Should moderator actions be in public or in private?

Hmm, I think I’ll start a war with all the mods that way no one can moderate me!

Haha, it’s funny but over on Wikipedia that’s a tactic that some people take with administrators. They try to pick fights so that later they can claim that any action they take against them is personal. Unfortunately for them, it doesn’t work. If you attack an admin they can sanction you for violating the policy against personal attacks, and as long as it was clearly a personal attack and the sanction isn’t disproportionate there is nothing preventing the admin from taking action.

I don’t agree, but for a moment let’s grant that this is a true statement. So what? Where does the Straight Dope Message Board in its rules guarantee that you won’t be moderated by someone with a conflict of interest against you?

If you threaten to sue the Dope and the Dope bans you, is that a conflict of interest? If so, so what?

Should Zuckerberg not be allowed to ban you from Facebook for posting claims that he drinks the blood of children to stay young because that’s a conflict of interest?

So, it has to be written down in the Rules or else it is not wrong? :roll_eyes:

He drinks their blood! OMG, today I learned. I have to go repost that!

After all the bitching and moaning about the rules being unclear, nebulous, and made up on the fly now we get someone appealing to completely non-existent rules.
The entertainment value of this place goes up every day.

Yes, exactly - my entire moral code derives from the SDMB registration agreement. That’s precisely the message I was trying to communicate to you - excellent work deciphering my intent so quickly!

Speaking of WhatExit? and public modding. I still have not received an answer from him on whether or not he hid my post from everyones view until he could comprise his defense and shut down any replies to it post. If my post was really so bad that enough posters flagged it that it was automatically removed by Discourse, why then after he had his post ready, did my post reappear totally unmodded and acceptable. What exactly did all these posters find objectionable in my post? Did all mods receive notice of this terrible post of mine but come to an agreement it was ok in such a short time? All of this in about five minutes in a thread that had no posters after I posted. If only the mods worked this fast on everything.

What are you talking about? I’m a little lost.

You aren’t gonna receive an answer outside the Pit, like I said. So since you aren’t gonna let this go, I answered you in the Pit.

I’m going to PM you since apparently the post was so offensive it was disappeared by the system while you composed your defense of posting on Giraffe.

Oh noes! A giraffe board member pits a Doper! Whatever shall I do?

I’m completely lost. On another Discourse board with different settings, I know how a mod can hide a post, and then unhide it. I don’t know that a mod can even do that here.

Moderator Action

I don’t know what’s so difficult about the concept “we don’t allow board wars here”, but you’ve managed to derail another unrelated thread into another giraffe complaint.

Since this thread has long since moved past its original topic, I think we’re done here. Thread closed.