[QUOTE=Mellivora capensis]
tom, small nitpick, or maybe a misunderstanding on my part. From the way you’ve set this out, it gives the impression that atheism is about denying the existence of a higher power.
[/QUOTE]
Nah. It was a shorthand phrase to get the general idea out as a contrast to religious belief without taking on an involved hijack to determine just what every person who does not happen to have religious belief may or may not perceive in their world view.
In the context of a personal experience of the world, a person who does not hold religious beliefs has a shorter list of topics to discuss regarding the spiritual. Certainly there will be no discussions regarding the relative truths of Transubstantiation vs Consubstantiation vs mere symbolism–the whole discussion does not exist.
I am not trying to peg any belief on atheists, merely pointing out that if one identifies “religion” as one aspect of a personal world view, then atheists share in the same Constitutional rights to hold and express their views as do theists, deists, animists, or anyone else. (And, I note, that a number of U.S. jurists and laws have not yet caught up with the equal enforcement of that provision.)
Please note that I am NOT making the claim that atheism is the “belief in no god,” only indicating that religion, (addressing the positive assertion), shows up in the Constitution and that I see no reason why the rights established for persons holding religious views should be denied to persons asserting the negative.
[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
Seriously, the question and answer isn’t so much “Is there a higher power? No” but “Can you show me any persuasive evidence that I need to pay the slightest attention to your bizarre claims that you have insight into the universe that I lack? Until then, kindly STFU.”
I dont presume to state definitely that there is no higher power, only that I don’t understand why you need one to be there so badly you’ll assert one absent any thoughtful process powerfully suggesting one.
[/quote]
You are now addressing an entirely different point and avoiding your claim that religion is a choice–your only point to which I objected.
You asserted that religion, (which I inferred was shorthand for any religious or spiritual belief), was a choice. You have not addressed how you can make that claim. While there are people for whom there does not appear to be any strong belief in many things, (some of whom may come to an informed decision that there is nothing beyond the material and others of whom may simply float along as nominal* believers), there are others for whom such belief–manifested in various ways–is core to their world view. Noting that you do not share such belief or that you do not understand how anyone can believe something for which you have no evidence is totally irrelevant to a claim that to hold such a belief is a choice.
For some undefined but very large number of people, belief in some person/power/whatever beyond the merely physical is at the core of their understanding of the world as they experience it. Barring material evidence,
you are simply mistaken to claim it is a choice.
*nominal in its correct meaning, not in the way it has been abused by another poster.