(sigh) Can someone reccomend a RELIABLE sata hard disk (at least 500gb)

I’ve spent all day reading reviews on ebuyer and amazon.

Long story short -

Samsung - problems, failures, DOA drives, people recommending other manufacturers.

Seagate - problems, failures, DOA drives, people recommending other manufacturers.

Western Digital - problems, failures, DOA drives, people recommending other manufacturers.

Maxtor - problems, failures, DOA drives, people recommending other manufacturers.
Argh!

I have a WD 500gb sata drive which came with my computer about 1-2 years ago and it has started to fail. So i’m looking at my options for getting new storage. It all seems to be about unreliability and problems getting them set up and working, and failures after seconds/days/weeks/months.

HALP!

Every other place sucks ass compared to New Egg.

Perhaps the problem isn’t the drives, but the sampling that occurs when you read online reviews. All disks die, and certainly some die more then others. But do you really think that a few anonymous messages amount to a disastrous reliability rating for a major manufacturer’s hard drives? 10,000’s of people don’t post when their hard drives work without a hitch.

Newegg is great; however, my last HD purchase from them delivered two DOA Western Digital drives. Sadly, I had the drives in storage for a few months before I found out they were bad, so it was too late to exchange with Newegg. WD replaced them, however, and both the replacement drives work fine so far.

As Telemark said, focusing on the poor reviews may be misleading… I didn’t find a single brand or model that didn’t have at least a few reviews complaining of drive failure.

Doh! Thanks. But newegg don’t have a UK site.

Admittedly I am concentrating on the bad reviews - It just worries me the sheer number of them. I use amazon a lot and you maybe get a SINGLE bad review when some thing has lots of good reviews (and often the bad reviewer is an idiot) so to see such a larg number of reviews by people with problems is disconcerting.

So I guess I’ll just bite the bullet and pick a drive!

So - seagate? WD? Samsung?

If you’re reading customer reviews on something like hard drives, of course the people who end up with failed or defective drives will be disproportionately represented. Don’t worry too much.

That said, Seagate 7200.11 drives had a firmware problem that sometimes resulted in data loss. It’s probably been fixed by now, but I don’t think the problematic drives were recalled, so there may still be a chance you’ll end up with one.

My impression right now is that most people seem to be recommending Western Digital as the safest choice, and have been for a couple of years at least. I’ve bought mostly Western Digital drives in the past few years and haven’t had any failures. I particularly like their Green drives, as they seem to run very cool, and are reasonably fast. I believe the 1TB drives have the lowest cost per GB.

Of course, no matter what drive you get, you should have a complete backup just in case.

I’ve had a drive from Seagate for close to four years now that I’m still using, with the only problem being my own fault (I managed to corrupt Windows :smack:) I have a newer, larger drive that’s served me fine too.

I don’t have much experience with Western Digital, but no problems so far knocks on wood

I like Western Digital and Seagate. I’ve had few problems with them over the years I’ve owned them.

I’ve had Western Digital, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi, and like, Mitsubishi.

Never lost data that wasn’t my fault. The secret is to rotate your stock. I have two copies of everything in two locations (laptop and fileserver) and I typically put a new drive in that box once a year, where the replacement is twice as big as the old disk. Failing drives ALWAYS seem to give an indication before they flat give out…they also seem to last longer if they’re on and remain on. We have an 80Gb drive in a DVR that’s, jeeze, 9 years old…is spins up slowly, but it just keeps chugging along.

I’m currently waiting for 1.5 Tb drives to hit the $100 pricepoint.

I run all WD 10K RPM drives. Zoom…

I can’t imagine cloning 400 GIG of information to backup drives… Defrag and scandisk must suck rocks and take 6+ hours???

I tend to buy from Novatech. For a while now, I’ve preferred Samsung’s drives because they’ve been quieter.

But backups are key: I have a box running Windows Home Server which backs up my workstations, and I have some USB HDDs for off-site backup.

I wouldn’t know. When I migrate from one big drive to another big drive, it usually takes a day or two, but that’s an infrequent thing. Backups aren’t deleted and moved frequently, so that minimizes fragmentation, not that unix based file systems are very susceptible to performance loss due to fragmentation.

Think 400 gig would take awhile to clone? How long would it take to recreate? :wink:

Just pick one out of a hat, and have a plan for backups. If you have good backups, your only cost is the drive and time. But at least you have your data.

I’ve relied on externals for the last several years. After 2 failures with 3.5 Western Digital SATA externals and one 3,5 external Seagate, in the last year or so have moved away from 3.5" external drives to 2.5 USB powered drives.

Toshiba 2.5 externals are my current drive of choice as they use a single wire for power and data vs less sophisticated designs that require a separate USB connection for each. They have not let me down so far, also 2.5 drives are designed to take more of a beating than 3.5 units which is a consideration when using externals which can be tipped over accidentally etc.

There is no perfect drive as they are a very precisely calibrated mechanisms that will eventually wear out and ALL of them will fail at some point, it’s not “if” but “when”. Expectations that drives are somehow “forever” are silly. Just keep your data backed up.

I have a Seagate FreeAgent Pro (eSATA) and it’s wonderful, as fast as an internal drive.

Here’s a dead cool way of replacing your HDD: have a box running Windows Home Server. Let it back up your machine. Create a WHS recovery CD. Remove the old HDDs and put in the new HDD. Boot off the recovery CD and let it recreate your machine.

Would the recovery CD have the appropriate network driver and SATA driver?

Also, how do you recover the WHS box if that hard drive fails?

Well, my fileserver has redundant and unimportant information. If the fileserver goes, I lose my backups and I lose the movies I’ve ripped to the disk. I can re-rip the movies I really care about, and the backups are a redundant copy of our laptops.

If that DOES go, I’ll immediately make another backup of our computers…it seems to be a small price to pay to use cheap backup disks without RAID.

There are firmware updates you can get from the Seagate support site if you ended up with one of these faulty drives. Unfortunately they don’t have updates yet for ALL of the drives that are supposedly faulty. I just bought a new 1Tb Barracuda that is on their list of faulty drives, but they don’t have the update for it yet. Luckily I haven’t had any issues with it yet knock on wood

This. I put off reformatting my old drive until I get the issue with my new drive resolved.

Anyway, stay away from Seagate drives for the time being.