shows canceled first season- that should not have been canceled.

Strange Luck, with DB Sweeny, had some real promise that was never realized.

I could second several choices I already saw (Clone High is great) but ones I didn’t see (sorry if I missed them):

Profit (a show way ahead of its time)
Trophy Wife (with a better title this show would have lasted 5 seasons).
Almost Human (a really interesting Sci Fi show)
Grosse Point (also a little ahead of its time)
Kitchen Confidential (I suspect someone will take another crack at this)
Awake (probably couldn’t have lasted very long but still felt unfinished).

They actually wanted to give Quark a regular season run, but by the time they broached the subject, a number of the cast were not available, and they had already destroyed the sets. :frowning:

It hasnt aged well, sadly.

Came in to mention Forever. I think it ran for two seasons. Or the one season had a mini-story payoff in the middle, only to leave us with a bigger cliffhanger at the end.

I also liked Alphas. That was two seasons though, I’m sure.

That was a good show. :frowning:

No, what I meant by “Why on earth they copied that title for yet another medical drama, , i don’t know.” is that they new show by that title is a medical drama. The original was a detective show.

Forever was a crime drama, but the lead was a medical examiner, so it sorta crossed two lines.

Okay. Okay, I’m going to just say it, and let the chips fall where they may: *Homeboys in Outer Space. *

I confuse this one in my head with Forever. I liked this too. Also loved the Dirk Gently series with the Hobbit as Todd. That one lasted a bit longer. The creator, Max Landis, started gathering sexual assault accusations, so that was the end of that.

The trick for me is to not watch any TV show that involves time travel.

UFO - the suits got in the way and decided that a bigger budgeted show was necessary and they gave us the ridiculous Space 1999 in UFO’s place. It’s been nearly 50 years and I still harbor ill will.

I actually loved the sitcom of the same name, starring a post-Gilligan Bob Denver. Though it managed to run two seasons.

Awake was also a great one. Well written and constructed. It deserved more than one season.

Police Squad! is the only one I can think of that hasn’t been mentioned yet. It was better than the spin-off Naked Gun movie series.

It wasn’t the sort of show I’m normally drawn to, but Christy was surprisingly good. It was based on the novel by Catherine Marshall about a school teacher in Appalachia before the First World War. Technically it had two short seasons, but there were only 21 episodes in total, approximately one normal season’s worth.

I loved that show when I was eight, but I don’t know how well it really holds up today. Sight gags are fun, but I think Arrested Development took that kind of absurdist humor to a higher plane of existence. It’s just too bad that it was cancelled in 2006 after the third season and never picked up by the Home Builder’s Organization.

Stranger

Ahhh, gotcha. And yes, I agree that there will never be any shortage of television shows about doctors, lawyers, and first responders. :slight_smile: I hadn’t planned to watch the new New Amsterdam, figuring that The Resident was enough medical drama for me for one season, but I happened to notice one night that NBC was rerunning some pilot episodes and that was one of them. I watched it, and liked it.

IIRC the lead on Forever Knight was actually a vampire. Yes, i watched that show too and was disappointed when it went away.

Another vote for Brimstone. And of course Firefly :frowning:

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was a mess by the middle of its run and its cancellation was a mercy kill. (and I’ll gladly take that argument up in a different thread).

I did watch the first several episodes of Freaks & Geeks in its original run; I was the right age & the right demographic and I couldn’t connect to it at all. I haven’t tried to watch it since - maybe it’s one of those things that looks better through the lens of time than it did when it was on tv every week.

I liked Action (watched that during its original run - there was a lot of moments that I can’t believe they got away with on network tv. It pushed the line even for FOX.), but I’m not sure where it would have gone in a second season. It kind of ended.

From the BI & imdb lists:

• I really loved “Cupid” and I’d like to have seen where that went over time. There are actors that I still remember from their bit parts on that show.
  • Enlisted was also doing really interesting things & was funny as hell. (“That lamp doesn’t even have a family!!”). It still had stories and ideas to tell if it had gone forward.

Yes.

Looks like no one has mentioned When Things Were Rotten, a Mel Brooks comedy about Robin Hood, with Dick Van Patten and Bernie Kopell (1975). It was pretty lightweight but fun.

Another Mel Brooks attempt was The Nutt House, a short-lived hotel comedy series loosely based on Fawlty Towers but set in NYC, starring Harvey Korman and Chloris Leachman (1989). I thought it was funny, but obviously NBC didn’t and they never aired the last episode filmed.

I agree with that. It took some time to find its footing, but by the Christmas episode, it had hit its stride. Then it went into reruns and the later episodes just fell apart.

A shame really.

I loved both those shows so much. Men In Tights was Mel’s remake of When Things Were Rotten in a lot of ways, but not as good IMHO.