Sloppy Joes

I’ve only been to the one in Greenville as a child. At least my parents said they took me, and they have fond memories of going there when they were growing up. I believe this is not the same Maid-Rite as the chain, as the signage is different. I’d have to ask my parents for details.

After Wick’s pies opened up their cafe, we always ate there, before buying a dozen pies to take back to my grandmother’s freezer.

My dad says he now uses Manwich. It’s cheap and quick, perfect for a quick lunch when it’s only him eating, or my mom is there and eating something else.

I am thrilled people are enjoying this thread. Really, the inspiration came from our very own @Manwich, he deserves all the props. :slight_smile:

Because of this thread I’ve been thinking about making them all week ! Anyone have suggestion for sides besides fries, I’m all eyes.

Tater tots!

By “Russian dressing,” do you mean something like 1000 Islands, or the red kind with poppy seeds in it?

Another vote for tater tots, then you want something fresh and crisp, like celery sticks and carrot sticks, grapes, pickle spears. A little cafeteria tray aesthetic.

I made some sloppy Joes this week. I think we had quick pickles and sliced fruit on the side.

Tater tots and kosher deli pickles it is. Never had them before, going to try this recipe.

Please report back on the tots! I embrace the lure of the freezer section when I make them.

I can’t find it now, but I saw an article someplace the other day that suggested adding a small amount of baking soda to ground beef you’re trying to brown. Apparently it improves things in a way I can’t quite remember.

Hear! Hear!

When I made mine last week, I also did tater tots. I almost did them in the oven when I realized I still had the electric skillet out from the night before. Laziness wins again!

Baking soda or baking powder? I completely destroyed a batch of crab cakes by using the former instead of the latter. Tasted like crab flavored alka-seltzer. Tragic, as I’d caught the crabs myself, picked 'em, and was planning on fine dining later that evening

Baking soda, apparently. This Lifehacker article (which I’m slightly embarrassed to be quoting) explains, “Why does this work? The baking soda (which is very basic) raises the pH of the meat, preventing the proteins from bonding excessively (and thus squeezing water out); this keeps everything nice and tender, and prevents that pool of liquid from forming.” The writer uses a third of a teaspoon over a pound of meat, so really, a tiny amount.

I use baking soda to “velvet” sliced meats for a stir fry. It gives the meat that chinese food softness and texture. It’s a great way to get rid of the dry grainy texture chicken breast (and beef) can get. I do it in a colander for a half hour and rinse with water and then vinegar to make sure I remove all the baking soda.

thanks! maybe I’ll dare to use the stuff again now

The Russian dressing in the recipe contains mayonnaise and catsup, so it’s the 1000 islands version. Wiki definition matches: Russian dressing - Wikipedia

I can’t tell what else is in the NJ version, because it mixes with the Cole Slaw. More detail here: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/russian-dressing-recipe.132000/

That’s what I figured, thanks!

Sounds a lot like a Reuben to me (except for the ham, turkey, and cole slaw). :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

NOW you tell me! :pleading_face:

I do that as well, mostly for beef. When I make stir fry I get thin cut “sandwich steak” or top or bottom round (I’m guessing sandwich steak most likely is one of these, judging by its appearance and price) and I do the baking soda thing as you describe, with the wash, but minus the vinegar step (is that still considered velveting? I always took velveting to be the cornstarch thing you do AND the step where you give it a brief dip through hot oil or boiling water prior to stir frying.)

It works a treat, and I prefer it to papain- and bromelain-based tenderizers, which tend to alter the texture too much.

That’s why I put it in quotes. I think cornstarch is more traditional and baking soda is more american chinese restaurant.
Until I started doing the baking soda trick I didn’t like my homemade stir fry because the meat was dry and grainy like boiled meat. Now I love it.

ETA: I rinse the vinegar off. I just use it to activate any residual baking soda.

FWIW, I don’t like Reubens because I’m not fond of sauerkraut. I also generally avoid mayonnaise in my sandwiches. For that matter, I’m not too fond of Cole Slaw. But for some reason I find the combination of flavors and textures in the New Jersey Sloppy Joe to be a win. Go figure.

More articles. They call it a NJ Sloppy Joe, but as I noted earlier it really hails from a single county in NJ: https://www.tastecooking.com/new-jersey-sloppy-joe-not-sloppy-joe-know/

Check out the menu. They list 12 different meats you can have in your Joe: choose one or two. Menus | Millburn Deli in New Jersey
Millburn Deli now has 2 locations: I think they should consult with a branding company and expand their chain.

(Sorry for the partial hijack, btw: I like the regular sloppy joe as well.)