Sloppy Joes

Chicken spaghetti? One of my favorites! My husband hates it though, so I don’t make it very often. I made it with leftover turkey in early December. DEE-lish!

Wow. I’d never heard of it. I was chatting with my MIL about ham barbecues and sloppy joes. She mentioned that my gf’s favorite meal growing up was chicken spaghetti and I asked for the recipe. :heart:

BUT - I put lots more veggies in it - like celery and mushrooms. And I make homemade mushroom soup with almond milk for it. (I double the recipe and freeze half.)

My mom would make a giant batch of spaghetti and meatballs for one meal and then with the leftovers she would cook chicken thighs in the sauce. Sometimes she’d put the thighs in the sauce right from the start. The meat would just fall off the bones. It was really good. I haven’t had that in probably 40 years! I just don’t think of it when I make spaghetti.

When my sister and I were kids (elementary age) we HATED sloppy joes. I remember one night we had them for supper and we wouldn’t eat them. My dad got mad and said we couldn’t leave the table until we ate. So there we sat all alone, kind of crying, pouting, putting up a fuss. Then my sister took a bite and immediately threw up. Then I threw up because I saw her throw up! That was the one and only time my dad TRIED to force us to eat anything. I think it was a texture thing when we were kids. We both love sloppy joes now. Every time we have sloppy joes at a get-together we reminisce about that fateful night.

Last night my 6yo wanted to add ketchup to the sloppy joe. I did go pretty light on the ketchup in the sauce, so I allowed it. Then she wanted to add vegetables from the salad “to make it more like a hamburger”. Yes, of course. I can’t object to adding vegetables to your sweet beef sandwich.

She did ask for seconds, but eventually concluded, “I like hamburgers better. Can we have hamburgers tomorrow?”

This version came out pretty well when I tried it recently :slight_smile: .

Mmm! I am so making this. That dude’s sing-songy voice about drove me up a wall, though! I turned off the sound and just read closed caption. :wink:

It’s fairly polarizing :laughing:. Folks either find it soothing in a Bob Ross sort of way or aggravating as hell. It’s not his normal speaking cadence - he claims it mostly isn’t deliberate but rather an artifact of how he has learned to edit his videos with numerous takes spliced together. His very early lo-fi videos have a lot less of it.

I like him, though. His humor is mildly amusing, but mostly its that his videos are concise while simultaneously being pretty thorough and methodical. And his various adapted recipes are mostly solid and easyish to execute.

I’d never monkey around with a whole chicken. Picking it apart is way too much work for me. I would just use some skinless thighs. The meat falls off on its own. But it sure looks good!

In today’s news feed was a recipe for Sloppy Joe casserole topped with Tater Tots:

Basically a shepherd’s pie.

Sans the corn or celery.

Shepherd’s pie is made with ground lamb. If it’s made with beef, it’s a cottage pie.

Depends on where (and when) you are, really. Here in the US, the distinction isn’t really made that strictly and hasn’t been for at least a hundred plus years, at least in the cookbooks that I’ve consulted (and some have a different distinction between shepherd’s and cottage pie, with the former being topped with mashed potatoes, and the latter being topped with layered slices of potatoes, imitating the titled roof of a cottage.) Originally, the term “shepherd’s pie” referred to the pie regardless of what type of meat was used.

But, more important, corn? OK, I’ll put corn occasionally in a shepherd’s/cottage pie, whatever you want to call it, but I was pretty sure that’s a decidedly controversial addition. I don’t think celery is standard, either (that one I skip – not because I don’t like celery, but because I just wasn’t taught to cook it with celery.)

Taco Johns makes a “Taco Burger” which is their regular taco ingredients but on a bun which is steamed for some reason. I crave one now and then.

The bun is steamed so the taco meat nestles into it and just doesn’t fall out when you try to take a bite. Del Taco did the same thing with their dear departed “Bun Taco.”

Jimboy’s Tacos, a local chain here in CA, offers burger patties with the usual fixings, but in taco shells instead of buns. This is (now) billed as a gluten-free offering.

To further confuse things, they dust the taco shells in parmesan cheese.

Yes Eonwe, and furthermore it’s amazing. Folks, you gotta check out this culinary masterpiece from Essex County New Jersey.

• 3 slices of thin rye bread
  • Sliced turkey, sometimes ham, sometimes both. Remember you have 2 layers to work with.
  • Cole slaw. This is the key ingredient, combining with the meat with both texture and flavor
  • Swiss Cheese
  • Russian Dressing, not too much I think

I see from google that the Millburn Deli now ships these out nationwide, but I wouldn’t recommend that as freshness is key (the bread can get saturated after a while). Instead, try making your own. Won’t be as good, but still worth the effort I say.

Best sandwich in New Jersey: Millburn Deli Has 'Best Sandwich In NJ,' Report Says | Millburn, NJ Patch Available as an individual sandwich or catering style.

My experience is that, if I don’t I don’t remove the juice, the hamburger meat never quite gets that slightly harder shell that I love–kinda like a steak sear. The juice seems to contain too much water or something that keeps it too moist. If I drain it, within a very short amount of time, I have that slight sear.

Granted, the sear is more important in some applications than others. It wouldn’t be as important in Sloppy Joes due to the sauce, and is harder to do when the hamburger meat stays in crumbles, as it’s so easy to overcook and make it into dry crumbles.

Yeah that juice is mostly water, small portion of it is fat. I’d want to keep that fat.

Once it’s start searing, if you don’t take care of it quickly it will over cook. Once I hear it start, I stir for about a minute non-stop and it’s done.