Shows that jumped the shark but still stayed pretty good

Yes, you hate the phrase ‘jump the shark’, and can’t wait to use the hilariously witty and original comment ‘I think that ‘jump the shark’ has jumped the shark’. Ahaha! Ahahaha! Aha!

Now.

Most of the time when people say a show has jumped the shark, they seem to mean it’s became bad. However, this doesn’t always happen. There have been some great programs where there’s been a noticeable drop in quality, but the program was so great it’s still stayed pretty good. For instance, IMHO, Daria (one of the greatest shows on TV, ever, not even the Fashion Club-centered episodes could ruin it) jumped the shark with Tom’s arrival, but still stayed pretty good.

Oz. I think that show holds the record for shark jumpage.

From season 2 on, I think it jumped at least once an episode.

I liked it though and never missed an ep. Most entertaining prison soap opera ever!

Well, my most obvious answer would have to be The Simpsons. Most would agree they it has JTS, but it still has such wonderful moments.

Newhart jumped the shock after Steph and whatsisface had a baby, but Newhart himself is so good with his dry humor and his ability to get the most out of his fellow actors that it was worth watching even after the writing, which was never topnotch, disintegrated into so much soggy pap.

How many prison soap operas are there anyways?
I would have to go with Friends. It doesn’t have the charm it had in its earlier seasons, and IMHO JTS when Chandler and Monica got together, but it is still funny.

Since it’s wrong to have a SDMB thread that doesn’t mention it: “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” It started going downhill as soon as they graduated high school, and then really nosedived after the switch to UPN. All I do anymore is complain about how it’s not as good as it used to be, and compare it to the older episodes, and find faults with the episodes.

But, I still watch it every week and there’s usually at least one good moment in every episode. Sometimes several good moments. There’s a reason The Gaspode always gives the recaps with a “Buffyverse score” and a “regular TV score”. Other shows that I used to love, like “The X-Files” and “Friends,” became unwatchable, but “Buffy” is still a perfectly fine show.

Three’s Company never was quite as good after Chrissy left, but still a lot of fun.

Just the one. :smiley:

What, it’s not I was lying . . .

Funny, I was just thinking about this subject tonight. I always thought Cheers kind of jumped the shark when Diane left, but I was watching a “Rebecca” episode on Nick at Nite, and I have to admit I laughed quite a few times.