[QUOTE=bluethree]
I was sooooo hoping I could lure some schmuck into this argument.
[/QUOTE]
So, you were being a troll AND being insulting as well? I see…good combination there.
[QUOTE=bluethree]
Why yes, I was in the military for six years.
[/QUOTE]
And so was I. As is my son.
[QUOTE=bluethree]
Find out for me what unit Jim Webb’s son is in and where exactly that unit is located.
[/QUOTE]
I wasn’t aware Jim Webb was President…this is certainly a news flash for me. While I have no intention of wasting my time doing your ‘challenge’, I can tell you that finding out his unit isn’t all that challenging. For instance, we have news reports of several incidents where his son was in in a combat situation…as well as where the incident took place (I’m reading about how his vehicle was next too one that was hit by a road side bomb). It doesn’t take a mastermind to figure things out from there…if Jim Webb’s son was a priority target for some terror group (like, oh, say the Presidents DAUGHTERS would be to muslim extremists) I’m sure they could puzzle it out. Had you not been an acknowledged troll AND insulting perhaps I would bother…prolly not though, as frankly its kind of a stupid challenge.
[QUOTE=bluethree]
But I still maintain that someone who was dedicated to the idea of serving our country in a military capacity could join the military and serve with valor without the press reporting on her every move.
[/QUOTE]
Then you do so in the face of incredible ignorance…and ignorance of even your own example. Google ‘Jim Webb’s son Iraq’ and read through the hundreds of news articles about him…and this is only a SENATORS son. Not the daughter (or son) of a sitting President of the US.
[QUOTE=bluethree]
Find out for me what unit Jim Webb’s son is in and where exactly that unit is located. We already know it’s Ramadi, Iraq. What unit is it? Where exactly are they stationed? Find someone who will say he’s in the same unit. What is young Jim Webb’s exact job description?
[/QUOTE]
I’m not going to post this information on this space for obvious reasons, but I found LCPL Webb’s unit information in just a few minutes.
[QUOTE=DanBlather]
If you look in the dictionary next to “strawman” you will see your post next to it. No one has suggested that Bush force his children to join the military. On the other hand, if Bush truly believes that “This war is more than a clash of arms. It is a decisive ideological struggle, and the security of our nation is in the balance” yet still can’t convince his own children (or those of anyone in his cabinet) to joinm, then that is an indication of something.
[/QUOTE]
Please stop. You’re making liberals look stupid. We have the House. We have the Senate. In '08, we’ll get the White House. We don’t need to launch a crusade against a few innocents simply because we don’t like the President’s rhetoric.
[QUOTE=e-bow]
In '08, we’ll get the White House. We don’t need to launch a crusade against a few innocents simply because we don’t like the President’s rhetoric.
[/QUOTE]
I wouldn’t be so cocky about getting the House. A Democrat victory seemed certain 2000 and was practically guaranteed in 2004. And look what happened.
Never underestimate your opponent or your own party’s incompetence.
[QUOTE=Usram]
The OP might make slightly more sense if it were one of Tony Blair’s children heading for Iraq. I am not aware of any surge in support for the government’s position due to young princes joining the armed forces. Government is separate from crown here, remember.
[/QUOTE]
That’s the crux of the whole difference between monarchy and republic. Remember, the British people are descended from ancient tribes who ritually sacrificed their kings for the benefit of the land and the people. Of old, it was considered the proper duty of a king to lead troops into battle, and exposing his person to danger was considered an acceptable risk in the scheme of things. Who knows what atavistic sentiments are still connected to royalty being willing to take one for the team… so in that context the sacrifice of a prince seems within the proper order of things. If so, it’s a relic of ancient beliefs in magic and mysticism.
A republic, on the other hand, a polity controlled by and set up for businessmen, elects a citizen from themselves to run the nation’s business. Any mystical trappings of royalty applied to such a figure would feel repugnant to our Constitution.