So why was Ammonius Saccus banned?

[QUOTE=tomndebb]
Sorry. Board policy to not display how socks reveal themselves. No point in giving them ways to cover their tracks in the future.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm.
So while were on the topic of board policy, is there policy for moderators telling members (like Valteron, Cisco, TokyoPlayer, etc) what they can discuss, or what they can’t, in given thread (assuming they are violating no rules), or is that just stuff you are just making up as you go along?

[QUOTE=badchad]
So while were on the topic of board policy, is there policy for moderators telling members (like Valteron, Cisco, TokyoPlayer, etc) what they can discuss, or what they can’t, in given thread (assuming they are violating no rules), or is that just stuff you are just making up as you go along?
[/QUOTE]
There have always been rules against deliberately hijacking threads. Perhaps if you actually participated on the board instead of simply seeking people who happen to have spiritual or religious beliefs for the purpose of mocking them you would be aware of a number of rules, customs, traditions, etc.

Posters have even received Warnings for hijacking, although I have not yet issued one.

[QUOTE=Liberal]
I can’t recall who it was, but I seem to remember there being a poster some time back who pretty much stalked Polycarp. He seldom posted except to respond to Poly. He ignored responses from me and others while trying to push as many of Poly’s buttons as he possibly could. I think he was even pitted for it at one point, and almost drove Poly away from the board. Anyway, I don’t think that guy was banned. So I wouldn’t say that mods favor religious posters.
[/QUOTE]

See the last part of this post.

[QUOTE=xenophon41]
For once, I agree with badchad. There is remarkably little difference between the subject and the author of this OP. They should be treated alike by the administrators of this site.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[QUOTE=Talon Karrde]
See the last part of this post.
[/QUOTE]
Oh, wow. So it’s still going on. I guess that explains why he’ll take anybody on his side he can get, including a drunk troll squealing a bunch of nonsense. The more noise the better, I reckon.

[QUOTE=tomndebb]
There have always been rules against deliberately hijacking threads.
[/quote]

I don’t know if I would characterize any of the hijackings in question as deliberate, but anyway…

Cite?

[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
I realize that, Lynn. Sorry I was ambiguous in suggesting that all of the SD mods were secretly religious. By"the secretly pro-religious SD mods" I meant “those SD mods who are secretly pro-religious.” You are not one of those.

What I think is that you’ve all come to some sort of compromise of your core values ('fighting ignorance") whereby in the name of some lame re-definition of tolerance, you’ve agreed to exempt Christianity, and other allied religions, from having to adhere to the same standard you reasonably demand from other whacked-out systems of belief.

Adhering to the same system, which would basically allow people to ask the same tough questions and be as abrasive and demanding of Christians as they’re allowed to be of Scientologists, Masonic conspiracists and Flat-earthers, would give the (correct) impression that Christianity is just another species of willful ignorance, and you don’t want to offend maybe half of your subscription base and maybe a large minority of your mods, so you compromise on this one issue and suck it up to make everyone happy.

Well, everyone but me. And this is still the best site on the planet, even with that central flaw, but I do feel the need to point it out in the holy name of fighting ignorance.
[/QUOTE]

In case you have not noticed it, the OP here has done precisely that to the faith espoused by Siege, Baker, myself, and a few others. There have been several serious threads digging into the errors of what Catholicism really believes.

There are a group of religious people who are unwilling to give credence to the good intent and integrity of anyone who disagrees with them in any particular. We call them fundamentalist bigots. It appears to me that there is at least one irreligious person on this board who fits that definition, as well.

[QUOTE=Polycarp]
In case you have not noticed it, the OP here has done precisely that to the faith espoused by Siege, Baker, myself, and a few others.
[/QUOTE]

No more than your unsupported and unsupportable assertions deserve.

Now how much manhandling, chops-busting, Mod-authority-abusing and outright contentiousness has Tom shown you?

You know, as a semi-staunch agnostic, I’ve found that, by and large, the religious members of the Dope are well-spoken, polite, presentable and people I would like to hang around with. The hard-core atheists, OTOH, seem to be almost total assholes with tunnel-vision that would do a Chunnel conductor proud. They are more ignorant than any of the religious posters.

Merry Christmas, jerks! If you every pulled your heads out long enough, you’d discover people find you really annoying and wish you’d get the boot. It isn’t paranoia…the Mods are bending over backwards to protect you, not the Jesus brigade.

If you would care to examine, I believe I slammed the ‘chosen’ religion pretty hard, and lo, not a warning, not a concern, not a thing happened.

[QUOTE=silenus]
You know, as a semi-staunch agnostic, I’ve found that, by and large, the religious members of the Dope are well-spoken, polite, presentable and people I would like to hang around with. The hard-core atheists, OTOH, seem to be almost total assholes with tunnel-vision that would do a Chunnel conductor proud. They are more ignorant than any of the religious posters.

Merry Christmas, jerks! If you every pulled your heads out long enough, you’d discover people find you really annoying and wish you’d get the boot. It isn’t paranoia…the Mods are bending over backwards to protect you, not the Jesus brigade.
[/QUOTE]

Last I counted, there were about 9 people on this site who are actually dedicated to fighting ignorance, and about 62,520 dedicated to fighting ignorance except where Christianity is concerned.

I’m amazed that we’re shouted down so often. Simply flabbergasted.

[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
Last I counted, there were about 9 people on this site who are actually dedicated to fighting ignorance, and about 62,520 dedicated to fighting ignorance except where Christianity is concerned.

