Showing thanks on the Dope

OK, maybe you can convince me of how to adjust my attitude.

I went to look at your post history to see how many times you posted the word thanks. Anyone can do this. (Search icon, @username, thanks. . then hit options and sort by latest in the right hand drop down)

For all of 2020 and 2021 so far, there are 20 posts that are shown. Maybe I didn’t catch all of them, but several of them were actually ‘no thanks’ so maybe that will even out. But just using that number, that’s a little over one ‘thanks’ a month.

Just as another reference, in just 2021, I did the same search on myself and found 14 posts. That’s like one a week, and I’ve often thought of adding a thanks but didn’t want to add more to the thread.

If, one day for some reason, you found that your fellow posters made you feel more grateful than once a month, how would you express that? And what would happen if everyone here felt more like their fellow posters were more worthy of thanks on a regular basis?

Yes, I agree with you that thanking someone once a month doesn’t add to slowing down communication. It also doesn’t add to poster appreciation much. My OP was about adding poster appreciation in a way that doesn’t hinder the thread.

Thanks for linking this thread to another one. (Yay to Discourse for alerting me to it!)

I find it telling that you actually commented on a thank you. If it were an every day occurrence, I think people wouldn’t have time to do that.

I also did a search on how many thanks you posted in threads. For all of 2020 and 2021, it was 33 including these posts. On average, that’s a little more than 2 thanks a month. Same question as above. What would you do if there were more posts you felt grateful about? What should others do if they felt like more posts were worthy of thanks?

There were some posters who left in June 2020. But I’m not convinced that many left because they didn’t like Discourse. Certainly not anywhere near the number who said they would. A couple weeks back, I did a search on the word Discourse and then looked at the threads that had something to say about it. Then for every person who was negative about Discourse, I looked to see if they were still posting. Most were still posting. (A few did leave) Ironically, it was those people who said they liked Discourse that are some of the ones who wandered away.

I have a theory about that, but it’s probably a discussion for another thread.

hey cool I liked that post

I also appreciate you sticking around to remove spam. I really liked the shortcut to the drafts link. I have drafts from last November! that I’m still going to post. :slight_smile: Thanks for hanging around to answer questions about Discourse. I’d also be happy to see you posting in other places too.