Sick to death of the hacking attempts

Oh, please. I look on Gaia and here’s the first thing I see:

Sound familiar?

Based on some rough math based on the average #'s I posted upthread, 5,000,000 impressions a month should equal about 100,000 click-throughs per month. With a $10 avg CPM, the revenue would be about $10k per month. I have a feeling that the SDMB gets well below that average CPM though, so it’s probably less than that but that’s a rough guesstimate based on what I know of digital ad sales.

With the costs involved with keeping this site running (I have no idea how much that would be), I think it’s safe to say that nobody is getting rich off of this board.

I know this wasn’t really on topic, but I think it helps give some perspective.

Oh, I hadn’t realized they had a McAfee alert six weeks ago. I’ll consider my argument thoroughly rebutted.

And if the site actually took a more proactive approach regarding stamping down autoplaying video ads, ads with sound, mouse-over rollout ads and ads serving malware, many people who have been forced to install adblocking software may not have done so in the first place.

Giraffe, no disrespect. But you can’t seriously think what you’ve presented up to this point constitutes an argument. You and a few other people have this fixed notion that we’re being flooded with malware, and your idea of proof is some complaint threads on ATMB. This is what’s known as anecdotal evidence. I can spend ten seconds and find the same types of complaints on the board you’re holding up as a paragon. A reasonable conclusion would be that both boards have problems of unknown frequency and people bitch. Your conclusion is that our problems are way worse. You’re entitled to your opinion. Have a pleasant afternoon.

Yes, but the anecdotal evidence is stacking up, and it’s starting to sound convincing.

The last thread complaining about malware on these boards was only two days ago:

People are getting malware from this site, and it’s either Google or Rubicon that’s dishing it up.

It does seem to be a problem here and it is dissapointing to have such responses which sound so rude.

I’ve read these boards for nigh on a decade now on both PCs and Macs, and have never had any issue with malware. So there’s an anecdote for the other side.

You’re right, we had an upsurge a few days ago and I’ve been remiss in not pursuing it. I have to finish up a couple things right now but let me get back to it later this evening and maybe we can start to get this sorted out.

why do I have to be directly “wronged” in order to dislike something?

Maybe not rich, but you don’t seem to be hurting.

Same here.

Because most people don’t get "pissed off’ by something that doesn’t harm them.

I bet you play a mean game of Russian Roulette.

I’m considered malware by many, and I’ve infected this site since around 2003, so there’s another anecdote for you.

I think the mods have been quite responsive about this, and not rude at all.

It is a very frustrating problem though, and I can understand how angry a poster can get after having to deal with a very stubborn virus.

Adblock and anti-malware program suggestions are nice, but some people browse from work where we have little to no ability to modify anything. Got a pretty shitty bug on my computer Monday, so I’ll no longer be posting from work. Guess my time here will be cut down by something like 90 percent. Oh well.

She plays it with a pistol.

Thanks but Ed already gave us that perspective several posts ahead.

I do get a chuckle from the comments about using a “quality” browser that [DEL]allows[/DEL] requires you to add on and configure ad blockers and flash blockers.

IE has a flash blocker built-in, but you have to know where to look to activate it, and reconfiguring it is an all-or-nothing deal (if you ever want to re-block a site after unblocking it, you have to unblock all sites and then do each one over). The adblocker is third party.