So... Morrowind's out. Anyone got it yet?

Out of curiousity, what are the minimum requirements for this game?

http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/goods/systemreq.asp

I’ve perused some Morrowind forums, to see if my below spec PIII-400 could handle it. From what I’ve seen–not a bloody chance in hell. There are people with 1+ GHz systems who get slow framerates, but I guess that’s a matter of personal choice. Also, the system component that most determines the game’s speed is your video card. Or maybe your RAM. Or maybe even your processor. (IOW, opinions vary :wink: )

Sure, I’m envious of all you bastards who CAN play, but I’ll still help ya out. I’ve seen nothing but good on the Forums about the no-Safedisk patch. I’d provide a link, but it’s a hack, and the mods here at SDMB can get pissy sometimes about such things. But I’m sure you can find it… it’s all over the place.

Quix

P.S. Oh yeah, I’ve also seen people having luck with Voodoo 4/5/6 cards, except you can’t see the ingame movies. But that’s rectifiable with the Rad Video something or other (from the people who make Bink). Good luck [bastards, grin]

Safedisk patch: I tried it, did absolutely nothing to speed up my system. Bah!

Unarmed: I assume you mean hand-to-hand, Drastic? I got mine to 100 last night. It IS very slow to kill things using it. I can knock things down pretty fast, but killing them afterwards takes forever. I have found that I can keep at least two monsters down and move from one to the other to kill 'em, but once again, it takes forever. I’m hoping that some items show up soon to help out with it. I found one glove - a Sanguine Horny Fist - but the #!@$#! guild master wanted it for some quest or another so I gave it to him. Bah!

I’m massively enjoying this- it’s good to see that the sequel to Daggerfall wasn’t a let-down.

I’m currently playing an “Arcane Fist”- a custom class, basically a magic-using monk. I tried using Unarmed for a while, but it’s so damn slow… longsword appears to be the best “killing” skill I’ve found. I LOVE the Unarmored skill, though. Can’t wait to start enchanting things- I’ve a few ideas on how to “improve” clothing… Maybe a continuous Divine Intervention on a robe… Hmm…

This is the first game I’ve seen where there are benefits and disadvantages to using the various armor levels. And FINALLY, someone did Alchemy the right way.

One of the few complaints I have, though, is that it’s hard to select the proper spell to cast in the middle of combat. Maybe I missed something, though.

Has anyone played around with the editor, yet? I think THAT’S going to be the key to the longevity of the game. I took a brief look at it this morning, and now I’m itching to make my own race.

Has anyone noticed yet that there seems to be a difference in character heights? I went from playing a Wood Elf directly to a Nord (the elf is still my main character–I was just cheating on him). I felt like I was tottering around on stilts. Maybe it was just my imagination…maybe not…

Daoloth, the Imperial Rogue, is currently decked out in Chitin armor and an exquisite blue robe. He has last been seen travelling around plantations near Suran, which incidentally is the city of his spacious home (used to be the Suran slave house). He brandishes a poison tipped steel shortsword with which he vanquishes foes on a daily basis. He is currently at level 5.

And another thing to note about Morrowind: The total nonlinearity is astounding.

I have a level 3 battlemage that I’m mostly dicking around with to find out what I like the best. I think I like the fighting better than the spellcasting, but then again I don’t have any really cool spells yet.

My battlemage is working her way up the Mages’ Guild, and spent the substantial proceeds from a back guild dues collection on some kick-ass steel armor.

Dr. J

Feydwar is a 6th level Redguard barbarian (didn’t Redguards used to be dwarves?) dressed in orcish armor that looks suspiciously samurai-like. With a big axe. And a ring that shoots lighting bolts. And the axe shoots lightning bolts too. Excuse me.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem. Anyway, I’m really enjoying this game. At first I thought it took too long to level up, until I realised I wasn’t gaining levels because I wasn’t doing anything: I was spending all my time wandering around, admiring the scenery. This is a beautiful game. And huge. Not only huge, but full. There’s something going on around every corner. I can’t believe the sheer number of quests I’ve already gotten, and I’ve only explored a quarter of the continent. And I’ve only scratched the surface of that quarter. And aside from being huge, and full, the best thing is that it’s not random. The first two games were so tranparently random, from the boilerplate quest dialogue (“Go to X and bring me Y, and I’ll give you Z.”) to the obvious name generator, (“Hi, I’m Zig Talfur!” “Pleased to meetcha, I’m Tal Furzig!”) to the ridiculous randomly assembled dungeons (“I thought the exit was in the room with the fountain. Oh wait, that was in the last dungeon. This time it’s in the room with the statue!”) it was stultifyingly artificial. Morrowwind is a living, breathing world. Damn, this game is an amazing accomplishment.

Can’t type any more, must play.

Ok, so are the dungeons as ridiculously huge as they were in Daggerfall? That’s the only thing I really didn’t like about that game. I don’t mind a large area to play, but they were insane. Is Morrowwind a bit better in that regard?

I spend a lot of time sneaking as I walk around town. I haven’t maxed out my sneak, but what with quicksave and quickload, I haven’t ever been caught.

They’re big, but there’s a lot more stuff in them, too, to make up for it. On top of that, they’re mostly unique, so you don’t really get as tired of them.

I also just ordered a Radeon 8500 to upgarde my puny little tnt2 ultra. All shall hail.

Yeesh, this does allow everything. :eek:

Slortar- Indeed there is. If you take a look at the races tab in the editor, you can see that each race has a height and weight listed. You can easily change those numbers, to make your character whatever height you want. I wonder how possible a dwarf is?

The editor’s amazing- in 15 minutes this morning I made an all-new race, complete with inherent abilities and stats. If I’d wanted to, I could have given them a tail, or an animal’s head, or whatever. Simply amazing.

I have it, and am impressed about several aspects of it. One thing I wish they did that the M&M series does, is the ability to switch from real time to turn based combat. My reflexes are just plain to slow for the speeds that my opponets react. I try to cast a heal self in the middle of a fight and its way to late because they move faster than I do…The game shouldn’t be about my reflexes, it should be about my Character’s!

But overall, a very well designed world…Me I want to find out how to create a cattaur race. :slight_smile:

Damn. If I’d noticed, I would have jacked up my character’s height. He’s really too short. I feel like a midget sometimes. I get a crick in my neck from talking to all those Nords…