So You Think You Know Hockey?

I was discussing hockey with a friend of mine and the topic of hockey knowledge arose. We came around to discussing things that dedicated hockey fans (as opposed to casual fans who check the odd box score or jump on the playoff bandwagon) would know just by watching, following and being around the game (the NHL, in particular). Not necessarily hockey trivia, but stuff you pick up just by being a fan (although sometimes what you pick up is trivia).

What questions would you suggest for such a quiz?

I took a crack at it – take a look and let me know if I’m crazy or just ignorant. (The questions are Canada/U.S. and NHL-centric, and are not intended to be “gotchas” – they all have straightforward answers. I tried to avoid stuff that might be age-group specific, although some of the questions may be tougher for younger fans. My expectation is that dedicated fans will find them relatively easy, although there are a couple you may have to noodle on for a bit. I tried not to make them geeky but some probably are.)

[ol]
[li]A goalie has these stats: 2.12 and .908. What do they represent?[/li][li]What are the half-boards?[/li][li]A ref is calling a high-sticking penalty and is deciding between a minor or double-minor. What is he looking for?[/li][li]Name two from the Triple Crown Line. Bonus: all three.[/li][li]Sidney Crosby scored the game-winning overtime goal to win the gold medal for Canada in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Who scored the goal to send it to overtime?[/li][li]During a stoppage in play, you glance over at Ken Dryden standing in his crease. What is he doing?[/li][li]What happened on August 9, 1988?[/li][li]What NHL team did Gilbert Perreault play for? Bonus: his line had a nickname in the 70’s.[/li][li]A team is cycling the puck. What are they doing?[/li][li]A fight breaks out between a couple of defensemen with no instigator or infraction leading up to it. The fight is a wash, however during the skirmish Belligerent A grabs Belligerent B’s jersey and immediately yanks it completely over his rival’s head, effectively pulling it off. Aside from the 5 each for fighting, the referee assesses an additional minor penalty. To whom and why?[/li][li]What is the Selke Trophy awarded for?[/li][li]What is Russia’s (including some former Soviet republics) professional hockey league called?[/li][li]The NHL introduced a new “class” of penalties in the mid 00’s to combat this defensive tactic. Bonus points: name the team that brought this tactic to prominence. Name the modifier used to describe these penalties.[/li][li]What might you expect a passionate Red Wings fan to throw on the ice during a heated home playoff game?[/li][li]Who was the first Russian-born player “permitted” to play in the NHL by his home country?[/li][li]The Caroline Hurricanes were formerly this team.[/li][li]According to Jim Schoenfeld, what is Don Koharski’s favourite food?[/li][li]Name three methods the NHL has used to select each side for the all-star game.[/li][li]Team A is shorthanded, and the referee calls a delayed penalty against them. Team B retains possession, pulls their goalie, and scores prior to stoppage. What happens penalty-wise?[/li][li]Hockey nerd bonus: Team A and Team B are playing at even strength. Play is active for several minutes, with both teams enjoying puck possession. Team A scores, with the referee signaling a valid goal. One of the linesmen skates over and consults with the referees, who huddle, disallow the goal, and assess Team A a double minor. What is it for?[/li][/ol]
Answers:

[ol]
[li] Goals-against average and save percentage.[/li][li] The area of the boards halfway between the blue line and the goal line.[/li][li] Injury (read: blood).[/li][li] Simmer, Taylor, Dionne.[/li][li] Zach Parise.[/li][li] Resting his arms and chin on his stick.[/li][li] Oilers trade Gretzky to the Kings.[/li][li] Sabres. The French Connection.[/li][li] The forwards are working the puck up and down the boards (usually from the corner to about the half-boards) in the offensive zone, typically carrying the puck up the boards and passing it back to another forward when they get in trouble. The intent is to tire/draw the defense out of position and take advantage of shooting and passing lanes as they develop.[/li][li] Belligerent B for failing to attach his fight strap.[/li][li] Best defensive forward.[/li][li] KHL (Kontinental Hockey League).[/li][li] Neutral zone trap. New Jersey Devils. “Obstruction.”[/li][li] An octopus.[/li][li] Sergei Pryakhin (OK, this one is probably unfair – I only know it because I’m a Flames fan.)[/li][li] Hartford Whalers.[/li][li] Doughnuts. ;)[/li][li] Conference vs. conference, North America vs. “The World,” captains pick teams.[/li][li]The penalty assessed to the player in the box is over. The delayed penalty is enforced and Team A is shorthanded again.[/li][li] High-sticking. The linesman noticed a high-stick causing injury at some point during play. Of the class of penalties the linesman may report to the referee when play concludes, only one is a double minor. (You will go your entire fan-career not knowing this until your team has a goal disallowed because of it, then you will never forget it.) :)[/li][/ol]

The only one I didn’t know was who sent the gold medal game to OT. Other than that, I got them all.

