So, I'm going to see Fairport Convention tomorrow . . .

. . . in Pittsburgh. What can I expect? Anybody seen them on this current tour? What are they playing? What’s the lineup (The venue’s website states that it’s Simon Nicol (guitars, vocal), Chris Leslie (fiddle, mandolin, bouzouki, vocal), and Ric Sanders (violin) so no Dave Pegg, is this right?)

I’m pretty excited about this. I’ve been a casual fan for a long time and as far as I know this is the first time they’re playing close to me, so I don’t know what to expect.

I saw them 2 weeks ago. The line-up on tour is an acoustic trio - hopefully your local promoter was honest about that. The show was still good, but its definitely a different experience without a rhythm section.

If you go to their official site here , you’ll find various reports from the tour (including a few photos from your’s truly mixed in).

I enjoyed the show very much (never seen them have a bad show in the 20 times I’ve seen them).

The guys are very approachable, so if you’re into autographs/pictures/or just chewing the fat, go right ahead.

Enjoy!

Thanks. The show was great. The venue was very small. Club Cafe’s website said that their capacity was 150 but I don’t see how that’s possible. I counted about 50 people and there were only a few seats empty (Yes, it was so small that I was able to count all the people there). Having such an intimate place was great.

I like that they seem to travel so light, the show felt so real. I saw no roadies, one sound guy, one guitar, 2 violins and a mandonlin. Simon Nicol seemed to spend a lot of time tuning his guitar and trying to make up smalltalk, mostly about the differences between parts of England and Pittsburgh. In retrospect, I wonder if they knew that the part of town the show was in (The South Side) was once a seperate industrial city called Birmingham?