Show me some pictures of your home town!

Strange house with statues in my street,

Panorama pic of Amsterdam. [ where the green stoplight stands, my street begins]

My favorite spot [click on the vitual tour]

Panaroma pic of the street I was born in,

Lets try the second one again

This here link is my hometown from above - and you have no idea how beautiful it is at night. I wish I could get one good shot in of it.

That’s Lake Tahoe looming above us. It’s quite pretty, but vaguely threatening.

~Tasha

They started designing it in 1896. And culturally-the nineteenth century lasted until the First World War anyways. :slight_smile:

Main Street in 1928, with no street lights, but two talking picture theaters. Here it is today, largely converted from retail to services, like banks and restaurants.

Campustown, the university business district, in 1941. The Varsity Theater is the only one of these businesses still operating. Iowa State College is now a University, and of course, no longer makes its own ice cream. :dubious:

Beardshear Hall, ISU’s administration building today.
Here it is in 1937.

The Campanile, symbol of ISU, in 1910 as a ten-bell chime tower. Today it houses a full carillon of 50 bells.

Bob’s Tip-Top Restaurant, Lincoln Way east of S. Duff, early '50s. Still there, minus the “restaurant” signs. Now a semi-crummy bar that serves chili at lunchtimes.

Looking up Welch Street, probably about 1900. Reverse angle, a century later.

Chicago & North Western Depot, Main Street, 1910. Here it is today, minus the flowers and the C&NW. Last passenger service came through in 1962; the freights don’t stop.

The blizzard of New Year’s Day, 1942. Since all weather reports were cancelled due to the war, no one knew it was coming.

The tornado of November 12, 2005.

The Square Deal Oil Co., Duff near Fifth. Birthplace in 1932 of Gasohol, the first ethanol-blend gasoline. Now a parking lot.

My old hometown.

My new hometown. See that field west of Kezar Stadium? I’m in the skinny blue building facing it. ::waves::

Yikes! From that skyline, Clayton looks like it must be the 3rd or 4th largest city in Missouri. How come I’ve never heard of it?

Skyline-wise, it’s mostly absorbed by downtown St. Louis, which isn’t that far away. It’s next to Ladue, if that’s helpful. This may also help pinpoint it for you.

Here is the site of the unfortunate incident that put my small town on the map and captured the attention of the entire nation for a few days in late March of 1979.

And here is a more pleasant picture. I’ve ridden that train before. Kind of a touristy thing, but a scenic ride, nonetheless.

I get the feeling that I’m supposed to see something weird in those pics, but I can’t see it. Could someone explain?

I don’t have trime right now to go out and take some pictures, but here are some ones I managed to ifnd online:

Here is probably the most notable landmark in my town.

The southern half of Main Street. Also some dude in a yellow jacket.

And here we half the north side of Main Street.

The nadstand on the town green.

Actually, I’m from West Allis . I just spent so much time here growing up that I consider this my “home” town. Googling for a pic has me all nostalgic too, now.

Hm, the only place so far I’d like to move to based on the pictures is Amsterdam, though I’m sure many other places are ok too.

This place shows up Leeds as an industrial city,

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/leeds/leeds.htm

This is a good website, check out the views over York and also of the Penines in the Yorkshire section.

http://www.webbaviation.co.uk/Portfolio.htm

and some touristy stuff

http://www.pbase.com/bmcmorrow/leeds&page=all

I wish the picture was bigger, but here is a nice shot of Calgary, with the ever expanding skyline and the Rockies in the background. Sigh, I miss it.

My original hometown is best known for my alma mater. If you reload the page you get additional pictures. The wallpaper at the bottom of the page has better pics. MSU has a beautiful campus.

Wikipedia has some pretty decent pictures of my current (for the past 20+ years) hometown. There’s a lot of residential development going on downtown. There are some pretty good pics and links on the homepage of the Downtown Residents Association site. Oh…and this is what my neighborhood will look like this weekend. There are lots of hills and curves in not much space, so the bike races are really fun to watch.

GT

Ah, West Allis. Childhood home of Jeffrey Dahmer.
Actually I have good memories of West Allis from my high school years cruising up and down Hwy100 stopping at Red Carpet Lanes or parking in front of Southtown theatre listening to Beastie Boys License to Ill.