sleeping dogs

So I’m sitting here SDMBing, and my dog is companionably assisting me (i.e. - snoring her head off) - with her eyes wide open!

How can dogs sleep with their eyes open?

Many different species can sleep with their eyes open - and also retaint heir vision. This they have acquired as part of the natural selection process as a defense mechanism. You may have noticed that if you stand to leave (and your dog really loves you that it will immediately awaken. Amazing aren’t they. Another notable eye opener is fish, who don’t have eyelids, but still sleep.

If you can’t dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

If you need a graphic solution, http:\ alk.to\Piglet

WARNING: let sleeping dogs lie.

I think they should be required to tell the truth.

Ray

I’ve heard it said that our Cecil sleeps with one eye open! :o

I know a person who sleeps with an eye open.

Unforgiven

My roommate sleeps with his eyes open. It’s really creepy, actually.

Some peoples eyes won’t close completely when at rest. my brother was like that. He could could close them when awake, but they would be about half way closed when he slept. The doctor said it was ok, and not all that rare.
He did blink in his sleep.
Peace,
mangeorge

Work like you don’t need the money…
Love like you’ve never been hurt…
Dance like nobody’s watching! …(Paraphrased)

I keep looking at this topic title because it reminds me of a woman I know who says, “Let dead dogs lay” and in a nice slow thick SC accent. It always makes me smile. Still worse she’s older than I am and I’ve not yet worked up the nerve to ask her what it means.

Or should I have put this in the “Why bury the dead” strand?

“Let dead dogs lie” means don’t get involved in a topic or situation that is over and done with. Sort of the same thing as “Don’t beat a dead horse”.