So, what did you get in the Steam sale?

And what did you almost get? Which one do you suspect you won’t get around to playing?

Got:
Terraria
The Witcher 2
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves
Far Cry 3
Beatbuddy: Tale of Guardians

Almost got:
Mark of the Ninja
Skyrim
Civ V: Brave New World

Might not play
I got Beatbuddy for my daughters, but for a platformer, it’s really good (i.e, easy and has nice music), so I might play. The Witcher 2 annoyed me a bit by being story heavy. Possibly Far Cry, as I haven’t even tried it yet.

Picked up:

Gone Home
Cities XL Platinum
Lego Avengers (for my son)
Serious Sam 3: BFE
The Stanley Parable
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Gunpoint
Anno 2070
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (for the kids)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

I have no idea what I will/won’t get around to playing. Right now I’m playing a lot of Dragon Age and Mass Effect, which are games I bought in LAST year’s Steam sale. So who knows, really. My usual strategy is to buy stuff when it’s 75% off or more, and then whenever I’m in the mood for a new game, I have a lot to choose from without breaking the bank.

I got:
State of Decay
Gnomoria
Duel of the Planeswalkers 2014
Orcs Must Die! 2

State of Decay is ruined by the developers’ stupid ideas.
Gnomoria I tried to start, but it seems to have a different set of unintuitive controls to Dwarf Fortress, so I gave up for now.
DotP 2014 is good, but would be better if the developers didn’t deliberately cripple it to encourage you to buy their other games.
Orcs Must Die! 2 I haven’t tried yet.

I picked up Poker Night 2 for 99 cents, which is about what it’s worth.
That and a bunch of those stupid cards, never wasting time on that again.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City. Fun enough, but terrible save system so I lost interest.
Natural Selection II. For finally getting into some of the community games.
Nihilumbra. Haven’t tried it yet.
Castlestorm. Cute enough. Worth a couple bucks.
Spelunky.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition. Very well made Metroidvania brawler.
Papers, Please. Don’t really “get” it.
Super Hexagon
Mount and Blade: Warband
Max Payne 3 Collection
Skyrim Legendary Edition.

The average cost of the games, if you don’t include Skyrim (a pricey outlier that I’ve been planning on picking up for a while) was $3.31. If you include Skyrim it goes up to $4.62/game.

Mark of the Ninja
3DMark Advanced
SteamWorld Dig
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Unepic
Wargame: Airland Battle
Castlestorm

New Star Soccer 5 – I already have the smartphone version (which is very different) and play it a lot. There’s a pretty steep learning curve with the PC version, but it’s a lot of fun. Good value for $3.49 or whatever it was. Highly recommended even at the current price of $15.

Shattered Union – Basically Panzer General 2, but set in a near-future second American Civil War. I’ve only dabbled with it so far, but the interface is frustratingly clunky and I have no immediate plans to return to it.

The entire Serious Sam series
The entire Tomb Raider series
The Stanley Parable
Bioshock trilogy
The free copy of Left 4 Dead 2
Hard Reset
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
Kentucky Route Zero
Dear Esther

Now I need to buy an additional hard drive because my mere 640 GB c: drive is overflowing with Steam purchases.

Between purchases & gifts from Steam, Amazon, GMG, GG, Nuuvem, etc:

Aliens: Colonial Marines
You Don’t Know Jack Classic Pack
Don’t Starve
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Dead Island: Riptide
Remember Me
Medal of Honor: Warfighter
Mortal Kombat Collection
Deadpool
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Antichamber
Nation Red

I mainly picked up A:CM because it was cheap ($2) and to see if it was as bad a train wreck as described. I don’t recall buying Mortal Kombat at all (it’s nothing something I’d normally get) and can’t find an email confirmation from any vendor for it – I think I must have grabbed it in a gift code drop. Remember Me was a terrible, dreadful game; disappointment of the sale for me. Don’t Starve doesn’t look like something I’d have bought but it was a gift and people speak well of it so I’ll give it a shot. MoH: Warfighter was poorly reviewed but the SP campaign seems fine to me. Nothing much more or less noteworthy than the usual tack-on single player shooter campaign. It was cheap, anyway.

I passed on Papers, Please because I suspect it’ll either be in an indie bundle or else at least cheaper than 50% off soon enough. I keep thinking about Kerbal Space Program but the combination of low discounts and “alpha status” keeps me away.

Kerbal Space Program is worth the asking price. It’s already a stable, playable game, they’re just still adding things like better balance for rewards from objectives, better craters on the moon, and new components.

Yeah, but I don’t buy stuff for 25%-33% off. Gotta have sale standards :wink:

I bought Poker Night 2 (and after giving it a go, I still find poker confusing), and Borderlands 2 GOTY via another site after Steam doubled their sale price offer.

I still have a ton of never-even-installed games from previous sales.

Wow, I am one stingy girl I guess. I bought BioShock infinite and avernum 6, and thought long and hard about those two!

Junior Barbarian absorbed my Steam account some time ago, taking with it the half-dozen games I had. So I finally created a replacement account and added all those, cheap, along with some new stuff that came on sale.

Orange Box (Half-Life set, Portal, TF2, etc.)
Bioshock Infinite (missed the sale, got all three for a penny extra).
Super Hexagon
Antichamber
Fallout New Vegas (got the bundle cheap)
Rise of the Triad

No idea which if any I will play for long. Since CoX went away, I just don’t have much interest in games.

I bought Company of Heroes 2, Terraria, Kerbal Space Program, Orcs Must Die 2 and Starbound for my sons, and picked up Dishonored for myself, though I haven’t played it yet.

Din’s Curse and expansion, as the latest co-op game a friend and I play every week. Plus he also got me a copy of Castle Crashers as a gift, but that one feels like it hasn’t really been fully ported to computers yet (my keyboard does not have bumper buttons on it, and ABXY are wholly unsuited for use as game controls).

You know you got a problem when a Steam sale comes up and you already got everything.

There are quite a few games on Steam that benefit immensely from a 30-dollar Logitech gamepad. I bought one about a year ago and have not regretted it.

Yeah, I got the new Castlevania game, and set it aside after five minutes until I get around to picking up a game pad for my PC. Looks very cool, but it’s a pain in the ass to play with a keyboard.

If you’ve got a wired xbox controller lying around that’ll work excellently. If you’ve got a wireless one, you can use a $20 wireless usb adapter for it.

I picked up:

Brothers: a tale of two sons. Loved that little game. You need a gamepad for it for sure the entire mechanics of the game are built around two analog sticks. Heart felt little story and beautiful stylised graphics. It’s like playing through a beautifully animated Brothers Grimm story book.