Singapore-bound. Besides chewing gum, what need I worry about?

I know you cannot bring chewing gum into the country. What about breath mints? Normal over the counter meds such that a seasoned traveller wouldn’t be caught dead in the air for 24 hours without? ( Immodium, Loratadine, Dramamine, Tylenol, etc. )

If I have real meds in original bottles with the scrip info intact, is that enough or will my meds be confiscated at the airport and will I be taken aside for importing illegal drugs? I’m not talking Oxycontin here, I’m talking Singulair. ( Athsma non-steroid pills ).

Any Singapore experts about?

Cartooniverse

Remember not to vandalize cars with spray paint.

My only experience of Singapore is spending 5 hours in Changi airport waiting for a connecting flight. You can buy all of the above medications, except the Singulair, plus some weird Chinese herbal stuff from the airport pharmacy, so I don’t think any of them are going to be a problem.

I had codeine containing analgesics in my bag (not strong ones, just 8/500 co-codamol and 12/200 co-ibuprofen, which are available OTC in the UK and Australia) and the customs dude didn’t say a word. I suspect you might need original packaging and a copy of your prescription if you have any stronger opiates though.

I can think of no circumstances in which Singulair, in its original packaging is going to present you a problem. If you’re worried, a letter from your doctor (I. Dr…, confirm that Cartooniverse is taking the following medications…) on some nice headed note paper is probably good back-up.

Really? Why the problem with chewing gum?

People would spit it on the ground…

The ticket guy at LAX said he was required to ask me if I was a hippie on orders from Singapore. This was 2005, and I look nothing like a hippie.

So get a haircut!

:rolleyes:

Bring in all of the gum you want, just don’t drop it on the ground. It’s not illegal there.

The guy was screwing around with you. I visited Singapore several times in the 90’s with hair half way down my back while wearing a dangly earring. I didn’t have a single problem.

My goodness…NO!!

It’s like Disney runs Singapore or something.

There seems to be many sites that say that imports of chewing gum is restricted to brands that are viewed as being for “medicinal” use. Why the rolleyes?

Examples:

Singapore is like Asia 101 - easy and clean. Chewing gum is fine as long as you are bringing in cases of it.

Don’t spit or pee on the sidewalk. Be prepared to haggle for price on items and to have tailors run you down in the mall trying to make clothes for you.

Try out the Hard Rock Cafe it’s pretty good, also the Black Pepper and Chili Crab (at Boat Quay or Clark Quay) both are excellent. The night zoo is very cool.

I enjoyed Singapore very much.

See? Chewing gum is fine as long as you bring enough for everyone. Just like in grade school.

I adore the place, have many friends there and have visited often over the years.

Those drugs you’re thinking of taking with you are all widely and easily available (at less than half the cost of here).

When I would go I would always take my eyeglass prescription and get new glasses, the latest, coolest frames and a large cost savings. The same is true for most newer electronic gadgets, the latest, plus things you’ve never heard of yet, at great savings, definitely worth checking out. (High quality dentistry falls into the same category, if you’re thinking of having anything really expensive done.)

If you are smallish, or know girls who are smallish, and find getting small things difficult like clothes or bracelets - Singapore is the THE place to visit. I only wear bracelets I’ve bought there, all others come flying off whenever I gesture or wave my hands about.

Do not miss the Ancients Civilizations Exhibition, it is world class and will inform you about the Straits and their history as well as give you context for the surrounding cultures.

The bird park and the zoo are also worth visiting, it’s a wealthy nation and these things are beautifully built and maintained in a lovely and warm climate. Wear a hat!

Eat, eat and eat. The food in S’pore is better than anywhere else in Asia, I promise. The Indian food is better than in India. In India the chickens tend to be ‘racing’ chickens, as in, all grisle and bone. The best ingredients make for fabulous foods from all the surrounding cultures.

Food not to be missed:
Hokkien Chicken Rice
Won Ton Mee
Anything in little India,
Satay
Bbq Baby squid,
air flown swiss chocolates,
french pasteries,
curried crab…

…I could go on all day long, but now I’m getting hungry.

Man, now I’m all green with envy!

Thanks for the tips all, and especially you, elbows. I fell in love with YOUR little corner of the galaxy last summer and will never forget the blistering hot day I got to spend at the Blues Festival. Cool funky town, London Ontario is.

