Small TV Coincidences

I don’t often do this but…

…nice post / username combo!

Yesterday I was flipping channels between The Godfather and Modern Family. The last half hour of TG coincided with the MF episode ("Fulgencio) which includes a parody of the famous TG baptism / mob executions scene. I couldn’t decide which one to watch!

Not long ago, I was doing a crossword puzzle while half-watching a local restaurant review show. They were talking about a Japanese place that specializes in udon noodles - “udon” being a word I was previously unfamiliar with.

I then looked down at the next clue in my puzzle: “Japanese noodle.” Four letters.

Look up the episodes and see if they were written by the same guy. I’ve seen the same kind of thing on “Run For Your Life” and “Alias Smith and Jones” (Not the old sauna trick, but duplicated plot points.)

Seems unlikely that the same person wrote episodes of Matlock and Death in Paradise.

For those interested, a local station showed repeats of the two shows I mentioned earlier. Including a back to back showing of the AS&J episode “Night of the Red Dog” and the RFYL episode “The Cold, Cold War of Paul Bryan”. Both episodes involved people snowed in, in once case at a prospecting camp, the other at a ski lodge. In both instances a card game was used, ostensibly to pass the time, but mainly as a way for one person to establish dominance over the others. Both episodes were written by Roy Huggins.

Both cases sound like a Roald Dahl short story. Maybe Roy was inspired by Roald.

So many stories have been recycled over the years, especially when written by a single author (or group of authors). The one I remember most is when Gomer Pyle became Andy Griffith’s devoted servant after Andy saved him from an accident. To set things right, Andy contrived for Gomer to “save” him from a gas leak.

Exactly the same story was later used in an episode of Gomer Pyle, USMC, but with Sgt Carter instead of Andy.

Yesterday, I mentioned Louie, Dewey, and Huey (Donald Duck’s nephews) in another thread. Not something I do very often.

Tonight, they were the correct FJ response on Jeopardy!

Fuck!

I haven’t watched tonight’s episode of Jeopardy! yet! Spoilers, dude!

Sorry about that. Won’t happen again. :pensive:

I used to live on xxxxxxx Lane (actual name omitted because I don’t want to give personal information) where xxxxxxx could be a last name or a first name.
Last night I was watching a TV show and a character on the show was named xxxxxxx Lane.
When they mentioned the name of the character I heard the street name.

I’ve seen that very plot used many times in sitcoms over the years.

I had one just last night-- wife and I were watching a show, and I got up and went to the kitchen. Wife asked me to grab her a can of seltzer water while I was up. When I came back I handed it to her and said “here you go” at the EXACT same time a character on the show said “here you go”, so it was in stereo. Really weird to experience it at the time.

Other than the Gomer example, how many of these had one of the characters in his own spinoff? A legitimate question; I can’t think of any.

I know that Andy Griffith and Don Knotts recycled some of their old bits together once Don joined the cast of Matlock.

Incidentally (as noted elsewhere), today’s episode of Hawaii Five-O is another in which the “expert” advising McGarrett is actually a bad guy.