Smartphones - can you PLEASE stop getting bigger!?

You can go to Amazon and search by cell phone screen sizes:
Up to 3.9 in
4 to 4.4 in
4.5 to 4.9 in
5 to 5.4 in
5.5 in & above

I have the S10e, and it fits very comfortably in my pockets.

Very nice bag. I have an old PacSafe sling bag that they don’t make any longer [or at least I couldn’t find it on the site for sale any longer …] and I love it because it is slash resistant, the strap is slash resistant [with enough concerted effort anything can probably be cut …] and is quite comfortable and stays nicely flat against my body and as you point out, plenty of pockets for just about anything. I also have a buttpack I had been using for medical appointments to carry my infusion pump and some other assorted medical supplies [I wanted something that if it got bio-contaminated I wouldn’t mind losing to decontamination efforts]

When I travel by plane, I have a large daypack I picked up at the Navy Exchange [in the now going defunct ‘blueberry’ Navy camo pattern] and an OD green bag mrAru picked up somewhere. I wear the buttpack and carry the green bag in the day pack. My actual travel ‘luggage’ is in the green bag, and I fold my crutches and sort of tuck them into the day pack and it slides under the air plane seat in front of me [the crutches then do not get taken away and ‘stored safely out of the way’ somewhere if the plane goes down I won’t be able to get them to escape safely] I also [since I travel Delta primarily] have a 40 liter flight compartment qualified back packthat I pack with my luggage, and it fits under the assisted wheelchair from desk to gate and down to the plane and back again at the end of the flight. I am able to wear the day pack slung on my front, the big pack on my back and stump from a door to the cab, or to the car rental desk and so forth.

I finally got my replacement wheelchair [my original got melted in the house fire] and we have seriously been discussing getting a fitted Anvil case for it for when we fly … I had a rented wheelchair get a wheel hub damaged by the airline one trip to Germany … we werre not happy about that! We figure it would protect the chair during shipping, and when we got it at the baggage claim, we pull the chair out and stuff our luggage in and tow it all along in one bundle =)

You type by using the thumb of the hand holding the phone? I’ve never done that, with any size screen. And when I do attempt to do things with the thumb of the hand holding the phone, the foldy part of my thumb that merges into the palm (whatever the hell that is called) touches the screen and tells the phone to do stuff that I don’t want it to do.
My current phone has a 2.7 inch wide screen. Ideally, I’d like that bumped up to 3 inches. (That would be 6.1 inches on a 9:16 screen or 6.7 inches on a 9:18 screen–I’d prefer a 9:16, but that choice is almost dead.)

The iPhone has a one-handed keyboard mode. I imagine your S8 has a similar function.

The real reason smartphones are getting bigger.

nm

As far as I can tell, that’s the same size as my current S8. I’m thinking about it, although I really like the beveled edges on my S8, and I’m surprised the S10e doesn’t have them.

Yes, unless I just decide to use two hands. The beveled edge is helpful in limiting how much the rest of my hand hits the side, though I can’t say it never happens. Using swipe, I can type without having to left my thumb hardly at all, so I’m able to keep the phone in place. If I tried to text normally using one hand, the phone would constantly be moving (unless you have a better method?).

When I got my first smartphone around 2003-2004 (pre-iphone era) everyone was like “Wow. Why do you need such a huge phone?” and the fact that I was using a phone to make business transactions and browse the internet was considered a dorky thing.

Now, with my small iPhone - “Wow, how OLD is your phone (I bought it new 1 year ago, I wanted to keep the same size as the previous phones)?” and “WOW, your phone is so small!.”

As a big guy with big hands and large pockets, I think phones are about perfect now. (the regular versions, not the plus) I had the iphone 7+ and liked it a lot, but if I had to pick a tiny bit bigger or smaller, I think I’d go smaller than that. So the iphone XR is the “just right” size for me. The iphone 11 is a tiny bit smaller I think, but close enough not to matter. So IMO about a 6" screen and minimal bezel is perfect.

I like big phones, I cannot lie.

Ideally, though, I’d like to have a tablet with a detachable keyboard and and detachable tiny cell phone. Something modular would be great.

Women’s clothes have horrible or no pockets, and I’m clumsy, so I use this. It’s a well-made pouch.

I dunno - My Droid4 hasn’t noticeably grown any over the past 6 years that I’ve owned it! :wink:

Very slightly wider, less slightly taller.

Lots of people despise the curved screens. There are other S10 models that do have them.

Looks like the standard S10 (with the curved screen) would work for you just as well.