Signing of the Constitution-Freemasons

What percentage of the signers of the US Constitution were Freemasons?

Do you want the people who helped draft the Constitution? or the people who signed the Declaration of Independence.

We might be able to come up with numbers for the question you asked, but there were cases of delegates coming and going throughout the Constitutional Convention, so a list of people from a given day may be more difficult. Since the ratification took place at the state level, I’m not sure what significance there is in identifying the delegates who happened to be at the convention when the convention approved it.

The following page lists the 55 delegates and notes the 16 who did not sign the final document. It links to a brief synopsis of their collective biographies. I did not find a Masonic reference on the site (although one delegate was named Mason).

U.S. Constitution: Founding Fathers

The only two men identified as having Masonic ties (as opposed to men whose ties did not make it into these biographical sketches) were:

Gunning Bedford, Deleware, reburied at “Masonic Home” (implying a Masonic connection), and
David Brearly, New Jersey, actively described as a Mason.

My great-grandfather is a 33rd degree mason and was grand commander of the state of Florida at one time. He explained to me that when the masons first found their place in America it was as statesmen, and they saw their role as a guardians of democracy type of thing. George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin were all 33rd degree masons, and their masonic influences can be found most notably on the money we use. The pyramid with the eye on top and the words “novus ordo seclorum” (latin for “new world order”) are both symbols of the freemasons. Today the organization is more of a service club than anything else, although it still maintains some of its original mysticism. Interestingly, the former political ties of freemasonry have since been severed, in fact the international governing body of freemasonry refuses to recognize masonry organizations which have any political connections whatsoever or force their members to back particular candidates, parties, etc.

look here.

dang.

look here.

I used to have fun with the whole Masonic/Illuminatti world-conquest thing. Then, in the early eighties, a group of Italian politicians used their Masonic lodge as the HQ of an attempted coup. Stopped seeming so funny.

The “Illuminatus” trilogy goes into a lot of crackpot theories, but they are mostly somebody else’s crackpot theories, so somebody believes them. And Adam Weisshaupt really DID look strikingly like George Washington.

I’ve said too much. Trust no one.

An interesting tidbit and a possible answer to why only sketchy records exist: secrecy is a well-known trait of the Freemasons. In literature, masons are depicted as sly and discreet individuals who use signals or cryptic language to address one another (see E.A. Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado” for an example). They don’t exactly roam the street touting the virtues of their organization. If you ask a mason, he’ll tell you the only reason he’s a member is for the betterment of himself, because he desires it. A major tenet of Freemasonry is the quest for knowledge of self and the freedom from relying on others. No man is admitted to join any freemason organization (Shriners, Scottish Rite, Knights Templar, etc.) if his motives are impure. So, when record keeping time came around, many early statesmen didn’t mention their involvement with masonry because it was a purely personal aspect of their life, much like you wouldn’t tell the IRS about your rock collection. It was seen as irrelevant and went unmentioned.

Sorry that isn’t an accurate translation. There’s no word for “world” in that phrase.

To the naive, the words translate to “new secular order” and this is valid if you use the meaning of “secular” that astronomers do, i.e. “long term”. But most people do not use that meaning so it’s not a good translation.

A better translation of novus ordo seculorum would be “new order for the ages”.

Did you ever study a foreign language, dtilque? If you have, you no doubt have run into the problem many translators have run into since language began, the fact that sometimes, to retain meaning, a translator must alter the actual wording of the translated words. The most notorious example of this is the Holy Bible, but the same can be said for translations of The Inferno, The Iliad and The Oddysey. The meaning takes precedence over the words themselves. The phrase “Novus Ordo Seclorum” (not Seculorum, as you quoted, look on a dollar bill) does not literally mean “New World Order”, but most people can understand what that is. Your translation of “new order for the ages” is probably the most accurate, but unfortunately, most of the time the meanings of the symbols on money are discussed it is in conspiratorially minded literature and thus “new world order” adds a more ominous tone. At any rate, I realize that the interpretation I cited was not linguistically accurate, but it is the one most people are familiar with. Thank you, however, for presenting a far more accurate and easily understood alternative.