Simpsons question - Northern KY??

I caught a rerun of The Simpsons last night, in particular the “Behind the Laughter” documentery episode. I swear that at one point in the episode while the narator is talking he said “…for this northern Kentucky family.”

What is that all about? Did I just hallucinate that part? I’ve seen this episode before and don’t remember that at all.

And what about the whole running gag of keeping the location of Springfield a mystery? I’ve seen various things before that kind of hint at the location, most of them contradictory. This is the first time I can ever remember hearing them name an actual state.

Or did they say the name of a different state in different parts of the country? That would be cool.

OK, enough rambling, my actual question is did they say 'northern Kentucky" on the show last night or did I dream it?

The Simpsons are based in the state of North Tahoma. It is similar, but not adjacent to, Oregon. They have no connection with the state of Kentucky.

Nope. I heard it too, when it was first on. I can’t confirm this myself, but I’ve heard the state changes on replaying. Next time you see it, they may be from Missouri.

mavpace

I thought it was North Takoma. Besides, KT was given as the location of the real Simpsons family, the actors in the show. As far as I know, the home state of the fictional characters of the same name is still indeterminate.

BTW, I loved last night’s episode. Classic Sideshow Bob.

The state must have access to an ocean. The standard accent in The Simpsons is definitely not southern, far midwestern, or New England-ish. So we can eliminate many states right there.

Oregon is a possibility, but I think that there was some episode which located it around Texas. I am pretty sure that, throughout all the shows,it has been impossible for Springfield to be “in” any one state.

This should put the matter to rest for a while (I hope).

Tonight I saw a re-run of the episode where they take a vacation in Florida during spring break partying. By the end of the episode, they’re ordered never to return to Florida under penalty of law and you find out that the only two states they aren’t banned from (according to a very easy-to-read map) are North Dakota and Arizona. Homer says he hates Arizona so it’s crossed off and Bart says he always wanted to go to North Dakota. So Springfield is not in any state. Maybe it’s a district like D.C.

DC nothing, we all know how cheap labor is in Mexico :smiley:

Well, my friend, we’re not dealing with Objectivism here…in the Simpsons, contradictions DO exist ;). One clue to the location of Springfield I remember is the episode where Apu is attempting to gain his US citizenship, and there’s the scene in the kitchen with the map. Now, they once again cleverly cover up the exact location, but Homer is clearly pointing in the general vicinity of the Midwest. Now, I admit that there isn’t much continuity there, but when the hell was the Simpsons ever about continuity???

Or maybe they’re in Canada and only pretend to be Americans…

But I think that everyone contemplating contributing to this thread may want to peruse a recent thread or an earlier thread about this topic before repeating things already posted.

Thank you, dtilque. We should have a frequent questions list, including the likes of “was Mary really a Virgin”, or “were the moon landings faked” or “is time travel possible” or “why does Moses have horns?”
And the second time I saw this episode it was southeastern Missouri.

Agreed. One thing that was posted in one of those other threads is that Kentucky has both a Springfield and a Shelbyville. One thing I DIDN’T see pointed out (and as a former resident of that area of Kentucky, I know people from there) is that there is – just outside of Shelbyville - a tiny little town known as …

drumroll

SIMPSONville!!

Coincidence? I think not. Well, OK. I think probably so, actually. But ain’t that a fun fact? :smiley:

Arrghhh…

Why does it have to exist at all. The writers of the Simpsons have shown that the Simpson’s are definitely Americans, but they do not want to be constrained by any particular place. They apparently do not care much for nerds that post on internet boards who feel as though the writers have some responsibility to correlate Springfield to some actual place.

The show is a hillarious, insightfull, and complex social commentary and comedy.

Why do we have to reduce it to some sirt of concrete reality from its abstract realm?

Seriously, if anyone asks this question again…

Correlate Springfield to some particular place? Because it’s fun!

In my years of… em… “research” on the Simpsons, I find that Springfield has to have- obviously- a nuclear plant, a river large enough to be dammed for a hydroelectric facility, it has to “slope to the west” and have a shoreline to the ocean, with ports and wharves to accomodate both commercial fisheries and trans-oceanic cargo, it has to have a large movie studio and at least three very large mountains. It has an offshore oil platform and both oil reserves and mineable limestone. Oh, and there’s a huge overpass/accessway that for some reason goes over open ocean and is somewhat near a small tropical island. It is obviously a major international air hub but appears to have no high school.

Wherever it is, it’s a great location… why, just today they showed that simply by taking a single exit of the highway, one can access New Jersey, Oregon and Texas. :smiley:

Not true. Aside from the pimply high-schooler who works… well, everywhere… in the Halloween episode where the giant signs come to life, Chief Wiggum shoots the captain of the high school basketball team accidentally and then says, “well he was turning into a monster.”

I just want to live in a place where no one ages for over 10 years and you can eat the most lard-filled food, drink beer every day and still never die (although I suppose the unattractive yellow skin might be a bit of a turn-off).

In the ‘Monorail’ episode, where Lyle had sold monorails to Ogdenville and North Haverbrook, one of these towns was close to Springfield. On the map he showed, the town(North Haverbrook, I believe) seemed to be in North Dakota area, and Marge drove there and back in an afternoon.

Going back to the end of the “Behind the Laughter” episode, I heard the narrator refer to them as a Missouri family. Eventhough I don’t live in Missouri, the station broadcasting the episode is in that state. I wonder if perhaps the producers went through the trouble of referring to the Simpsons as a family from whatever state you happened to be watching it in.

There was one episode where Grampa had hung up an American flag. Marge pointed out that the flag only had 49 stars, and Grampa replied something to the extent of “I’ll be cold in my grave before I recognize Missouri.” In the infamous Jebediah Springfield/silver tongue episode, in the dream sequence, George Washigton tells Lisa, “We had quitters during the Revolutionary War, too…we called them Kentuckians.” So I think both states can be eliminated. I read somewhere that Matt Groening picked Springfield because just about every state has one. But I had to venture a guess, I’d say Illinois, just because of the Missouri reference, and the state rivalries that exist. I live in Indiana, right on the Ohio, and that same kind fo rivalry exists between IN and KY.

I think we have more than enough threads speculating on the location of a fictional place, the creators of which have specifically said that it’s not supposed to be in any one state.

This thread is closed.