Should religious schools be able to accept vouchers and exclude gay students?

High school senior came ‘out’ - and was expelled

Should religious schools be able to accept vouchers and exclude gay students?

Part of longish article.

[sub]

[/sub]

No. Homophobic motherfuckers.

Of course not. Sad, sad excuses for human beings.

I don’t really know what to say to that. This isn’t the 60’s anymore, and these ignorant disgraces to Christian love need to figure that out. Homosexuality isn’t a disease.

They should get them for false advertising - that isn’t a very Christian attitude.

Ask them where in The Bible ORIENTATION is forbidden. Chapter and verse, please. Not action. Orientation.

[Carlin]
It doesn’t say that shalt not WANNA.
[/Carlin]

Not to mention, since when is excluding people a Christian ethic? If these people are truly followers of Christ, isn’t this a great opportunity to reach out to a sinner? (Their characterization, not mine.) And I don’t mean by forcing him into some sort of questionable counseling, either; I mean by showing him that the Love of God transcends the sinful act.

Narrow-minded bigotry != Christianity.

Frankly, it is way past time to add sexual orientation to the ranks of those protected from discrimination by Federal law.

Knorf

Answering both questions in the OP:

No to vouchers

No to expelling gay students.

Especially no to both at once.

There was a similar situation in a private high school near where I live. The problem the high school faced was expelling one student versus losing 30 percent of the student body. Many parents threatened to withdraw their children if the one was allowed to stay. There were lawsuits filed on both sides, the results have not been determined yet. Vouchers are not used in my state so that part cannot be questioned. And what are the parents of the others students saying, their opinion could make a big difference.

I think there is probably a lot more to this story than we’re hearing. Should be interesting to watch the outcome of the court case.

Whether you a pro or con on the homosexual question, the law is pretty clear. Government contracts are denied to those who exclude individual based on age, ethnicity,sex, religion, health and sexual preference (unless your in the military). Given these criteria, I can see no reason for an exemption except to curry political favor.

That truly is appalling.

I’m wondering about the “counselling to change orientation” part. Is that even really possible? I think the “best” they could do would be to teach the kid to lie to himself and everyone else.

At any rate, even if the school can legally exclude him, they should have made it really, REALLY, clear before he even started, what the rules were.

How’d they find out about him, anyway? I smell a rat.

This time, I’m going to take the counter-argument and say this young man is much better off out of that high school. Assuming the school is full of children who, like their parents, believe homosexuality is inherently immoral, and given the way kids treat those who are different for even morally neutral reasons (at least, I’m assuming that in America being English or handicapped is morally neutral), from what I’ve experienced, the remaining two or three years have the potential to be really awful. Jeffrey may get a better academic education at this school, but if that education comes at the price of being ridiculed, of being told he is a sinner, of being made socially unacceptable, is it worth it? He’s already had his trust betrayed once and nastily so.

I would say, if a school wants to discriminate against students because they are not heterosexual or because they don’t belong to a particular religion, odds are that if forced to accept such students, they will treat them badly enough to make any benefits they provide dubious at best. Then again, I’m also cynical and biased thanks to my own experiences.

CJ

The expelled the kid because he didn’t live up to their idea of Godliness?

Seems to me they would want to keep him, see if they could bring him back in to the fold, so to speak. At the very least, try to make him feel like they wanted him…

But to answer the question, absolutely NOT. IMO, the whole voucher system is a plan to get the state to pay for their kids private education at school which won’t accept "those’ kind of people.

No to the voucher thing, and yes to the gay expulsion thing.

It’s a private school, and they have the right to do that.

But they’re still big assholes. Big, huge, gaping assholes. I wouldn’t want my kid to attend a school that used sexual orientation as an admission point. The kid should be happy he got tossed. There are other educational institutions that don’t rely on religious bullshit to guide who and what they teach.

No to the voucher thing, and yes to the gay expulsion thing.

It’s a private school, and they have the right to do that.

But they’re still big assholes. Big, huge, gaping assholes. I wouldn’t want my kid to attend a school that used sexual orientation as an admission point. The kid should be happy he got tossed. There are other educational institutions that don’t rely on religious bullshit to guide who and what they teach.

I’m curious–would having an expulsion from a private school on his academic record hurt his chances to get into college/university? :expressionless:

There is no federal protection based on sexual orientation.

This situation points to exactly why vouchers in general are a bad idea and why vouchers for private religious schools are an excetionally bad idea.

What about religious schools that accepted lesbians/gays? Both the all-girl school that I went to and the all-boy school my brothers went to had openly gay students and had anti-discrimination policies spelled out clearly. PFLAG was invited to speak at my brother’s school and the priest at my school blessed homosexual marriages.

In fact, gays were treated better at our schools than in the public schools.

Yes on vouches, no on the excluding gays.

Hang on.
He was expelled for THINKING?
Not acting?

He wasn’t out at school, no-one made any sort of complaint against him, jimminy these people have some messed up values.

I’m sure they still have students who are atheists, possibly some who break underage drinking laws, maybe some shoplifters, and definitely some fornicators.

Why not expel them too?

I can argue with someone over their feeling on homosexuality until I’m blue in the face, and in the end, it’s their choice as to what they believe. At it’s best, that’s what the American constitution is about. Freedom of thought and belief.

BUT
When you ask me to pay for and support your narrow minded views, then you are infringing on MY freedoms.

So if this school was up front about their policies, and didn’t require that the general population pay to support them, then I can disagree with their ideas, but uphold their right to have those opinions.

In this case, they should have their public funding pulled away so fast that their heads spin. Please take your bigotry and go play in the corner by yourselves