I pit MordecaiB

The number of people who flagged the post would reveal whether it was WE who hid it, or the system.

Nah, it was defo a flagged one. I’ve seen user-deleted posts and they are different. In fact I deleted one myself to see what happened.

If the system hid posts then the mods wouldn’t need to hide spam.

I tested it too, just now Jane. It may get hidden again.

The system is actually extremely good at hiding spam. Some gets through and is flagged by posters. But if I log into Discourse early in the morning there can be half a dozen posts that the system hid (until a moderator looks at them) because the system thinks they are spam. It’s almost always right, too.

Hmm, are there different system rules for spam reports vs the others?

I don’t think the mods need to reveal any kind of information to debunk that sort of bullshit.

I think there is a system that flags spam automatically, without being reported.

It’s painfully obvious to the mods when the same one or two people flag a lot of stuff in a short time period.

Oh I’m pretty sure y’all keep your bonfire for board wars flaming all day and night over there but we’re not supposed to mention it here at all.

I wonder if reporting the issue quickly enough is a factor. So I tried reporting your post right away using the something else tag. Did your post get hidden?

I’m a poster here, and I’m not trying to start a thread war with myself; so your babbling really has no connection with reality.

Sure. The system never auto-reports something as inappropriate or off-topic, because it can’t tell. But it can tell that a brand new poster who hasn’t read a single post just posted a commercial link.

But also, when you report a post it gives you several options (we’ve asked posters to stick to “spam” and “something else” but there are two others) and the system treats them slightly differently.

Nope. And you really should have asked permission first before generating spurious flags.

I was gonna suggest we try flagging one post to see how many reports it takes, but only if a mod agrees.

That’s fair, my thirst for knowledge got ahead of me there.

Our scientists were so busy asking whether or not they could that they didn’t stop to ask whether or not they should.

Lol. Ours too. Air cooled nuclear reactor with graphite moderators… mutter mutter.

[Moderating]
It’s not a big deal, but experimenting with board features should properly go in ATMB. Please open a thread there to continue this.
[/Moderating]

This already reads like an ATMB thread. Please, more scorn heaped on mordechai!

sorry Miller.

Yeah, my apologies, too.