Size of billiard balls and queue balls with coin-op tables.

Many places in the US have a pool table where one puts in several quarters and gets the 15 colored balls and a queue ball.

Upon pocketing a colored ball it is gone until one pay again.

Upon a ‘scratch’ the queue ball is returned for further play.

How is this effected?

Hi janeslogin.

Cecil answered this here: How does a coin-op pool table know to return the cue ball when you scratch? - The Straight Dope

I’ve been told by the people who maintain those machines that the cue ball is slightly smaller than the rest of the balls which allows it to move past a gate.

Not to try to hijack, but I think it’s a “cue ball”, not a “queue ball”. I print a handbook for a pool league every year and there’s been a lot of discussion on how to spell it, but I’ve never found a definitive answer.

The cue ball (not queue ball) is slightly smaller than the other balls and falls through a hole that the others can’t fit in.

Moving to The Game Room from GQ.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

Thanks.

Una (and by extension Khadaji) for the win, magnetic and oversized cue* balls.

CMC fnord!
*The ball is struck with the cue, which I’ve never seen spelled any other way, making it the cue ball. The only queue I’ve ever seen is the waiting list for a good table!

My apologies to Una for giving improper credit - and my thanks to you for gently pointing it out.

Spam reported. Post #9.