Slaves for sale

“Slaves for sale. Slaves for sale. $14.00”

Truely unbelievable.

In todays world something like this happening is astounding to me.

I heard on GMA that this is not an isolated incident.It happens all the time. Black African
parents sell their kids.

Does anyone know of any other culture that allows this to happen?

Apparently they have found the ship and 24 kids were recovered.

They were concerned
with the captain being a lawbreaker but what of the parents? Poor or not you have to be

mighty primitive to sell your kid.

Yes, Virginia, there are still slaves. West Africa’s poverty and Sudan’s civil war result in lots and lots of slaves being exported throughout the world.

Like everything else bad in the world, naturally the State Dept. blames good ol’ Osama Bin Laden for the slave trade in Sudan.

“Black African” – like every other continent, Africa is a big place. Certain impoverished regions have been marked by a reemergence of something approaching slavery – although it depends on what one means by that. As I understand the situation we’re not really talking about true slavery in a formal sense but rather something along the lines of forced labor.

Overgeneralizations are rarely helpful for understanding.

Leaving aside your mistaken impression there is but one culture in Africa, even black Africa, yes. China and South East Asia both experience problems with what amounts to child slavery. Forced labor by children might be a better description than slavery per se. SE Asia one sees for example young girls being sold/traded/dealt into sexual slavery to brothels. Same reasons. Desperate parents, smooth-tongued dealers, denial, etc.

Primitive? No desperate and willing to believe lies. I very much doubt many of the parents who “sell” their kids, be they Africans or Asians, do so openly as such. From what I have read it is usually a question of being sold some story of taking the kid to a better life etc. Should they know better? Perhaps, but when one lives in utter poverty…

C’bury:
It’s not right, by any name. I don’t believe you believe it is, either, but I hope no one takes poverty or what have you as a rationialization of or justification for slavery.

But you raise an interesting point: It may well be that if world population continues to expand at a high rate, the (over-)supply of labor will cause the price to drop to slave levels.

I didn’t say it was right, I was simply describing the situation, as well as being careful as I think true slavery takes the horror of forced labor or exploitation a step further.

The poster to whom I was replying was talking about “primitive” Africans, I was replying in correction of such wrong-headed views.

Moving beyond rhetorical usage of slavery (which I frankly do not care for insofar as I believe actual ownership of people in the formal sense of slavery is something inherently different from and in the long run even more repulsive than economic exploitation) I don’t think so.

But a lot depends on how economies develop.

Collounsbury

You speak of me as if I write for GMA.

Hell I don’t do a very good job of writing for myself.

The comments IIRC were" sold into slavery."

“Slave ship.”

and" for as little as $14.00"

You are disagreeing with someone at ABC News’ wording not mine.

Sorry I don’t have a tape of the show or I’d play it for you.

No offense intended, C’bury. Your comments do stimulate interesting thoughts.

Economic exploitation vs. slavery per se. Where does one end and the other begin? While I don’t think there are still any places where the buying and selling of people for involuntary servitude is still legal on the books, it would seem from this W. Africa case and a number of others that there are many places where governments choose not to enforce what laws there may be. A step away from that is where enforcement of such laws is not a priority; I reckon this is why someone on another thread suggested the US still permits slavery (or at least gross economic exploitation) in a sort of de facto way (the Saipan sweatshops).

Incidents like this W. African thing and others (like the sumggling into England of a container full of Chinese, many of whom died in the process) show how much of a “growth industry” the modern slave trade/gross exploitation of laborers is.

The smuggling of illegals into Greece from the mideast, often via the Greek islands, is extremely common. Sometimes they even risk the land route via the Turkish-Greek border, which is mined. It’s not too unusual to hear about them being blown up in the attempt, but they still keep coming --or being sent.

Re: The OP: I doubt anything will happen to the parents of the kids in the W. African incident. The smugglers are in the most visible position, both legally and in terms of embarassing whatever governments are concerned. They will thus lower the boom on the smugglers, and hope it fades away quickly. Personally, I’d like to see the story followed up on so as to know if the authorities make any efforts to repatriate the kids, or if they just dump them on the docks and leave the families to figure out solutions for themselves. I have this suspicion that at least a few of the victims will end up being economically exploited/enslaved one way or another.

It should be noted that in societies where children work to help support the family, the line between “adoption” and child slavery can be pretty blurry. And remember that it wasn’t that long ago that parents in Europe and the US would arrange for their children to be apprenticed to learn a trade, which in practice amounted to 10-12 years labor in exchange for room, board and training. (That said, I do not condone the obvious exploitation of children, or anyone else.)

This does not appear to be a General Question. I’m not sure where to move it however, so I’m closing it. - Jill