So long, Sir Donald Bradman

Though this thread will be of little interest to most Americans, I thought it should be posted here.

Cricket has lost its greatest star today–Sir Donald Bradman has passed away at the age of 92. (An article can be found here.) For anyone who follows cricket, that should be enough to hear; for everyone else, let’s just say that Bradman was so far ahead of everyone else in his field it’s hard to imagine who was ever more dominant in their sport. In Test cricket, you’re considered a great batsman if you average 40; the second-best average in history was about 60; Bradman’s average was 99.94.

Goodbye, Sir Don. <salute>

Ach, let’s fix that link: Sir Donald Bradman.

Not only was Bradman the greatest Cricketer who has ever lived he was quite possibly the greatest sportsman who has ever lived. His standard was so high that no one will ever come close to it in our lifetime if ever.

All you Yanks pay attention he truly was a great man.:frowning:

The Don never made much money from his sporting achievements, and even though still highly regarded here in his native Australia (prime time TV special about three years ago, and a prime minister who would take every possible photo opportunity) never seemed to have a big head about it. A very down-to-earth, normal bloke.

[sub] and I HATE cricket![/sub]

Redball

R.I.P Sir Don. An incomparable cricket player and an Australian icon. Through the seemingly insignificant action of hitting a ball with a bat, he brought a nation together and lifted its heart to soaring heights.

He will not be forgotten.

He was a true gentleman.

He had a huge reputation, his talent was said to be based more on sheer hard work and persistance rather than the natural gifts of, say, David Gower.

He could have cashed in big time but IIRC he gave very few interviews or commentaries, never saw any advertising related to him.

His test average was an astonishing 99.94 runs per innings in his international career which would surely have been greater still had it not been for the interruption of WWII.

In an era of multimillion dollar annual salaries for American athletes, I can only say how refreshing it is to hear of such a consumate sportsman. My sympathies to all cricket fans and our mates down under.

Channel 9 (WIN?) replaced its “A Girl Thing” with a Don Bradman special at 8:30, 9:30 or so… at least in Melbourne.

A great man indeed :frowning:

I cannot recommend a mini-series called Bodyline enough. It’s about the 1932/33 Ashes series in Australia where the English used a tacit of bowling at the body rather than at the wicket.

It is one of the best tv series I’ve ever seen (and I’m not a fan of cricket at all). If anyone ever gets a chance to see this programme please do, you will not regret it.

This was very sad news indeed.
Goodbye The Don. :frowning:

As already said: The finest cricketer of any generation and a true Gentleman. But what Sir Donald Bradman stood for was even more important than being the best batsman the world has seen.

I remember reading as a schoolboy about how The Don contributed more to a sense of ‘Australianess’ than any other individual. The exploits and sacrifice of the ANZACS during WW1, especially at Gallipoli, determined, within Australia, a need for Australia to have an identity beyond the mother country. What Sir Donald stood for played the significant role in shaping and, to no small degree defining, what it was to be ‘Australian’.

He personified the pursuit of excellence through honest endeavour. A man from a humble background who with grace, athleticism, integrity and plain decency showed the Poms - and anyone else - that Australians could be world-beaters and in a nation obsessed with sport, nothing could be finer.

I haven’t read anything in the intervening 25 years that disputes that which I read whilst in short-trousers. By your unique standard, 92 wasn’t a bad innings Don. Just a little short of your Test Match average but sometimes even you have to yield to one of those unplayable deliveries.

Good on yer, mate.

Well put (again) London Calling. Here is Bradman’s main page on CricInfo. There is a link on the front page for tributes. There are 40 pages already. A strange and sad day.

Somehow, the world seems a colder, lonelier place today.

Once upon a time, someone in the Australian Broadcasting Corporation coined the phrase “the game is not the same without McGilvray”, which very aptly described the doyen of all cricket commentators, the late great Alan McGilvray.

Quite simply, the game is definitely not the same without The Don to watch over it, as he did throughout his retirement.

Rest in peace.

I’m not a fan of cricket, and I can’t stand the way sporting personalities are treated as Gods. That said, I mourn the passing of Sir Donald Bradman, as a true gentleman and decent human being.
As other posters have mentioned, Sir Donald did not cash in on his fame as so many others have, but in retirement was content to sit in the background and watch others share the limelight. He was the kind of man who would have been mourned even if he wasn’t a cricketing legend, and my deepest sympathies go out to everyone who loved him.

Goodbye Sir Don, the greatest sportman to ever live :frowning:

IIRC some sporting statistitian once did an analysis that indicated The Don’s batting average, so far above the second best, was over four standard deviations above the mean which was the equivalent of a career baseball batting average of about 600.

As a sportsman whose exploits transcended both his sport and his country, he would be on a par with Pele, Ali, Jordon and very few others.

His place at the heart of Australian identity is interesting because he wasn’t a stereotypical Australian role model. He wasn’t a larikin, rarely drank, would usually retire to his room with classical music rather than carouse with the touring party.

He had some hefty stoushes with the authorities when playing but became pretty authoritarian in his own right as an administrator. To a large part his conservative stance on cricket finances made the Packer revolution of the 70s inevitable. Conversely he was always ahead of his time in trying to make the game attractive to the public.

He was one of the first cricketers to exploit the commercial aspects of his abilities (and good on him for it) at a time when the sport was almost purely amateur. However the flood of public attention because so great that he realised it could overwhelm him.

I believe the Lindenburg kidnapping was a key to his realisation that fame could extract a fearful price and he largely withdrew from the public eye, but was never far from his sport.

To me the greatness was his humility superimposed on that phenomenal talent and intense work ethic. Reports have suggested that he would was still answering as many as 80 letters per day possible even into his 90’s.

vale “The Don”

And let us not forget that he played first class cricket for 20 years. How many players now could ever match that? No… These days it’s 4 or 5 years of one-dayers and you retire to pasta commercials, sex scandals and the Central Commentary Position.