Silver Age Supergirl happened until…when?

Depends on the type of reporter. If he’s the type that goes out to the stories, and not the type who stays in the studio, it could work.

Then what does he tell his camera crew? TV reporters are always going to have a camera crew around, and likely a producer or three.

It was a misguided attempt to modernize the character. If he needed a news source to alert him to emergencies, he could have squeezed a few diamonds and bought his own paper, to better serve his needs.

A couple of things. He was brought up as Clark Kent by the most middle-American small-town salt-of-the-earth obviously Christian white people that 40s and 50s writers could think of, the Kents. (Remember that George Lowther invented almost all of that background for his 1942 kids novel The Adventures of Superman. Two Jewish kids weren’t going there.) They brought him up to be a Boy Scout. He thinks of himself as Clark Kent. He needs to think of himself as Clark Kent to keep from going insane and taking over the world with his powers.

He didn’t start out with a shitty job either. 1930s culture had only a tiny number of real-life heroes. In movies, magazines, novels, and comics, they might be cowboys or they might be newspaper reporters. Reporters were far more identifiable. They worked in glamorous big cities, exposed crime and crooked politicians, and knew their environment as thoroughly as Batman would later on. They also had a million times as many plot opportunities as a cowboy, more even than a rich, idle playboy.

Sure, the television reporter bit was idiotic for all the reasons mentioned here. DC was hysterical by Marvel finally passing it in copies sold and its editors tried frantically to make their characters cool like Marvel characters. None of it worked. But it’s true that in 1970 tv was much cooler than newspapers, and that newspapers have never recovered. Nevertheless, then and now it wasn’t a shitty job unless you compare it to world dictator. And then everything is.

Your career goals worry me.

In a 1960s story (which I read in “Superman in the Sixties” Superman's Super-Courtship! | Superman Wiki | Fandom) Supergirl was trying to find a wife for Superman. Superman notes that Supergirl herself would be perfect for the job, but unfortunately, Krypton had an unbreakable taboo against first cousin marriage (a fact that he mentions a couple of times, if I recall correctly)

Why, because I always wanted to be a rich, idle playboy?

WGBS. Owned by Morgan Edge,who turned out to be a minion of Darkseid.
Why do I remember this?

And they’re using Morgan Edge as a Kryptonian bad guy on Superman & Lois.

But I remember that period where comics tried to be “with it, man”, and modernized everything. When Supes had to abandon a search for a criminal because Clark had to go sit at a news desk every day at 5:00, I gave up comics (I got better…as soon as they did).

They got “with it” with the introduction of “Snapper Carr”. Finally a hip young guy I could relate to :roll_eyes:.

I hated Snapper Carr with a passion. But to be fair he was introduced in 1960, not 1970.

Damn you, now you made me remember that too, along with a whole lot more about Clark turning into a TV reporter. The silver age was my comic age. Until it wasn’t.

That was the beginning of the end of my comic book devotion, then. I’d been able to incorporate Mad Magazine into my comic habit, but once I discovered National Lampoon (first issue purchased: "If you don’t buy this magazine, we’ll shoot this dog) I drifted quickly away from comics.

I remember being pissed about them killing off Supergirl, too. The first time. Even though I just heard about it, rather than read it.

What information has been given, over the life of the Superman franchise, about Kryptonian genetics? For all we know, there might have been a very good reason for that!

I get the impression that your idea of a rich, idle playboy is someone who owns a comfortable sofa to read books on.

You can come live with me in my Brooklyn brownstone, and we will read books on the sofas together. And converse about Symbolist painting, late Romantic art music, horror movies, colossal sculpture and architecture, and comic books.

If you require prostitutes and cocaine, be prepared to share.

And when you are the world dictator, I wanna be Grand Vizier.

And just coincidentally, both Lois Lane and Lana Lang also worked at the station. Then, during one of the many retcons, neither Clark, Lois, or Lana had ever worked there. Jimmy Olson, however, did.

If you’re willing to share your stories about publishing I’ll gladly share all the prostitutes and cocaine I’ll ever be in possession of.

As I recall, Clark was not just a TV reporter but the anchor for the newscast. So he was trapped in the studio, on camera, while newsworthy events were happening. One wonders what excuse he gave to get away if, say, Darkseid attacked.

That issue was mentioned when he first switched jobs as he wondered what would happen. I also seemed to remember that he was able to act as Superman during commercial breaks.

In the beginning, though, he was just a TV reporter, with an automated van to do his reports. So he was on his own and could slip away if needed. I don’t know if they changed that.