In the discussions about Discourse, there is a lot of good information from people that I’d like to acknowledge and let people know I appreciate their input. In other discussions, there are times when I want to acknowledge that I read and heard someone’s thoughts and appreciate their writing it. But it’s difficult to do in the thread without feeling like I’m interrupting the flow of the conversation.
At Reddit, there are at least 5 ways to thank people.
- Just say thanks in the thread. That’s not only culturally accepted, but people will upvote you for saying thanks as an encouragement. Since the conversations are threaded, the thanks doesn’t hijack or drag down the conversation.
- Upvote. That’s at least an acknowledgement that the person read what you posted and is acknowledging that they heard you.
- DM the person. Generally people are super nice about receiving thanks since the notification system is the same as for getting a comment, so it’s not an inconvenience to reply back to them from that screen.
- Give someone an award. There are lot of awards on Reddit.
- Give people money in the form of gold or silver.
On the Dope
- Slows down the thread,
- Not possible,
- Possible, but not common or as accepted, I think.
- Not possible
- Not possible
I’m not suggesting that the Dope implement any of the systems on Reddit. I just gave the comparison to show how one system allows for a lot more opportunities for acknowledgement.
Given that the only two options of showing thanks either slow the thread down or is not commonly done, which is more accepted and encouraged here? Are there other ways of showing thanks on the Dope that I haven’t thought about?
Would you like to see more or less thanks here?