I’m amazed that we’re shouted down so often. Simply flabbergasted.
[/QUOTE]

I can remember reading your posts with enjoyment. Somehow, in the last year or two, you’ve managed to become a gigantic asshole. I really have no idea what happened.

And I speak as an agnostic, who really doesn’t care one way or another whether there actually is a god or not, nor do I care whether or how anyone decides to worship that god, as long as they don’t either legislate their morality or try to cut people into God Gobbets to feed said (pseudo-)deity.

Maybe Polycarp has never been called onto the carpet by the mods because he’s never actually done anything to trigger a carpet-calling? Ever think of that?

I mean, this is just flat NOT about how ince a person I am, okay, so get off it. I’m a total shit, I admit it. And Poly and Tom are these Keane-painted-eye, sugary sweet gentle kind souls, okay? Stipulated.

But they still believe in a load of myths that all the effort in the world won’t elevate to demonstrable evidence, yet keep insist that myth MUST hold a status considerably higher than mere insubstantial and wholly unsupportable belief in any of a myriad of other imaginary friends. This is ignorance, and if it’s okay with you, I’ll fight it now and again.

Or even if it’s not so okay with you, actually.

[QUOTE=silenus]
The hard-core atheists, OTOH, seem to be almost total assholes with tunnel-vision that would do a Chunnel conductor proud. They are more ignorant than any of the religious posters.
[/QUOTE]

As one of those hard atheists, allow me to invite you to kiss my ass. Or at least paint with a slightly smaller brush.

[QUOTE=silenus]
You know, as a semi-staunch agnostic, I’ve found that, by and large, the religious members of the Dope are well-spoken, polite, presentable and people I would like to hang around with. The hard-core atheists, OTOH, seem to be almost total assholes with tunnel-vision that would do a Chunnel conductor proud. They are more ignorant than any of the religious posters.
[/QUOTE]
That seems somewhat unfair. You’re comparing all the religious Dopers to just the hardcore athiests. I imagine you’d find more assholes in the “hardcore” part of any group.

[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
I mean, this is just flat NOT about how ince a person I am, okay, so get off it. I’m a total shit, I admit it. And Poly and Tom are these Keane-painted-eye, sugary sweet gentle kind souls, okay? Stipulated.

But they still believe in a load of myths that all the effort in the world won’t elevate to demonstrable evidence, yet keep insist that myth MUST hold a status considerably higher than mere insubstantial and wholly unsupportable belief in any of a myriad of other imaginary friends. This is ignorance, and if it’s okay with you, I’ll fight it now and again.

Or even if it’s not so okay with you, actually.
[/QUOTE]

Perhaps there are boundaries around acceptable ignorance-fighting? Fighting public ignorance is a wonderful mitzvah. Fighting ignorance by people whose jobs in the public education and safety would be compromised by it is admirable. Fighting people who try to force the rest of us to believe their ignorance as truth is mandatory.

But how is it hurting you that Polycarp, Siege, tomndebb, etc., believe in a god and that his son was sent to incarnate in human form to redeem their souls? How is that hurting you, and why is it necessary to fight it?

Nobody wins a scorched-earth campaign. Frankly, I think the scorched-earthers like yourself and badchad and Der Trihs hurt the cause (such as it is) of atheism and areligiousity. Nobody ever got persuaded to a side by being called an idiot. Ever.

[QUOTE=pseudotriton ruber ruber]
IBut they still believe in a load of myths that all the effort in the world won’t elevate to demonstrable evidence, yet keep insist that myth MUST hold a status considerably higher than mere insubstantial and wholly unsupportable belief in any of a myriad of other imaginary friends. This is ignorance, and if it’s okay with you, I’ll fight it now and again.
[/QUOTE]
But what you’re ignorant of is the experience of others. What ignorant people do is keep demanding scientific evidence of a religious experience. You want to test our faith scientifically, you have to live our lives — that’s how you replicate the experiment. Since obviously you can’t replicate my life, it is simply foolish to keep saying that because you can’t experience what I do, science deems my experience to be invalid. Asking for scientific proof of faith is like asking that the Theory of Relativity be tested by prayer.

[QUOTE=jayjay]
Nobody ever got persuaded to a side by being called an idiot. Ever.
[/QUOTE]

So why don’t you bust the chops of the poster who just called me a jerk? It’s right up there. ^ You could do that little thing for the cause of sweetness and brotherhood, couldn’t you, Jayjay? Now toddle off.

[QUOTE=Liberal]
But what you’re ignorant of is the experience of others. What ignorant people do is keep demanding scientific evidence of a religious experience. You want to test our faith scientifically, you have to live our lives — that’s how you replicate the experiment. Since obviously you can’t replicate my life, it is simply foolish to keep saying that because you can’t experience what I do, science deems my experience to be invalid. Asking for scientific proof of faith is like asking that the Theory of Relativity be tested by prayer.
[/QUOTE]
And how does this bullshit reasoning not apply to Masonic conspiricists, Scientologists, and other paranoic or otherwise certifiable figures of fun on this website dedicated to fighting ignorance?

Answer: Xians get away with it because most of the members here are either Xians, or were raised by Xians, or know and like Xians. If you’re living in a society where most of the citizens subscribe to a mass delusion, that doesn’t mean that they’re okay. It means you’re living in a very fucked up society.

Yeah, we have this weird mass delusion whereby we don’t think we should habitually be shitheads to people we disagree with. How fucked up is that?.