Sick to death of the hacking attempts

EDIT—I see from another thread that people are talking about java script and other script blockers, plus java blacker in other browsers. IE has that built-in as well, and it is easier to use than the flash blocker.

Hey Missy, that’ll be enough of that talk!

I helped identify some SDMB malware ads before. I will try to capture some malware ads using Fiddler this weekend.

You da man!

What is this IE you speak of? :wink:

My browser speaks Norwegian. :smiley:

The SDMB is no longer SFW. Sorry, Charlie. :frowning:

I think I captured the malware. I just emailed the Fiddler log to Ed Zotti and Tuba Diva. It appears that an ad is installing a malicious Java application.

In addition to the various precautions already suggested (ad blocker, anti-virus, sandboxing, running on Linux), I suggest that you make sure your Java is up-to-date: Version 6 Update 30. You can check this here: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

You did? I’m not seeing it. Tuba Diva @ aol . com

I’ll give Ed a heads up, hopefully he got it. And thanks!

Yes, I sent it hours ago. Maybe it was blocked by a spam filter. If you have a backup email address, please PM it to me and I’ll send it there.

Er, you might want to read that article a little more carefully and critically.

On other websites a few flash ads have been creeping through my flashblock for unknown reasons.

Also, you might want to install Nuke anything: it permits removal of any object with a right click. Stamps out annoyances and is helpful when printing out an article without frames.

The OP: Sorry about the problem. When I had a virus scare, I installed malwarebytes: it’s one of the few antivirals that can co-exist with your existing anti-virus software. If you do online banking, Keepass password manager adds another layer of protection. The utility permits you to drag and drop passwords, which can defeat keyloggers.

OK, can you advise which part of that link implies a cavalier attitude to exploiting the sites users?

““We’re not making millions, but we’re always in the black,” Zotti cheerily reports. “So I look like a genius in a dying industry.”

Seems reasonable to me.