Of course I have drank champagne out of the Stanley Cup…:smiley:

Casual fan here: knew stuff a casual fan would know.

I’m a hardcore sports fan, but a casual hockey fan, it’s my 4th favorite sport. As a Blackhawks fan I follow their games but I don’t stake out special time for it. I watch a good chunk of the playoffs and almost all the Stanley Cup. I know most of the Blackhawks history but a lot of the other random stuff is lost on me. Here’s how I did on these clues to give an idea of where the break between casual and serious fan is.

[ol]
[li]A goalie has these stats: 2.12 and .908. What do they represent?[/li]**I knew this one. **
[li]What are the half-boards?[/li]**I guessed they were the boards without glass where the benches were. **
[li]A ref is calling a high-sticking penalty and is deciding between a minor or double-minor. What is he looking for?[/li]**Blood, knew this one. **
[li]Name two from the Triple Crown Line. Bonus: all three.[/li]**No clue at all. **
[li]Sidney Crosby scored the game-winning overtime goal to win the gold medal for Canada in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Who scored the goal to send it to overtime?[/li]**I guessed Patrick Sharp for some reason. In retrospect I did know it was an American, and it wasn’t Kane. **
[li]During a stoppage in play, you glance over at Ken Dryden standing in his crease. What is he doing?[/li]**I just guessed it he was literally standing in the crease area in front of the goal. I don’t know or understand the leaning on the stick meaning. **
[li]What happened on August 9, 1988?[/li]**Knew it was Gretzky trade, I didn’t know the exact date but was able to make the association. **
[li]What NHL team did Gilbert Perreault play for? Bonus: his line had a nickname in the 70’s.[/li]**No clue. **
[li]A team is cycling the puck. What are they doing?[/li]**Guessed a team was passing it around to stall for a line change. **
[li]A fight breaks out between a couple of defensemen with no instigator or infraction leading up to it. The fight is a wash, however during the skirmish Belligerent A grabs Belligerent B’s jersey and immediately yanks it completely over his rival’s head, effectively pulling it off. Aside from the 5 each for fighting, the referee assesses an additional minor penalty. To whom and why?[/li]**I had no idea about fight straps. Completely new to me, I hadn’t even realized that jersey’s didn’t get pulled up any more. **
[li]What is the Selke Trophy awarded for?[/li]**Didn’t know this one, there’s too damn many trophies to keep track of. **
[li]What is Russia’s (including some former Soviet republics) professional hockey league called?[/li]**Didn’t know. **
[li]The NHL introduced a new “class” of penalties in the mid 00’s to combat this defensive tactic. Bonus points: name the team that brought this tactic to prominence. Name the modifier used to describe these penalties.[/li]**Knew the Devils and the dump and run, but forgot the technical terms and the official penalty. **
[li]What might you expect a passionate Red Wings fan to throw on the ice during a heated home playoff game?[/li]**As a Blackhawks fan this one was cake. **
[li]Who was the first Russian-born player “permitted” to play in the NHL by his home country?[/li]**Guessed Pavel Bure, just because I liked him in that Canucks-Rangers Cup way back when. **
[li]The Caroline Hurricanes were formerly this team.[/li]**Knew this, and I still think Hartford needs a team back. **
[li]According to Jim Schoenfeld, what is Don Koharski’s favourite food?[/li]**Who and the what now? **
[li]Name three methods the NHL has used to select each side for the all-star game.[/li]**Easy one. **
[li]Team A is shorthanded, and the referee calls a delayed penalty against them. Team B retains possession, pulls their goalie, and scores prior to stoppage. What happens penalty-wise?[/li]**I knew that the penalty was waved off when you scored on a delay, but I missed the “shorthanded” part of the description. **
[li]Hockey nerd bonus: Team A and Team B are playing at even strength. Play is active for several minutes, with both teams enjoying puck possession. Team A scores, with the referee signaling a valid goal. One of the linesmen skates over and consults with the referees, who huddle, disallow the goal, and assess Team A a double minor. What is it for?[/li]**Say what now? **
[/ol]

