Simpsons Jokes You Didn't Get The First TIme

The only thing I can think of is that it’s a reference to The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier (and of course, Star Wars). Still, that reference doesn’t quite scan either.

It wasn’t until two weeks ago that I figured out the piano-playing comedian in “Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington” was based on a real guy, Tom Lehrer. I had never heard of or heard him before, and thought it was an original creation even though it had all the hallmarks of a reference.

I love where Homer is introduced to the Chief in that episode, and is told that the big Indian doesn’t talk. Homer says hello, and the Chief says “hi” back.

I rolled from that. I love the insinuation that the Chief didn’t speak because no one ever talked to him.

It was based on a real guy alright, but that guy is Mark Russell.

Actually, it was a parody of Mark Russell, a piano-playing political comedian who often appears on PBS.

The piano-playing comedian was based off of Mark Russell, a very pale imitation of Tom Lehrer.

If only I hadn’t wasted the time looking for a link… I could’ve been first, dammit!

It referes to a “chocolate starfish” , otherwise known as an anus

I have often thought that “FUGU ME!” would make a great t-shirt.

One I didn’t pick up on, in the episode where Mr. Burns is trying to outdo a new millionaire who arrives in Springfield.

Mr. Burns bemoans the fact that this rival millionaire donated two male pandas to Springfield zoo and go them to mate. I didn’t pick up the first time that when Mr Burns called them “Bamboo gobblers,” he wasn’t referring to their diet… :wink:

When the family goes to Japan, i never got the reference to Rashomon, as i hadn’t seen the movie when i saw that episode.

“I’m gonna go toss the virtual salad!” I almost peed myself when I heard that.

George

I saw that one last night, too, and never noticed it the first few times I saw it! There were a few naughty references in that ep. “Morningwood Penitentary” (which I had to point out to my husband, of all people :rolleyes: ). I know there was at least one more because I kept thinking the writers were awfully horny while working on that episode.

Oh, and I didn’t get Flaming Moe until this thread!

Me neither, and I’ve seen all the older shows dozens of times, PLUS I’m a dirty old bastard!

George

I fail to see why the mere mention of the word “clam” means that they’re making a joke on another level. Just sounds like something they said to reference the painting. There is no further context to suggest it’s a double-entendre. . .now if there was an episode where Patty stated she liked eating clams, that might be a joke one might miss.

What’s to get or not get about calling the drink a “Flaming Moe”. Sure, one has heard “moe” as short for “homo” and flaming is also used to describe some gay people, but was there actually a joke that depended on calling the drink a “Flaming Moe”? Again, for illustrative purposes, a joke that might have gone over one’s head would be if an obviously gay guy entered the (non-gay) bar and said, “this isn’t what I was expecting”.

What’s the joke that someone missed?

Strictly speaking it’s a pun, not a joke. A lot of us didn’t realize that Flaming Homer/Flaming Moe had that other meaning - it sounded like a normal name when you consider that the drink was given its flavor by lighting it on fire.

IIRC, the exchange went something like this:

Homer: I call it a Flaming Ho–
Moe: Moe. It’s a Flaming Moe.

Oh, that makes sense. . .a joke where they might have snuck in the phrase “flaming homo” for a larf.

It makes more sense than just the name “Flaming Moe” working on a level that was never actually mined for a joke.

Er, what am I missing with “sugar walls”? I don’t get it.

I didn’t get it because I never knew until recently that it’s somewhat common to hear someone called “Mo” (short for “Homo”). So I think I was mined for a joke in that sense, regardless of the quoted lines between Homer and Moe. “Flaming Moe” is funny by itself.