So what's the next super-big, multi-part movie saga gonna be?

You are SUCH the Tashlan*!

*Narnian for “AntiChrist”

Well, last time I talked to Joss (!)*, he said while Serenity was a stand-alone, it also would serve as the first of a trilogy, so I think it counts. :smiley:
*Comic-Con2004, San Diego.

Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time series.

Twelve movies in all, one released every year, starting in 2006. Total running time = 38 hours!

:smiley:

HGTTG

Oh, that would make me very happy indeed. :slight_smile:

Spider-Man has one more movie in it, I think. Not because it’s not good or not iconic, but because I think that’s what the principals have said. I think the movies will stand the test of time, though who knows how they end up looking next to Star Wars and Indy and that breed. X-Men could go for a few movies more, though I have no idea how they’ll keep paying all the stars.

Batman could be poised for a comeback. He’s already an icon, and it sounds like the movie they’re working on now has some real potential. Who knows, maybe the same could happen for Superman.

Please do not take at face value any IMDb entries for a work in production. The IMDb is built on user submissions that are (barely) vetted by an overworked staff, and their entries for upcoming movies are extremely unreliable.

</word to the wise>

Are there any plans to do any more with Patrick O’Brien’s characters (Master and Commander)?

I absolutely love the Dark Tower books, but a movie/tv adaption of them would royally suck ass.

According to this, Preliminaries are underway to bring the “His Dark Materials” trilogy to life. If done right, it could be as big as the Harry Potter Movies.

::crosses his fingers::

You SOB! Why did you have to unleash something so delightful and unattainable on my imagination? WHY?!? Hell, a HST and Dude movie could be as cool, if not cooler, than a Freedy Vs. Jason Vs. Ash movie. Just thinking about it is like looking at a strikingly beautiful woman that you knowm you can’t have. Now you’ve gone and pissed me off :mad: .

punches you

I’m thinking the same thing. If the first movie is as good as we all hope it’ll be, I think everyone would look forward to it’s sequals. Who knows, maybe if they make it to Mostly Harmless they can give it a quality happy ending.

I can’t help but hope that Futurama goes the Star Trek route and becomes a movie franchise, since its chances in TV seem dead.

(Yes, Family Guy is making a comeback, but so far, tere’s been no industry buzz that Futurama might. I therefore have no hope.)

John Varley’s *Titan / Wizard / Demon * trilogy would be cool to see on the big screen, if it was done right.

True enough, but this movie has been bandied about for a while and there is some critical mass, including a provisional OK by HF. Will it happen? I give it a 50% chance at this point.

Besides, a good friend of mine is one of the founders of IMDB…

Farscape

I’ll second this.

I doubt it would be considered “epic”, considering how The Stand turned out, but it would make me happy.

I’m sorry, I’m ow sorry! Look, if it makes you feel better, I’ll make it my life’s ambition to write, produce, and otherwise somehow get this project completed! I swears it! I swears on the Precious, you fiend!

What gives me hope is that the director of this is the guy that’s doing Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, note that his first film isn’t even out yet, and they’ve already signed him to do another flick. Which means that either Sky Captain is the kind of rip-roarin’ good movie that Hollywood desperately needs to be turning out, or it’s such a commercial piece of trash that it’ll suck so bad as to turn all of Hollywood into a blackhole, and thus prevent A Princess of Mars and anything else from being made. It’s a win-win, either way. :wink:

I’ve said it before: I wanna see A Canticle for Leibowitz done up as a nice trilogy.

And I’d like to see Philip K. Dick’s VALIS trilogy made. (VALIS, The Divine Invasion, and The Transmigration of Timothy Archer.) Done properly. mind. Maybe by Darren Aronofsky.

While I only found The Bourne Identity to be an okay movie, I liked The Bourne Supremacy a lot more. I think they could be built into a credible spy thriller/action series. A James Bond for the new generation, but with a main character who’s less polished/debonair - more nitty gritty fights, pursuits and martial arts .

I don’t think a series of Bourne movies would become anywhere near as popular as the Bond movies, but it could still do pretty well. Although I’m not sure if the box office gross from Identity/Supremacy is large enough support developing more movies, but they definitely wrote the ending to the last one in a way that would be easy to develop through further movies.

Very interesting ideas, all.

It’s fun to have big illusions to look forward to!