If Ken Dryden is leaning on anything today, it is probably the desk in his law office or Parliament, isn’t it? :slight_smile:

[quote=“cardinal_fang, post:1, topic:571175”]

[li]A goalie has these stats: 2.12 and .908. What do they represent?[/li][/quote]

Goals Against Average and Save Percentage, respectively.

[quote]
[li]What are the half-boards?[/li][/quote]

The boards along the side of the offensive zone, half-way between the blue line and the goal line.

[quote]
[li]A ref is calling a high-sticking penalty and is deciding between a minor or double-minor. What is he looking for?[/li][/quote]

Whether the player who was high-sticked is bleeding.

[quote]
[li]Name two from the Triple Crown Line. Bonus: all three.[/li][/quote]

Marcel Dionne was one. This was before my time, so I don’t know about the other two.

[quote]
[li]Sidney Crosby scored the game-winning overtime goal to win the gold medal for Canada in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Who scored the goal to send it to overtime?[/li][/quote]

I think it was Zach Parise.

[quote]
[li]During a stoppage in play, you glance over at Ken Dryden standing in his crease. What is he doing?[/li][/quote]

Before my time.

[quote]
[li]What happened on August 9, 1988?[/li][/quote]

Pure guess: Gretzky to Lemieux at the Canada Cup against the Soviets?

[quote]
[li]What NHL team did Gilbert Perreault play for? Bonus: his line had a nickname in the 70’s.[/li][/quote]

Buffalo Sabres and the French Connection?

[quote]
[li]A team is cycling the puck. What are they doing?[/li][/quote]

They’re in the offensive zone, passing it amongst eachother, mostly along the boards.

[quote]
[li]A fight breaks out between a couple of defensemen with no instigator or infraction leading up to it. The fight is a wash, however during the skirmish Belligerent A grabs Belligerent B’s jersey and immediately yanks it completely over his rival’s head, effectively pulling it off. Aside from the 5 each for fighting, the referee assesses an additional minor penalty. To whom and why?[/li][/quote]

To nobody. B is given a 10-minute misconduct for not having his jersey tied down.

[quote]
[li]What is the Selke Trophy awarded for?[/li][/quote]

Best defensive forward.

[quote]
[li]What is Russia’s (including some former Soviet republics) professional hockey league called?[/li][/quote]

The Kontinental Hockey League

[quote]
[li]The NHL introduced a new “class” of penalties in the mid 00’s to combat this defensive tactic. Bonus points: name the team that brought this tactic to prominence. Name the modifier used to describe these penalties.[/li][/quote]

The 1-2-2 trap, the New Jersey Devils and obstruction penalties.

[quote]
[li]What might you expect a passionate Red Wings fan to throw on the ice during a heated home playoff game?[/li][/quote]

An octopus.

[quote]
[li]Who was the first Russian-born player “permitted” to play in the NHL by his home country?[/li][/quote]

Larionov?

[quote]
[li]The Caroline Hurricanes were formerly this team.[/li][/quote]

The Hartford Whalers.

[quote]
[li]According to Jim Schoenfeld, what is Don Koharski’s favourite food?[/li][/quote]

Donuts

[quote]
[li]Name three methods the NHL has used to select each side for the all-star game.[/li][/quote]

East vs. West, North America against the World, Stanley Cup Champions against the rest of the league, this year’s draft format.

[quote]
[li]Team A is shorthanded, and the referee calls a delayed penalty against them. Team B retains possession, pulls their goalie, and scores prior to stoppage. What happens penalty-wise?[/li][/quote]

Assuming that it was a minor, the penalty is negated.

Edit: I missed the short-handed bit.

