Silly V8 commercial

In summary, at a barbecue, woman frowns at her male companion for putting onions on his hot dog. So he sheepishly flicks them off, and the woman is happy. The narrator implies that that drinking the V8 is an acceptable substitute for the onions. What the Jesus? Yes, they make your breath smell onion-y, but they are insanely good for you. He should be lauded for adding some nutritive vegetation to a tube of ground cowpighorsemonkey on a bun-shaped piece of bleached flour. Not shamed into drinking some shoddy, high-salty substitute instead! Are you with me? Today, we storm York!

Yes, but if she is planning on kissing him then he should forgo the onions.

But if he doesn’t eat the onions, he will lack vital nutrients. His body will decay more quickly. His gums will rot. Try covering that up with a pulpy tomato-flavored vomit.

If she’s planning on kissing him, she should eat some onions, too.

V8 is actually more nutritious than onions. A serving of V8 provides 40% of the MDV of Vitamin A, 100% of Vitamin C, 4% of calcium, and 4% of iron. Granted, it’s also 26% of your MDV for sodium, but you can get low-sodium V8.
http://www.v8juice.com/v8_vegetable_juice.asp?prod_id=2463

Onions only have Vitamin C, and not a whole lot of it, either. On this chart, a serving of raw onion only has a 10 and an orange has a 90. And to get that 10, you’d need to eat an entire onion, not just a sprinkling of raw onion on your hot dog.
http://www.childbehave.com/chapters/vitamin/toc-vitamin.html

My guess would be that she’s not planning on kissing him anyway, because if you really want to kiss somebody, you don’t care what he’s been eating. Especially if it’s at a barbecue. Sheesh, what does she expect, minty-fresh breath from somebody who’s been wolfing down ribs all afternoon? She sounds like she has unrealistic expectations, so I’d tell him, “Go with the onions, dude, enjoy yourself.”

The only beef I have with that commercial is the tune that runs in the background. Just reading about the spot is enough to get “Bum bah dah dah…bum bah dah dah dah DAH dah dah dah dah…” stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Bastards.

The issue isn’t onions. The issue is Whi-kshhhh!

I cannot improve upon the expressions of the previous two posters.

I have nothing to add, other than to say that “anti-scorbutic” is one of my favorite adjectives.

Am i the only one who thought this thread was about SUVs and pick-up trucks?

That damn Rodd Hill is nothing but an anti-scorbutic bigot.

It does have a nice ring to it.

No, but we’re the only ones to admit it.

Cooking outside on a grill does not a barbeque make. Barbeque is slowly smoked brisket, like we do it in Texas. It can be cooked in a pit in the ground, or in a big oil-drum, a smoke house, or even a converted 'frig. But grilling burgers is not barbeque.

Ribs, chicken, burgers and Polish sausage can be cooked barbeque-style; but only brisket is proper barbeque - no matter what those poseurs in Memphis, Kansas City or the Carolinas say about pork. Hot dogs are right out.

He didn’t say “In summary, beside some barbecue, woman frowns…”, he said “In summary, at a barbecue, woman frowns”. A barbecue is a gathering, whereas barbecue is a thing. You can get barbecue at a barbecue, but being a barbecue doesn’t require barbecue.

No need to roll out the hick badge so quickly.

I prefer my vegetables in the shape of Fred Flinstone.

My first reaction to this post was “What the fuck?”

Then I read it again, and a third time, and still I went “Huh?”

Then I said it aloud…

Oh! Now I get it! Good one.:smiley:

I guess my humour is too hick for your sophisticated tastes.

Now continuing in that vein…

You’re absolutely WRONG! As is the dictionary which lists “social gathering” as a #2 definition of barbecue. The editors of the dictionary have added that definition simply because of popular misuse of the term. If this is allowed to continue “irregardless” will soon be allowed to drop the “nonstandard” label and become proper English.

The social gathering is rightly called a COOK-OUT! Barbeque is the style of cooking Brisket. And then only with a dry-rub and not sauce. Sauce is a condiment and should not be applied to the meat during cooking.

Well, the good folks who put together the Oxford English Dictionary (all twenty-odd volumes of it) will be happy to know that their extensive research is actually incorrect. See, these dunces give the following as one of the correct definitions for “barbecue” (noun):

Sounds like a “social gathering” to me, despite your assertions to the contrary.

Not only that, but the OED, in a typical display of thoroughness, also gives quotations showing that the term has, in fact, been used to describe such a gathering since at least the early 18th century in America. Citations are given from: 1733; 1809; 1815; 1881; 1884; 1935; 1938; 1957; 1968.

The whole entry (omitting quotations for length) says:

Also, the definition offered by the OED for barbecue as a verb says the following:

You may not use the term “barbecue” (noun and verb) in all these senses in Texarkana, but that doesn’t mean that those who do are incorrect.

Notice it’s not until the 4th defintion in OED. That implies that it’s not really correct, but some people (probably not Texans) incorrectly insist on using it that way so they’re giving them an out. It’s similiar to the way that “irregardless” has an entry.

Note to the humour impaired. All my posts in this thread are tounge-in-cheek.

AIR the commercial, the man appears to be standing at a hot dog cart. Least that what I always thought. Dammit, I guess I am just going to have to watch the Food Channel nonstop now until that commercial comes on, being as that’s the only channel I can remember showing that commercial.

P.S. Homebrew I’m going by my favorite bbq place and get somePORK bbq for supper tonight. :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ll probably have some Brunswick Stool, er, I mean Stew with that too.

:: shudder ::