Slimy carrots? Gross?

Why do carrots become slimy? I’ve had far too many bags of carrots end up so slick that I can barely handle them, even though they aren’t supposed to expire for days. Are they safe to eat?

Kind of an ambiguous answer here, but personally, I wouldn’t.

http://www.ebfarm.com/Recipes/FoodFacts/Carrots.aspx

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/datastore/detailreport.cfm?usernumber=10&surveynumber=267

Slimy Carrots: band name. :smiley:

I’ve found that leaving mini-carrots in their bag, unopened, drastically shortens the length of time that it takes for carrots to turn slimy. I’ve also seen that in bags where the carrots are starting to turn slimy, there is almost always a carrot that is already rotting.

Open up the bag, let the carrots dry off a little, and they will last much longer, both in the refrigerator and out.

Almost any time that food gets slippery, you can bet that a little universe of bacteria has set up housekeeping. Certain fungi can also do that, but usually it takes a bit longer. Also, don’t eat food that makes noise or moves by itself. xo, C.

Can anyone tell me how exactly one is supposed to accomplish this? Carrots are a fall harvest. If you harvest your carrots before the temperatures hits 80, you’re just digging up carrot seeds. And this is in Montana! I would imagine that in warmer parts of the country, summer temperatures would hit even sooner. Unless you’re supposed to grow carrots only in Florida, plant them in October, and harvest in March, I can’t imagine what one is supposed to do.

You plant them in February, that’s what you’re supposed to do. Carrots are a fall crop in Montana, but the website’s from Arkansas. They got different rules than Montana. :wink:

From higher up on the page:

Looking here they give “Feb-April” as best planting times for carrots, plus 75 days to maturity, so if you plant 'em March 1, that gives you basically March-April and half of May to get 'em out of the ground before the soil heats up to 80. And according to this Arkansas gardening website, you can flat-out plant them in February, so if you plant them February 15, that gives you till May 1 to get 'em out of the ground. No sweat.