So . . . who wants to help me experiment with Irish Spring Soap?

[QUOTE=devilsknew]
Here’s a tip. I’ve been using Irish Spring soap in combination with Tag Green (First Move) Body Spray for Men. It has the same basic overtones as Irish Spring and really takes the whole freshness thing to new levels. I love the combination-- I smell fabulous, like a freshly bathed leprechaun!
[/QUOTE]

I got a headache just reading that!

Why is there a Google ad for “100% Pure Emu Oil” running below?

You could use the soap for impromptu behavioral experiments, by wandering around public parks and other pastoral outdoor settings, dressed in warm homespun clothing and whistling a sprightly jig, and presenting a bar of soap to random strangers while cheerfully expounding upon its virtues. Using a rustic clasp knife, carve a slice from the soap, thereby calling attention to its two deodorants. “Two deodorants!” you’ll repeat enthusiastically. “Manly, yes! But I like it, too!” Offer them the soap, exhorting them to deeply sniff its clean, fresh scent. Observe their reactions.

[QUOTE=Terrifel]
Observe their reactions.
[/QUOTE]

. . . as I get hauled off by the cops. :smiley:

Irish Spring is sort of a marbled green, right?

You could find some way to meld slices of it with slices of plain white soap, and then carve “cameos”. That would be way cool. I would so buy cameo soap!

Drill a hole in it and wear it as bling.
Portable room deodorizer & a fashion statement!

Also, if you ever go to prison, it could help too.

[QUOTE=DiosaBellissima]
No deer around here
[/QUOTE]

And therefore strong empirical evidence of its deer repellant properties!

And my experiments prove that it is an effective tiger and elephant repellant, too!

[QUOTE=Spiff]
And therefore strong empirical evidence of its deer repellant properties!

And my experiments prove that it is an effective tiger and elephant repellant, too!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but does it deter cows?..

Put some outside your apartment door. It’ll keep the deer from eating the knobs.

[QUOTE=DiosaBellissima]
No deer around here- just kit foxes and cats. Lots of cats.

Wait, do spiders hate Irish Spring? We’ve got tons of those to rid ourselves of :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Soap is a very effective insecticide, and would probably work on spiders. Add 1/4 cup melted Irish Spring to 1 3/4 cups of water in a spray bottle and go at them.

[QUOTE=Annie-Xmas]
Soap is a very effective insecticide, and would probably work on spiders. Add 1/4 cup melted Irish Spring to 1 3/4 cups of water in a spray bottle and go at them.
[/QUOTE]

Are you actually killing the spider with the soap or just drowning the little fucker?..

[QUOTE=934spe]
Are you actually killing the spider with the soap or just drowning the little fucker?..
[/QUOTE]

The Master Speaks

[QUOTE=Grossbottom]
Tie some slivers up in cheesecloth and put it in your dresser drawers so the scent permeates your clothing. Or maybe try dissolving a bar of it in some hot water, pour the water into a spray bottle and use it to clean with?
[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t that leave a residue?

[QUOTE=934spe]
Are you actually killing the spider with the soap or just drowning the little fucker?..
[/QUOTE]
Probably drowning. Spiders tend to be fairly waterproof, but if the surface tension of your liquid has been reduced (and saturation with soap does this quite effectively), the spider will go down like a poleaxed mule.

Actually tests in the wild would probably demonstrate little, if any, similarity among the two demises, but the simile – spoke to me.

Hey DiosaBellissima, if you are able to melt them down and put them through the candle-making routine, they’re not useless, even if they won’t burn. It sounds to me like a little pillar candle that smells like Irish Spring but won’t burn would make a great gag gift. And they should be useful as drawer sachets anyway.

Any other readers holding their breath as they read this? I don’t like the smell of Irish Spring! Sometimes my son will leave a bar here, and I have to stick it in a ziplock. Wonder what it is about it that I dislike so much…
No matter.
What I really want to know is – what is this press and seal thing of which you speak?

[QUOTE=934spe]
The only thing I can think of about melting it down is that the heat from melting the actual soap part (lye and salts, usually from fats) will drive off any oils… It is caputuring these oils that would be the real task.. I have captured a natural oil before, for a lab I did involving garlic (I still can’t eat garlic to this day after smelling it super strong for over 2 months, but that is a different story). From my garlic experiments, I can come to the following conclusion: Trying to get oil out is a VERY slow process, and it has VERY low yeild, I think too much is lost to evaporation…
[/QUOTE]

That’s awfully labor intensive indeed. Instead, the OP could just fresh squeeze an Irishman.

Have you considered, instead of all of this hard work, simply carving out a hole in the middle of a fresh bar and inserting an unscented tea light candle? I would think the heated wax would release some of the scent from the oils.

BTW: I use press and seal as replacement tops for 5 gallon water cooler bottles, amazing stuff.

[QUOTE=Another Primate]
Any other readers holding their breath as they read this? I don’t like the smell of Irish Spring! Sometimes my son will leave a bar here, and I have to stick it in a ziplock. Wonder what it is about it that I dislike so much…
No matter.
What I really want to know is – what is this press and seal thing of which you speak?
[/QUOTE]

I am, but that’s because Irish Spring gives me a terrible rash. Just the smell reminds me of itching like crazy.

[QUOTE=]

What I really want to know is – what is this press and seal thing of which you speak?
[/QUOTE]

Press 'n Seal

This stuff is fun.

[QUOTE=Spiff]
And my experiments prove that it is an effective tiger and elephant repellant, too!
[/QUOTE]

You mean you put some in the yard and no tigers or elephants have been spotted in your yard since?

I should try that.