[quote]
[li]Hockey nerd bonus: Team A and Team B are playing at even strength. Play is active for several minutes, with both teams enjoying puck possession. Team A scores, with the referee signaling a valid goal. One of the linesmen skates over and consults with the referees, who huddle, disallow the goal, and assess Team A a double minor. What is it for?[/li][/quote]

Could be one of many things, but you’re probably looking for a high sticking penalty here.

On 7 part C I was thinking “clutch and grab” and I was thinking Fetisov was the first Russian for 15. :frowning:

1. A goalie has these stats: 2.12 and .908. What do they represent?
    Easy one
    2. What are the half-boards?
    Another easy one
    3. A ref is calling a high-sticking penalty and is deciding between a minor or double-minor. What is he looking for?
    Third easy one; hey, I might ace this!
    4. Name two from the Triple Crown Line. Bonus: all three.
    No ide-eer
    5. Sidney Crosby scored the game-winning overtime goal to win the gold medal for Canada in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Who scored the goal to send it to overtime?
    Dunno
    6. During a stoppage in play, you glance over at Ken Dryden standing in his crease. What is he doing?
    Leaning his chin on his hands on his goal stick; I remember it well
    7. What happened on August 9, 1988?
    Dunno
    8. What NHL team did Gilbert Perreault play for? Bonus: his line had a nickname in the 70’s.
    Buffalo. The French Connection. (Trying to think of the other two…Ric Martin and ???
    9. A team is cycling the puck. What are they doing?
    Passing it back and forth, killing time, retaining possession
  2. A fight breaks out between a couple of defensemen with no instigator or infraction leading up to it. The fight is a wash, however during the skirmish Belligerent A grabs Belligerent B’s jersey and immediately yanks it completely over his rival’s head, effectively pulling it off. Aside from the 5 each for fighting, the referee assesses an additional minor penalty. To whom and why?
    Missed this one, but should have got it right, 'cause I knew it. :slight_smile:
  3. What is the Selke Trophy awarded for?
    Best defensive forward. Should be re-named the Yzerman trophy.
  4. What is Russia’s (including some former Soviet republics) professional hockey league called?
    Not sure
  5. The NHL introduced a new “class” of penalties in the mid 00’s to combat this defensive tactic. Bonus points: name the team that brought this tactic to prominence. Name the modifier used to describe these penalties.
    Obstruction interference
  6. What might you expect a passionate Red Wings fan to throw on the ice during a heated home playoff game?
    Octopus. Bonus question: why an octopus?
  7. Who was the first Russian-born player “permitted” to play in the NHL by his home country?
    Thought it was Slava Festisov
  8. The Caroline Hurricanes were formerly this team.
    For some reason I thought it was Quebec. I’m wrong. I know.
  9. According to Jim Schoenfeld, what is Don Koharski’s favourite food?
    Doughnuts
  10. Name three methods the NHL has used to select each side for the all-star game.
    Easy one
  11. Team A is shorthanded, and the referee calls a delayed penalty against them. Team B retains possession, pulls their goalie, and scores prior to stoppage. What happens penalty-wise?
    Answered correctly
  12. Hockey nerd bonus: Team A and Team B are playing at even strength. Play is active for several minutes, with both teams enjoying puck possession. Team A scores, with the referee signaling a valid goal. One of the linesmen skates over and consults with the referees, who huddle, disallow the goal, and assess Team A a double minor. What is it for?
    Could not figure this one out, but should have been able to

OK, you can’t drop that on us without telling us the story!

Thanks, that’s good feedback. I have to say that I would not do nearly as well on my fourth favourite sport (basketball).

:smiley: That just begs a good Photoshop!

Ooh. Good guess. That answer actually says as much as the correct answer would.

Ha, good catch! Serves me right for not looking it up. (And after doing so, it turns out it’s not a 10-minute misconduct, but a game misconduct. I was conflating it with the Rob Ray rule where a minor is assessed in addition to the game misconduct.)

Nice! Old school. I did not remember that. (Bolding mine.)

What else could it be?

Will not argue.

Good question. I’m not really sure – was it some Greek fishmongers or something selling them near the stadium back in the day?

I’ve only been following hockey for a couple of years; I still have a lot to learn, but here are my answers (I didn’t look at the rest of the thread yet):
[li]A goalie has these stats: 2.12 and .908. What do they represent?[/li]Goals-against-average and Save Percentage

[li]What are the half-boards?[/li]I think they are the boards by the player’s benches, without glass above them, but I’m not sure.

