So My Nine-Year-Old Got An Earring

Man, no fair. The youngest kids always get to do the cool stuff. We oldest kids always have to deal with parents who are still uptight and fighting us every step of the way.

:smiley:

So My Nine-Year-Old Got An Earring
Yes, he did. With my permission.

:eek: :eek:
WTF?

I am not a fan of piercings of any kind, including earrings. I am especially not a fan of children getting pierced. Especially single digit midgets.

There was no call for that. Seriously.

It’s a good thing he’s not yours, then, huh? At least, not that I know of.

This is good- this is preparing me for possible negative reactions IRL.
As for dyed-black hair, I’m an old pro with that. My two teenaged sons have been doing that for years now. No prob.

What about for girls? My mother got my ears pierced when I was… six, seven, something like that. I wore cute little gold balls or rhinestones, earrings kind of like what Alice The Goon’s son has.

For me… I’ve never had kids so I can’t say, but I don’t suspect I’d do it. I’m not really sure why, so I should probably examine that impulse.

The thing I kept thinking as I went through this thread…

It is nobody’s business. It’s between you and your son. Even though you solicited reactions, it’s nobody’s business.

I see why you did, though. It can help ahead of time to prepare yourself for rude comments.

I’ve always felt that, in general, kids raised on a short leash in a conservative way are the ones who get in trouble later in life. Let kids explore when they’re young, and doing “rebellious” things won’t be such a big deal when they get older.

I agree that it’s nobody’s business. Consenting to a lobe piercing falls under neither neglect nor abuse in the wide range of parenting choices, so that’s a no-brainer.

However, the last comment about kids raised on a short leash is not true. There is no magic formula for making people. A liberal approach will work better (to instil whatever it is we think of as virtue under the current mores, hence avoiding the “get in trouble later in life” business) with some cognitive and personality sets, a tighter one with others. The leash comment is evocative in that anyone who’s raised a series of dogs knows that there is no magic formula for the far, far simpler task of raising a dog – we should readily think that the same would be true for raising children.