So, what made you smile today?

This made me smile just now!

A glass of pomegranate juice after several years of not bothering to buy them. Man, I love that stuff! Tastes so pure and clean and healthy. Made a glass for my elderly neighbor, too, so double smiles.

K9 Alarm Clock – 6:50 AM, a mid-size dog lands on the bed, hollering, “Get up! It’s almost 8 o’clock and I’m hungry! And I gotta pee!” What a maroon! :smiley: :smiley:

I watched Slap Shot tonight. An uncut and pretty damn good quality video on some Showtime channel or something.

Goddamn, that movie is funny! Was in 1977, in 2000 and is still fucking funny today. I don’t give a fuck. That shit is funny. Label me.

We had some beautiful weather today. I’ve seen lots of bleak November days in Canada. But today was sunny and the high here reached almost 17 degC (63 degF). Went to the gym and felt so energized I squatted… well, a lot. Most in a while.

The local trees are turning amazing colors. This tie-dye maple a couple of blocks from my home turns my head every time I pass it:

Today’s shelter moment:

A guy brought in a cute-as-hell dog that he found last night a stray.
1- he also brought in the bed and toy he got for the dog, whom, again, he had only had one night and had never been planning to keep. And we knew that his story was legit and he wasn’t just trying to pass his own dog off as a stray because
2- the dog was posted as lost on one of the local lost and found sites last night, so we got in contact with the owner- pretty much the best phone call we get to make- and let her know her dog was found and safe and that we were enjoying our time with him immensely.

Then, I came home and found that my landlord, who been by to fix the garage door while I was at work, had brought my dog a new toy. He wasn’t sure about her at first, but apparently, he’s come around.

I just realized today that we’ve finally turned the corner with the puppy, Rigatoni. He seems to be potty trained! :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

I’m retired. I get up every day with a smile because I don’t have to work anymore.

Today, a dog came to the shelter… on her own! Just ran up to someone in the parking lot.

And get this: she was one of ours! She was adopted a few months ago to someone who lived nearby, so when she got loose, she just decided to come and visit her old friends.

Her person came and picked her up as soon as we called, so it was all fine in the end- we enjoyed our visit with the dog and were all pretty amazed that she was able to find her way back to us!

I enjoyed watching the snow during the Michigan State game, but the smile was erased when Auburn beat themselves giving Alabama another win.

That’s great!

My five year old grandson came back into the house today after a short outing with his mom. He saw me reading on the couch, gave me a quick hug, and said as he disappeared into the next room,

“That was a surprise hug.”

The best kind, I think.

A friend of mine was talking about how she has a foster cocker spaniel (one of my favorite breeds) who is a retired breeder from a place that was generally not well-organized. She’s supposed to be spayed next week, but my friend says she’s noticed the dog is getting rounder around the middle… and she thinks she may have passengers!

She’s going to take her in before her spay to see what the vet thinks and if she is pregnant, she’ll be allowed to have her puppies. I can think of about 347 reasons why it would be a very bad idea for me to have a cocker spaniel puppy, but it’s a little like playing the lottery- even though I know it’s not actually going to pan out, the fantasy makes me smile. And if she is pregnant, I’ll get to visit and see her and her kids and maybe even foster a couple in between weaning and spay/neuter.

A old friend posted pics of her mother’s boxes of ornaments. I remember them from the family’s Christmas tree. She is sorting through them and lots of her memories today. Remembering her parents from my high school days made me smile today.

This morning, I was getting out of my car (which takes a minute- I use forearm crutches and have to gather my computer bag and lunch bag before trying to stand) and I hear “Look, it’s Dorothy!” from behind me and all of a sudden, my former roommate’s dog comes barreling toward me in a furry, wiggling ball of excitement. Then, she climbed right over me and planted herself in the passenger’s seat of my car, looking completely ready to go on an adventure of some sort. I love her. She’s 25% golden retriever and 75% pit bull and has the best of both breeds. And I haven’t seen her in… like six months? So that made my day.

Then, later, somebody came in to see a cat I put up. The cat is 10 years old, has been in the shelter for three years, and isn’t a big fan of other cats, so living in a big room with 69 of them kind of stresses her out. And stressed cats often behave in ways that are unattractive to adopters (and/or to everyone who deals with them unless they make an effort to understand that stress is a factor and be forgiving). Sometimes they’ll act shy or skittish. Sometimes, they act kind of cranky. Or very cranky. When they get home, it’s like the sun finally breaks through the storm clouds and their true personality can shine through (as I type right now, my “feral” cat is purring and nuzzling and begging me to go to bed and cuddle her. In the shelter, you couldn’t even pet her. For five years). The problem is just convincing people to try to understand and give them a chance even when they’re not showing off their best behavior. Which is where I come in. I write their stories so that people can get to know them a little before they meet them and I take videos so that people can see what they’re like when they’re interacting with someone they know.
Anyway. In all, today, three people came in to meet that “unadoptable” cat. The first adopted her. Which made my day for a second time. The second was a little disappointed that she was gone because, according to her “it sounds like she was made for me,” but then she chose another senior cat and adopted him. The third was just glad to hear that she had found a home and then went and chose a third senior cat.
That’s three senior cat adoptions off one story, which I think is a personal best.

That definitely made me smile. (Bit dusty in here, though.)

YOU made me smile today!

That’s fabulous to hear, congratulations.

I used to write for an adoption site, that also allowed you to “adopt” their permanent, disabled residents. While the place has a good setup and goals, the owner didn’t think I made the animals sound pathetic enough to garner donations and would rewrite everything so I simply stopped volunteering. I know the shelter is still going strong though.

‘Strictly Come Dancing’ is a popular UK TV program.
Amateurs learn to dance with professionals.
This year there is a deaf actor, Rose Ayling-Ellis. She gave us a memorable and wonderful moment in the middle of this dance:

Rose Ayling-Ellis and Giovanni Pernice dance Couple’s Choice :sparkles: BBC Strictly 2021 - YouTube