So why no Star Wars episode 7-9?

Is it because Lucas can’t be bothered directing? I thought the story was already there for the last three episodes and beyond (the novels on sale are all part of SW canon apparantly.) And wasn’t the best of the first three, The Empire Strikes Back, directed by someone other than Lucas? What gives? Couldn’t he just retire on the massive royalties he’d get from yet another trilogy and be happy?

Why should they, besides to test out new special effects? Anyone who’s actually into StarWars that much will have read the novels - of which there are a ghastly number - so what’s the big deal?

And look: Nobody likes the prequel anyway.

After seeing the prequels, I now doubt that Lucas actually had planned out the nine films. Or, if he did, he abandoned those outlines soon after he started work on “Empire.”

IIRC, he now denies ever having mentioned nine films, though I clearly remember this in printed interviews when I was a kid (I was a SW fanatic when I was a kid - I may even have it saved in a scrapbook somewhere).

So why did he start on Episode IV? Was it the easiest place to start or what?

There were DEFINATELY going to be 9 films at one point - I distinctly remember seeing Lucas interviewed and mentioning them in context with his plans.

I suspect the reason he’s backed-off now is that by the time he’s done 3 and the DVD special editions of 1-6 he’ll be ready for retirement.

Either that or he simply doesn’t (yet) have the vision for where it should go after 6?

Given the quality of the story in 1-3 - it’s not a loss tho is it?

TTFN

JP

I believe there will be more “Star Wars” movies though I doubt there will be another trilogy. That universe has mass recognition and the Jedi mythology (vague as it is) seems to have an appeal even to those who dislike Eps. 1 & 2.

I have never read any of the Star Wars fiction, but I have enjoyed the “Jedi” games for the PC. It is a great hook, you feel like you understand the product before you even open the package. That franchise is simply worth too much money to remain on the shelf indefinitely.

I would imagine that we’ll have to wait until Lucas is dead to see more movies. The rest of the tie-ins will continue apace.

I agree though that we will likely have many many more Star Wars movies. I’ve got at least forty more years of active movie watching ahead of me and I would go see a few more films set in the Star Wars universe.

I very clearly remember the talk of “a trilogy of trilogies” among my brothers and their friends. I’ve only managed to see Ep I and II on video once each (though yes, I have seen the IV, V and VI numerous times), so I’m not too concerned about whether there are any more or not.

“That franchise is simply worth too much money to remain on the shelf indefinitely.”
I agree that new movies in the SW universe would be hugely profitable but I am not sure Lucas would allow them. It’s likely he wouldn’t want to direct them himself especially after the criticism of the new episodes. And he probably wouldn’t want to give them to other people not least because it could put his own latest efforts in poor light.

It’s easy to, for example, have someone play a youthful Obi-Wan (as it is also easy to dutifully split infinitives). How would we possibly get an older Leia, Solo, Calrisian, and Luke? I certainly doubt those actors would want to reprise their roles, and it’s been too long. 7-9 won’t happen.

The story that was going to be told in 7-9 was all wrapped up in Return of the Jedi.

Lucas’s original plan called for 3 more movies of fighting the empire. Luke was going to discover that he had a long-lost twin sister and he had to go on some adventure across the galaxy to find/save her. Then she had to be trained in the ways of the Force. Then together they would be able to overthrow the Emperor finally in Episode 9.

Instead, they decided to make Leia Luke’s long-lost sister and end it all in Episode 6.

The novels are beyond Lucas’s original vision for the Star Wars movies. Lucas’s timeline ended at the end of episode 6.

Pushkin asked:

The film wasn’t designated as “Episode IV” at first. That was added on at the rerelease just before Empire premiered.

The plethora of Star Wars novels out there are not canon. Only the words that come directly from Lucas’ mouth can be regarded as Star Wars fact. The rest is simply mythology. It’s the same as if some random author decided to make a book set in Middle Earth. Just because someone uses Tolkien’s themes doesn’t make it a valid part of Middle Earth’s history.

As for the actually story, Star Wars is about the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin Skywalker. We meet him in Episode 1, and he dies in Episode 6. END OF STORY. Whatever happened hundreds of years before that or a hundred years after is of absolutely no relevance.

You know, way back before “Phantom Menace” was released, I heard serious arguments from Star Wars fans to the effect that their preferred space opera was superior to Trek because everything published with the official Star Wars stamp was canon, and somehow checked for consistency with Lucas’ “vision.” In this way they avoided the continuity problems which plague the ongoing Star Trek franchise.

I have not heard this line being used for several years now.

I’ve never read a Star Wars novel, nor will I ever. And I have NEVER, at ANY point, considered to books to be canon.

Star Wars still kicks Trek’s ass though!:stuck_out_tongue:

Soapbox, it is the policy of LFL that anything that does not have an Infinities label on it is considered canon.

LFL said it. I believe it. That settles it. PERIOD!

Perhaps you’d be more comfortable here: soulofthejedi.net

The EU IS CANON!!!

-Captain Guinastasia, Delta 4, EUDF

:stuck_out_tongue:

(Sorry, just a little joke-I’m a member of the Expanded Universe Defense Force over at boards.theforce.net)

This is the problem with SW geeks. No connection to reality. SIGH Whatcha gonna do? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, the question is really what are you going to do?

I don’t know, but I bet it’ll involve rerouting something through the main deflector dish or some such.

Sorry, no. Lucas has it worked out that when he kicks off, no one gets to make more Star Wars movies. Which means that if copyright law keeps getting extended, those of us who’ve had our heads frozen, will be the only ones with the barest of hopes of ever seeing new Star Wars films after Lucas kicks.