I pit MordecaiB

Since you’re apparently not gonna drop this, I’ll admit it where it isn’t against the rules - I reported you for trying to start a board war within moments of you making that post, since I was already in the thread, and apparently that was enough to flag your post until a mod cleared it. But that’s not why I’m pitting you; this thread is for mocking your delusions of grandeur. Nobody gives nearly enough of a rat’s ass about your stupid fucking post to “hide it from public view”. You aren’t Deep Throat, you’re fucking Bozo the Clown. Leave W.E. alone.

The conspiracy ramblings continue!

What kind of cliquey fucking idiot are you? Are you a 16 year old girl who insists on everyone wearing pink on Wednesdays?

I don’t think a single poster (including a mod) can hide a post here. I’m not 100% sure, but when I’ve seen hidden posts, it’s taken like 3 reports to do it. I didn’t follow this one in real time, but I’m pretty sure that if the post got hidden, a bunch of dopers flagged it.

Which makes sense, because he was trying to start a board war.

Yep. Either a Mod intentionally hid it or it was auto-hidden for too many flags. Like you, I am certain it was the latter.

I know how a mod can hide a post by his lonesome on a different discourse board with different settings. I honestly don’t think we can do that here. Maybe I need to test that… No, seriously, I’ve only seen that (here) when there were multiple flags.

We can DELETE posts, but that’s different.

If you want to test your supermod powers on my post, please feel free.

Okay, I take it back. It is technically possible for me to hide a post and then unhide it. Neat. Not sure how useful that is, but neat.

Thanks, JaneDoe.

Here’s the auto-message I just received.

Hello,

This is an automated message from Straight Dope Message Board to let you know that your post was hidden.

Your post was flagged for moderator attention : the community feels something about the post requires manual intervention by a staff member.

This post was hidden due to flags from the community, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.

However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff.

For additional guidance, please refer to our community guidelines.

@puzzlegal has the POWER!

How many flags are required from ordinary users to hide a post?

Dunno. It might vary by type of flag. That is, spam flags might be treated differently from “all other” flags. There are a ton of options in the admin panels, and I think that’s something the admin can adjust.

I feel like it’s typically 2-3 flags on hidden posts that I’ve reviewed as a mod. But I can’t say that I’ve taken detailed notes or anything.

I suppose if groups of users start abusing flagging to hide posts the mods can stamp on them.

Can you see how many people flagged @mordecaiB’s post, or do the notices get deleted after being dealt with?

Theoretically, I could. But

1. it’s a huge PITA. The thing I hate most about Discourse is that it hides anything it thinks you have already “finished”. So it’s hard to find the thread you just read, or the moderation that’s been ticked off as handled. And Discourse is especially unfriendly about looking through flags that have been handled.
  2. It would be inappropriate for me to tell you the answer, so I don’t really have any motive to do it.

I don’t think I’ve seen a ‘hidden’ flagged post that I couldn’t click on and read.

I thought modding decisions were public here? Does that not include whether a mod chose to hide a post?

IIRC I saw one that said it would be deleted after a certain amount of time if not edited, and settings here prevent editing an old post. I don’t know if it eventually was deleted.

The mods have slapped people down for frivolous reports before, and in Discourse a report is just a PM to the mod group. So they’d be able to keep track, and warn repeat offenders. No worse than any other kind of bad behavior.

You didn’t ask about the decision,

That’s what I was thinking… if they realised it was happening. The same few people flagging a post within a short time of each other would be what to look for.

That wasn’t a flagged post, it was a user-deleted one I’m reasonably certain.