So, I'm the Godfather. Present?

Thanks for the tips so far, everyone - I’ve been a godparent before, and am also an uncle. I think this one just means more to me because he shares my name (which is a pretty big honor).

It sounds like “cashish” is the way to go - which I suspected. Hell, a kid that age appreciates the box that the toy comes in as much as the toy itself. Best to put the money into something that will be useful down the road.

In our family some kids had Godparents that gave gifts and others that didn’t. It kind of sucks when your siblings get them and you don’t. I’d say half the Godparents gave presents and the other half money. Many didn’t live nearby so money through the mail was the only option.

College fund. He’ll appreciate the living daylights out of that when he’s 18. Some of my parents’ friends gave me savings bonds at birth, and though I never ended up having to cash them (I got through school without debt, mostly on scholarships) I liked having the backup. I may do this same thing for friends when they have kids. If a dozen of my parents’ friends had done this, it might have been able to pay for a whole semester.

I dunno, I think any kid named GiantRat is not going to feel very honored. :stuck_out_tongue: