So, I just spent about a week in the hospital

By the way, thanks to everyone who’s responded. Little words of encouragement really do mean a lot. I think a lot of my friends were afraid to call me while I was in the hospital; otherwise healthy people getting suddenly sick is pretty scary to deal with. So, I do appreciate the kind words.

Calmly extends a soft touch, non-bruising high five to pravnik

Glad to see you found out now and can address it through medicine and some relatively minor lifestyle changes. Take care, Bud.

Sorry to hear of the obstacle, but glad that very bad things were avoided. Hopefully you can find an activity that keeps you in the arts, but keeps you safe as well. Hang in and take care of the missus, btu glad to have you around!

Greenfield filters are no longer normaly used. They do case raidiologists to do a double take on CT scans, however.

Wifes dose is somewhat less than two .8/120ml injections of Lovenox per day, but way over what is available in allegidly multiuse containers. Blood doc decided to go with prefilled, less muss and lower risk of infection. Insurance is presently giving 5 day supplies, can’t wait to see the reaction to the 90 day script.($21,603.60)

Man, does that suck (tho, as has been observed, it beats the alternative).

Sounds pretty serious. I don’t know what “low impact” exercise options exist for you. Maybe cycling? I tried fencing after shredding my foot and wrist, but after full contact it just paled by comparison. But you’ll find something. You’re still a young pup. I guess it is time for you to realize “Well, I guess I can’t do THAT anymore. I guess I’ll find something else to do for the next decade or so.” After the first 2-3 times, it gets easier and easier. Just different stages of your life.

But having said that, this creaky old man would like to to take this opportunity to challenge you to a full contact fight. And if you decline, I’ll have to tell everyone what a pussy you are! :stuck_out_tongue:

Paintball as a hobby is probably out.

Remember that movie Unbreakable? Sounds like you are my evil arch nemisis. While you have a genetic disorder that causes your blood to clot more easily neccessitating the need for blood thinners, I have a genetic blood disorder that inhibits my blood from clotting. While I don’t take any prophylactic to increase the clotting on a daily basis, there are certain drugs I would need to take if I were going to have surgery, or just a daily bloodletting. Because of this condition, I bruise very easily. The biggest thing you have to worry about is head trauma and a potential brain bleed. That’s why contact sports are a no-no.

Oh, and I still play paintball every once in a while. :slight_smile:

Curious minds want to know: what was the mutation leading to the clotting predisposition?

I’m glad that you’re out of the hospital and seem to be doing a bit better. All the best with your recovery.

Adjusting to chronic medical conditions takes time. As you seem to understand, it is a change in how you see yourself, and that’s hard. Be as patient as you can with yourself.

Two good websites for chronic medical conditions are

Welcome home, and take care of yourself.

Same to Mrs. pravnik. :slight_smile:

Funny the twists and turns life takes, sorry to hear you have to cut back your martial arts, that makes for a big adjustment in your life. Wishing you good health, at least you’re alive to adjust!

Accepted. Gotta hit me before you can bruise me, grandpa. :smiley:

Seriously, though, I don’t want to get ahead of myself - I don’t know what all I’m going to be able to do and not do on the blood thinners yet. I’ve read both success stories and horror stories about warfarin - I don’t want to be unrealistically hopeful or overly pessimistic, but rather just take it one day at a time and see what comes. If I can train, great, if not, maybe I’ll start doing more Escrima or look for something else.

Heterozygous for Factor V Leiden thrombophilia and homozygous for Factor II Prothrombin 20210 mutation.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head. It’s not so much the loss of a hobby as how I see myself. Before last week I could look across a ring at somebody who wanted to hurt me badly and not even blink. This week I’m concerned about cutting myself while shaving.

Dunno, man - not sure I’d want to be responsible for the damage I’d cause your knuckles with my face! :cool:

This might be a nice, low contact event to aim towards…

Doc put me on crutches yesterday, so this is probably an excellent time to catch me. :slight_smile:

Link’s broken. Let me guess, though: Dog Brothers Gathering? :smiley:

We think too much alike, bro! :stuck_out_tongue:

I always kinda wondered where the line was for me. Not exactly sure - but I’m pretty certain those guys are over it! Sure looks like fun tho…

pravnik - I hear you on the adjusting. I have had some health issues this year that are keeping me from running and racing this year. This was going to be my first year in Triathlon DAMMIT!
Now everything is on hold - pending outcome. Sucks to be in limbo.

Wow, I’m sorry to hear that, and so glad you are recovering. Hmmm… maybe take up some type of grappling?

I’m pretty certain I used to get more bruising from grappling than from striking.