Skyrim: Tactics for warrior vs caster

Byu the way, something that has intriguerd me since I began to play Skyrim. Sometimes, you hear a brief sound+music that sounds like something marking a success of some kind except that it doesn’t happen when you reach a level, finish a dungeon or anything similar. It only happens, though, when you’re actively involved in a quest (never when you travel, visit a town, sell stuff, etc…)
Does anybody even understand what I’m refering to? And if you do, what’s the meaning of this short music?

I just did the Azura’s Star quest today and I can understand why you might be running into problems. Inside Azura’s Star you’re not fighting mages, you’re fighting dremora and they’re tough bastards.

I beat them with the bound bow but I think I was a bit lucky in that they didn’t rush me and mob me. If they do rush or mob you, you’re done for since they basically have rocket launchers. The bound bow staggers them and makes them think twice about getting closer. Make sure to loot their hearts after ripping them out of their chests.

clairobscur, I think that noise means you’ve completed a sub-objective of a quest.

One way to deal with them is to use fire resistance boosting equipment & potions; while their damage is nasty it’s mostly fire.

I’ve played a few warriors, two handers or shield bearers mostly, and yeah, mages can be particular trouble. Worst case typically is vs. multiple mages or mage + minions in an open area. I find ice casters to be bad due to the slow effect making it hard to close. Wispmothers have got me several times.

My usual way is to get a stealth bow shot in first, then run and hide in hopes that the mage will either lose track so I can get in another stealth shot or waste mana on low percentage shots, hopefully missing a lot. The knockback shout is a staple. I don’t bother much with resistance enchantments and usually go for buffs to blocking, archery, and damage.

Potions do help, as previously mentioned. If you’re a good alchemist, it can be effective to use slow + lingering damage health and other poisons. Tough opponents (for example the bad Nightingale or the Forsworn mage in that gold mine) can die quickly (to the point of anti-climax) with enough poison. Don’t forget resist and invisibility, either. Even if you’re not a good alchemist you can buy decent pots.

Yeah, the one that kills you should penetrate, the others should shatter.

Dragons, bears, and sabre cats are no problem. Icicle-weilding casters and pumped-up bandits kick my ass. I hate that enemies level with you.

The Azura’s Star one can be very tricky depending on your level and what gear you have available. I applied poison to my battleaxe, did a time stop shout, and whacked away like mad, pausing to pop health potions. Even then, it still took me a half-dozen attempts.