I figure I’ll be in such a fugue from jet lag that I won’t have any down time. I’ll work, sleep and sleep. And work. Then fly home.

The pony tail STAYS. :smiley:

The meds I will take, hoping I can keep them. Worst case, I’ll buy more there. Glad to hear I can get the basics easily enough. As for painkillers, when I need em I use the 2+2’s I got in Canada last year. ( What is it called? Shoppers World Drug Mart? Drugger’s World Shopping Mart? Something. ). Scored a few bottles here and there in Canada. Still have around 600 tablets left. THAT, they may take but I will just get more over there.

Like my dumb co-worker found out five years ago, don’t bring pot.

He’s scheduled for release later this year.

See, my concern is ANYTHING construed as an illegal drug.

And no, I don’t take or transport anything like that.

Indeed you can’t sell it or import it for sale but you can bring in your own personal chewing gum. Loads of locals drive over to Johor in Southern Malaysia to buy it. You can and always could bring in a few packs of your own gum.

Oh, I don’t doubt that a real hippie could get in without a problem, but I don’t think the ticket guy was joking, as he seemed rather surprised that his computer actually instucted him to ask.

Something like, “wow, this thing is telling me I’m required to ask you if you’re a hippy!”

Maybe he was joking and didn’t have the timing down very well, that’s possible.

Ohferchrissake. Poor Singapore, a delightful place, has had an unfairly bad rap ever since they caned that kid, which whether or not you agree with it was a long time ago. Sure, it isn’t just like America (or, if you aren’t American, insert your native country here). But if it were, the point of visiting would be … ?

elbows has it down pat.

Visit Singapore. Love and admire Singapore. EAT in Singapore. And for heavenssakes, do not fear Singapore!!! It’s harmless, if you are. If the Singaporeans want to threaten you with a fine for failing to flush a public toilet, let 'em, just flush the stupid toilet. Believe me, they aren’t nearly as milataristic or obsessed as they have been made out to be.

Note: While I was never an official Singapore resident, I have visited there probably 100+ times, and I lived there as an “evacuee” from Jakarta in the wake of September 11, 2001 for 6 weeks or so. Do I agree with all of their policies? Hell, no. But I don’t agree with many policies of any country. Singapore is no worse than, and in many ways much better than, a lot of countries. (It helps that they are so small, but that’s a topic for another day.)

About that hippie thing.

Singapore actually had a reputation stretching back to the sixties as being especially hostile and suspicious of ‘hippies’. Oldster travelers often claim there was a time when to travel through Singapore without the appearance of a young Mormon meant having the initials S.H.I.T stamped into your passport. This supposedly stood for, Suspected Hippie In Transit.

And if your hair was unruly you would promptly be given the choice of a haircut or being refused entry. The SHIT part is just travelers lore, though there may have been a time. But the haircut is was indeed a common practice.

I met an Australian who, as an obnoxious teenager, had come out with his family. He was keenly looking forward to traveling across Asia. His hair had been a point of much conflict within the family especially for his Dad, much bitterness. When they made their first stop, in S’pore, he was told he’d have a haircut or be turned away. His parents were willing to send him home to his Grandparent’s for the duration of the holiday, so it was his choice. He chose the hair cut and said he almost wept to see his long, beautiful, golden locks sheared off. But he took glee in feigning indifference before his gleeful father who felt the victor.

And I remember as recently as 10 yrs ago being in a government office with a sign clearly stating if your hair reached your collar, be seated, you will be served last.

But times change. S’pore is a much more cosmopolitan city these days. Such things as long hair and goth teenagers don’t even seem to raise eyebrows now. Of course, you will be forgiven most any error as you are a foreigner, so don’t sweat it.

Don’t be so sure you don’t have time for any amusements. S’pore is a city state. Nothing is really too far away for an afternoon visit.

Don’t be afraid to eat from the street hawkers, they have the best food. The singularly best thing you can take with you to Asia (and possibly anywhere you visit), in my experience is a good appetite.

Oh, and S’porean’s are somewhat shy, don’t mistake it for coldness, it’s not.

Are you flying Singapore Air by any chance? If you are, lucky you!

I am certain you will be impressed and surprised by the city and I’m confident you’ll have a good time.