So I had a professional massage yesterday...

I’m sighing just looking at the picture. Now where did I leave that spare $4299?

There’s nothing better than a professional massage. I’ve had a few dozen and I just can’t imagine anything more relaxing. The therapist has to be physically strong, however. It doesn’t work very well if the massage therapist can’t deliver sufficient pressure. I’ve had some great massages from guys, but some of the best have been from female therapists who were a tall 140+ lbs.

Anyway, I’ve never had any pain afterward. Frankly, I’d be amazed if a therapist could apply enough pressure to cause pain. I’ve heard this complaint from several women, however.

A big box store in my town has one on display and plugged in. Having no shame, I plop muself down in it, program it for just what I want, and then close my eyes for half an hour and moan and drool while shoppers pass by and look down at me.

I’ve had three or four. One was Hot Rocks massage, where the masseuse heats smooth pebbles and small rocks and then places them along the back, thighs and in between all of your toes.

To die for. Completely professional. Yeah, the firs time I was frankly afraid of becoming aroused but there was nothing sexual about it. I talked, she talked, I fell silent, she fell silent. Clearly this is a pattern- the emotional comfort level is important.

I can’t wait to have another one ! I have a broken back and was quite nervous about having one after the injury. She asked where the damage was, and worked around it.

I’ve never felt residual pain after a massage.

Cartooniverse

It would depend on the purpose of the massage. I have never incurred pain from a general relaxation massage (with one exception), but when it comes to sports massages that “strip” knotted muscles/scar tissue, I find it usually hurts when being performed, and I am usually sore for a few days after: http://www.huntingtonmassageworks.com/how_massage_works.html

(The one exception is general relaxation massages from my friend Karen, an ex-bodybuilder, who is a master as using leverage, and puts her whole body into it – legs and feet being a lot more powerful than arms and hands. Sometimes the massage is so powerful, intense and out and out painful, that I end up sobbing, but by the end of it, I am so relaxed that afterwards I just lay there, marginally conscious, bundled up in sheets, for at least a couple of hours.)

Did you enjoy the use of a Turkish bath before or afterwards?

Ah, but have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

I was dissappointed in my first few massages that the women I went to didn’t give enough pressure. The last one, though, pushed me right to my limit. I was about a second away from yelping, but it was great. I’m not sure of her exact position since I was already melted into the table, but she somehow sat next to the table and used the heels of her feet on my upper back. It took everything I had to stay relaxed. I stood up slowly after the massage. I felt a little nausea, but it went away after a few minutes. I fully recommend this technique.

I know there’s a joke here somewhere, but I honestly (really, truly) believe that if you don’t feel a bit dizzy and nauseous after you get up after a massage, they didn’t use enough pressure.

And like I said upthread, my girlfriend got massages for us last Thursday after work at the student clinic. It was awesome. Not all the bells and whistles of a spa (but they did have nature sounds “music”), but the massages for both of us were great. They might still be students, but they sure did know what they were doing. And at $19 bucks for the hour I kind of felt that I was being cheap with only a ten dollar tip. Can’t wait to do it again.

I’ve never had a massage, but I probably should because I know I’m always super tense. Lately I’ve had tension headaches literally every day when I get up and it’s absolutely killing me. I should look into it.

I recommend the therapeutic scalp massage as well as the full body for you. Heck, it’s better than popping pills. I really hope it benefits you.

I’ve had a few professional massages and never had the soreness described in the OP. Well, one time when I’d been suffering from a spasm in the upper back/shoulder area for a week (and high-dose ibuprofen was barely touching it), the therapist worked so hard on that spot that it genuinely felt bruised… on the other hand, the next day the spasm pain finally started to disappear. I’ll take a bit of a bruise over constant pain any day.

I had a reflexology done today on my feet and lower legs for half an hour. It was quite nice and very soothing. Recommended if you are on your feet a lot, walking, running, and/or sore there.

I get massages a lot and I love them. My scalp has become one of my favorite spots, actually! I used to alternate with facials but now I do both, at least once a month.

And I have definitely noticed a trend towards swimsuits in the women’s spa. Seems weird to me, as I “came up” in the Euro-type spa setting where everybody is nekkid (good, bad or emotionally scarring as that may be! :wink: ). And these are young girls with good or great bodies- I have no idea why they aren’t comfortable in a spa setting with other women.

I always go commando- it’s the way it’s meant to be.

I will put on the disposable undie-thong-thing and maybe the chest cover, but usually not, because that would get in the way.
I haven’t spotted any swimsuits in my spa yet…