So My Nine-Year-Old Got An Earring

I’m enchanted that he chose pink. I get so tired of men who are afraid of pretty colors.

I got my first one at ten. Mine was aquamarine, which is my birthstone. They didn’t have a great selection for dudes at the mall piercing place back twenty years ago. The only drawbacks were that it got infected due to my 10 year old boy level of attention to open wounds at the time, and I did get the post snagged on something at some point too, I think my shirt. I switched to a ring soon after. I’m 30 now and I’ve worn earrings in both ears since I was 15.

Our nine year old doesn’t want an earring (I’ve even offered to go in on it with him), but his hair is now 14 inches long, and absolutely beautiful. The Kiddo definitely has his own style… As he’s neat and proper, we let him pretty much have his say when it comes to his appearance. I figure that one of these days he’ll have to conform, so we might as well let him express himself while he has the chance…

I think a lot of that is going to be based upon where you are, where you go with him (where he goes). Yanno?

I know some very conservative people who would have an extremely negative reaction to it.

For example, my 19-yr old son has an earring, and has had it since he was about 16 (IIRC). My husband asks him to take it out when son is around Hubby’s brother. Seriously.

I drew the line at asking him to take it out in our home - I said Look, this is his home too. Big Brother can get over it.

Personally, I think it’s fine. As far as taking care of it - my daughter has had her ears pierced since she was 2, and she took care of them all this time … if a 9-year old girl can do it, certainly a 9-year old boy can.

ETA: Unless you’re Cluricaun, apparently. :stuck_out_tongue: I suppose he may need some help remembering to keep up with it.

My son got an earring at 11, with my permission. He was very proud of it, took excellent care of the hole and all. But then he got into a summer theater program he’d been working towards for a couple years and they wouldn’t allow any of the kids, boys or girls, to wear earrings while performing, so he happily took it out again and has never replaced it.

Frankly, I don’t think it’s a big deal – if kids want to get purple hair or an earring, then it’s a darned sight better than other ways they might rebel. I figure why sweat the small stuff?

I agree with Mother Tiger: don’t sweat the small stuff. My son was free to grow his hair long, get an ear pierced, dress in black… he didn’t have the option of slacking in school though…

Ahh, what? Your adult son has to take out an earring to pacify an Uncle? You can guess what I’d say to said relative.

I got my first earring at 14, and got two holes pierced in each ear. I haven’t worn earrings for two years (since my daughter was born). If anyone has asked me to take them out, I would have smiled and ignored them.

This adult son still lives at home, so he’s ‘going along to get along’ as they say. I assure you that what you’d say to said relative has been on the tip of my tongue more times than I care to think about. :wink: Nice earring though, huh? I really like that omega shape. It looks so much better than just a plain bar, or the plugs his buds have.

Nine sounds young to me–especially on a boy, but better to have it properly pierced than do what the younger brother of a friend did. He was afraid* he wouldn’t get parental permission, so he pierced it himself with a “piece of metal” (as opposed to a proper earring, stud or otherwise). It got infected. Also, he pierced it 6 weeks before JROTC summer camp or something (don’t know if I ever knew the details) but earrings on males were strictly forbidden, especially while in uniform. He was a tad older than 9, but obviously not real clear in his thinking.

*As in, he never even asked his parents until after the self-piercing was discovered. His mom would not have been thrilled but would have permitted it, his dad would have been even less thrilled, but would probably have tolerated it.

Okay, pictures have been taken. Click on each pic to enlarge. He’s cute as a button!

This is a new image host for me, so somebody please let me know if it doesn’t work for you.

It wants me to log in.

Here’s the log-in info- my email’s already available here and the password is unique to the site, so I’m not scared:

Hee hee! Cute, in a piratey sort of way.

My mother wouldn’t let me get my ears pierced til I was 13; she was adamant that earrings are tacky on little girls.

Of course I thought she was crazy, because most of my friends had gotten their ears pierced at birth, and I was gonna be “thirteen whole years behind!!”

Looking back, I have to agree with her; earrings are like makeup IMHO. They belong on people past puberty.

If I had a son, I would honestly and instinctively NOT want him to get one or both of his ears pierced, ever, because I’m old-fashioned that way…

But if he insisted, I’d make him wait til he was thirteen also.

As for the OP’s kid, however, I would probably think “that’s kind of odd,” and leave it at that. Not my kid, not my business! There’s nothing wrong with it, I’m just more conservative.

Looks good! I had two hoops in each ear until my daughter was born. She enjoyed pulling on them, so out they came. However, pulling on my earrings wasn’t nearly as painful as pulling on my chest hair.

I know you’re not particularly concerned about your login information, but we don’t want anyone reading these boards to hijack your account. I’ve removed the information.

My guess is that your image site has a way for guests to access your pictures without logging in. You should be able to contact their support department if you don’t find any information right away.

My son got his ear pierced on the last day of 5th grade.
Wanted it earlier, but was having enough trouble with some little shits in his grade school, we convinced him to wait until he’d be going to middle school.
He was one of the younger kids around us to have one.
Still not as common as I’d expect.

Sorry, SkipMagic. I wasn’t concerned about it, but thanks for looking out for me.

My photobucket page wouldn’t let me log in yesterday, but now it will, so new link to pictures .

Me too! I’ve seen several boys of the Goon-child’s age with earrings, but none as nice as that one.

This is a timely thread for me… This weekend my sixteen year old daughter decided to dye her hair black. I talked to her at length about all the possible drawbacks, and then I helped her with it.

When my mom found out, she just raged at both of us and then she cried. She thinks that people will think a lot of terrible things about her granddaughter based on this color choice. I think that sixteen years old is the best possible time in your life to do weird things to your hair.

I think it’s great for kids to be allowed some* freedom of expression.

*I’m drawing the line at tattoos or anything that can’t be changed later on.

He’s awesome!

My nephew was 8 when he got his. His twin sister was getting her ears pierced and he (rightly) saw no reason why he shouldn’t as well.

I think it’s great that kids have an expanding vision about what’s acceptable these days. My daughter has a crush on a boy in her preschool class who wears glasses and an eye patch. She thinks he’s the dreamiest, I swear! In my day, he would have been the object of ridicule, I’m sure. (His parents seem very cool, too—evidently he has a whole wardrobe of eye patches so that he can coordinate with his outfit).