[li]A ref is calling a high-sticking penalty and is deciding between a minor or double-minor. What is he looking for?[/li]Blood. If the high stick injured the player it hit, it’s a double-minor
[li]Name two from the Triple Crown Line. Bonus: all three.[/li]I have no idea. I suck at remembering Line nicknames.
[li]Sidney Crosby scored the game-winning overtime goal to win the gold medal for Canada in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Who scored the goal to send it to overtime?[/li]Patrick Kane, for the USA.

[li]During a stoppage in play, you glance over at Ken Dryden standing in his crease. What is he doing?[/li]Leaning on his stick, blocker over glove, one knee cocked slightly.

[li]What happened on August 9, 1988?[/li]Don’t know. Wasn’t there an expansion around that time?

[li]What NHL team did Gilbert Perreault play for? Bonus: his line had a nickname in the 70’s.[/li]The Sabres, but I wouldn’t know what nickname the line had. I don’t even know why I’m so confident it was the Sabres…
[li]A team is cycling the puck. What are they doing?[/li]Passing the puck back and forth in the offensive zone, trying to draw out the D and get a shot

[li]A fight breaks out between a couple of defensemen with no instigator or infraction leading up to it. The fight is a wash, however during the skirmish Belligerent A grabs Belligerent B’s jersey and immediately yanks it completely over his rival’s head, effectively pulling it off. Aside from the 5 each for fighting, the referee assesses an additional minor penalty. To whom and why?[/li]
B’s jersey wasn’t strapped down - there’s a penalty for that.
[li]What is the Selke Trophy awarded for?[/li]Best defenseman, I think.
[li]What is Russia’s (including some former Soviet republics) professional hockey league called?[/li]Kontinental hockey league

[li]The NHL introduced a new “class” of penalties in the mid 00’s to combat this defensive tactic. Bonus points: name the team that brought this tactic to prominence. Name the modifier used to describe these penalties.[/li]Neutral Zone Trap - New Jersey Devils - clutch and grab?

[li]What might you expect a passionate Red Wings fan to throw on the ice during a heated home playoff game?[/li]A squid or octopus (it seems I’ve seen both used, though I think the latter is the actual tradition!)

[li]Who was the first Russian-born player “permitted” to play in the NHL by his home country?[/li]Don’t know, but I’m sure I’ll recognize the name when I see it!

[li]The Caroline Hurricanes were formerly this team.[/li]Good?
The Hartford Whalers
[li]According to Jim Schoenfeld, what is Don Koharski’s favourite food?[/li]Is that the donut ref?

[li]Name three methods the NHL has used to select each side for the all-star game.[/li]East vs West, the draft of this year, North America vs the World

[li]Team A is shorthanded, and the referee calls a delayed penalty against them. Team B retains possession, pulls their goalie, and scores prior to stoppage. What happens penalty-wise?[/li]
I think the penalty is waived.

[li]Hockey nerd bonus: Team A and Team B are playing at even strength. Play is active for several minutes, with both teams enjoying puck possession. Team A scores, with the referee signaling a valid goal. One of the linesmen skates over and consults with the referees, who huddle, disallow the goal, and assess Team A a double minor. What is it for?[/li]
Don’t know. Goalie interference?
Now to see how wrong I am!

These are all good answers and pretty much nail the spirit of the question. In retrospect, the question is too geeky. A better one might be: “Name a Russian hockey player who played in the NHL during the first two seasons they were permitted to do so.”

Linesmen can also call all major penalties. There may be some other double-minors that they can call.

At the time the tradition was started, it took 8 wins in the playoffs to win the Stanley Cup. One arm for each win.

On the top of throwing things on the ice, what did Florida Panthers fans start throwing on the ice during their miracle run to the 1996 Stanley Cup final, and why?

Rats, because a player killed one in the dressing room that year. And they still do it, according to my Panther friends.

FTR, here is Dryden in his famous position.

Wasn’t the first legit Russian player (Soviet?) Makarov for the Calgary Flames who won the rookie of the year in his 30s? Changed the rookie award after his season. Or it could have been any of of the other KLM line.

Oops! Wrong Sergei. It was Sergei Pryakhin. Wiki here.