or what other board, but I can’t say I’m surprised.

I don’t think I’ve attacked another poster for being American. Not having truck with American exceptionalism is not, of course, the same thing.

He probably means me and he is both incorrect and misrepresenting things.
The other board is Giraffe Board that has one forum that is mostly devoted to Snark. I think he thinks I formed a negative impression of him based on the snark threads and not the dozens of reports about him here when I became a mod here. I was barely aware of him at all until I became a moderator at the Straight Dope.

GB has a large Games forums for MAFIA players, not my thing. But it has this awesome Megapoll forum that I love the hell out of and post to often and run megapolls in. Then it just has the rest of the board which is general discussion and support.

I’m going to leave it at this though to just clear up his remark. There should be no further discussion of DrDeth’s thoughts about a different board here in this thread.

As a Moderator: I’m making this official, no more on this subject of DrDeth here.

Modnote: Not the thread for that discussion either. Posters are welcome to start a thread on it, but it doesn’t belong in this one.

The problem with starting another thread about it is that I know from talking to mods that it would be shut down immediately and probably corn-fielded. So are you, as a mod, giving us permission to open a thread about your posting on the Giraffe board? And can we link to your posts there?

Because if the answer is no, it’s a pretty crappy use of your mod powers to give your point of view on your posting there and then shut down any other discussion from people that have another view of your posting there.

My Modnote was not about DrDeth’s post but about something since removed. It was a response to crowmanyclouds.

You’re welcome to your opinion that my post is crappy but I can’t give permission to start such a thread. You could PM engineer_comp_geek about it maybe he’ll OK it for an ATMB thread. I don’t mind discussing it.

I wasn’t talking about, crowmanyclouds, I never even saw his post. I was talking about your post where you said DrDeth was “incorrect” and “misrepresenting” things. You then posted your view that your posting history on Giraffe was limited to games threads, which both you and I know is wrong. You then shut down further discussion about it.

That’s the crappy modding, putting out your side and knowing that nobody can reply to it because of board rules. You should have left out your whole commentary and just said no more discussion. Using your mod abilities to benefit yourself is crappy modding.

If you are going to enforce the special Giraffe board rule on posters, then mods shouldn’t be able to talk about it either.

He did?

Mafia is my kinda thing, though.

… Anyone fancy a game? No? Maybe later.

Moderator Note

Let’s not have any more discussion of Giraffe, please. The topic of this thread is moderator actions and whether they should be public or private. Focus on that.

That is OK, but why is What Exit making rulings in a forum where he is not the Moderator, on issues that may embarrass him? That is the very definition of “conflict of interest”. He should not have been allowed to make those rulings.

And coming in, saying a bunch of crap about me, then saying “No more discussion, I get the final word as I am a Moderator” is abuse of power.

This is the kind of Moderator action this thread is about. Abuse of authority, conflict of interest. What Exit has shown her he can not be trusted with the authority of a Moderator, he has abused it.

He should resign.

Modding based on gossip is a bad policy.

What part of do not discuss the Giraffe Boards on the SDMB do you not understand?

The issue is not really whether or not What Exit should Post in another MB. Sure, stifle discussion about that, fine. We should not have brought that up, but that is NOT the issue.

The issue is not really whether or not discussion should have been shut down in the other thread.

The issue is whether or not a Mod should shut down a complaint about his own actions. The only answer to that is No. That is a clear and obvious conflict of interest.

Shutting down that thread is 'circling the wagons"= “we can’t allow any serious complaints about a fellow Mod.”

A conflict of interest is a serious complaint . This needs to be taken seriously and not just shut down.

Moderator Warning

When something is closed, it’s closed. Do not post the same thing in multiple different threads and send moderators a PM with it as well.

Poster suspended until tomorrow to prevent further obsessive posting.

When a poster, even an annoying and obsessive poster, complains about moderation, suspending that poster for such complaints is not a good look.