[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
My problem is that everyone belongs to some race, or has some gender, or even potentially some handicapped status, and so everyone is served by laws forbidding discrimination against these categories. But “religion” implies that only beliefs of a religious nature are protected. Secular beliefs, or the belief that religion is a horrow-show, are not protected–indeed, you could argue that they are subtly outlawed under the “anti-discrimination against religion” protection, certainly as enforced on the SD. This causes an open and honest discussion to be biased in the direction of the majority of Dopers, which doesn’t make it right but does make it difficult to unseat or even discuss.
[/QUOTE]
I believe that you are in error on this point.
While atheism is not a religious belief, it is a world-view that addresses many of the same questions as religious belief, (“Is there a higher power? No.” precludes the extended discussions within religious belief, of course), and should, therefore, be protected. We still have to overcome the public expressions of former justice Roy Moore and such artifacts as the Texas Constitution, but I think the principle has been established that the words and expressions of atheists should be protected in the same manner as the words and expressions of religious persons.
To that extent, atheist expression is already protected on the SDMB. It is not possible to have a discussion of any aspect of religion, here, without some poster(s) dropping in to make the comments that the discussion is absurd because it addresses beliefs about imagined entities. I do not recall any such poster being reprimanded unless their expression was delivered in a rude manner. Beyond that, of course, are the numerous threads begun for the express purpose of denigrating some or all religious beliefs. Again, I do not recall any such thread being shut down if it had not degenerated into personal attcks.
In the U.S., the situation is more hostile to atheists and I believe that we should work to change that, but I believe that the Constitutional protections are on “your” side.
Now, to the extent that you wish to eliminate religious belief, you certainly have a conflict. However, unless you choose to begin killing of persons with religious belief, I’m afraid you are going to have to work through the same forum of ideas as anyone else trying to persuade others of your views.
To the separate issue of the “choice” to believe or not: I am not sure why folks actually believe there is much of a choice. Certainly, one may choose to express their belief through one denomination or another, (although, I suspect that for many of us, that “choice” is pretty much limited in that our expression of belief only finds an outlet through a very narrow range of groups), but I could no more “choose” to not believe in (a) god, than, I suspect most atheists holding that it is a choice could suddenly choose to believe that a god exists. The word “choice” is being used in an equivocal manner, based on the fact that a person who believes in the divine has a range of groups with whom to associate, seeking persons with similar beliefs, although the choice to actually believe or not is simply not there.