Slipper limpets as food

I looked up slipper limpets in order to refresh my memory of their breeding habits for the gender ratio thread. These animals are not native to the shores where I live (southern England), but they are abundant following their introduction some decades ago.

Anyway… is there any particular reason I shouldn’t eat them? - given that local environmental conditions are considered safe to permit the human consumption of oysters sourced in the same area.

Cooking Slipper Limpets

Thanks for that - well, I’ve eaten ordinary limpets (like seafood-flavoured erasers), so ‘more tender’ sounds like a good thing.

I’m going to have to try this. They’re filter feeders, so I think purging them a overnight in a bucket of seawater won’t hurt.

You’re true to your name, Mangetout! I wouldn’t touch the things with a ten-foot pole. Filter-feeder indeed!

In Hawaii, our varieties of limpets are collectively called opihi. :o
They are generally eaten raw and sell for $200+ a pound. :eek:
Currently, we import a different variety from Ireland. :stuck_out_tongue:

NBD. So are oysters, scallops, clams.

If you think about it, all Abalone is, is a big limpet.

It might be an idea to sprinkle oatmeal or flour on the water you soak them in, as one does with mussels - filter feeders like something to filter.

They look very interesting - I would use white wine in the court bouillon - something like a Sancerre.

that phrase could have gone soooooooo badly :stuck_out_tongue:

I know. I don’t normally call them erasers.