So You Think You Know Hockey?

Sidney Crosby picked the number 87 because his birthday is August 7, 1987 or 8/7/87.

Well, Manny Fernandez is out then. I have no clue.

:smack: You know, I really need to stop posting late at night and just take my pills and have the nice lady wheel me to bed…

My penguin-sense was tingling. :smiley:

I gave in and googled the answer to who the first Latino player was… I see who you are thinking of : I did not expect that! Good question!

[spoiler] With a name like Guerin, I assumed he was French-Canadian!

Most of the Google results say Scott Gomez instead of Bill Guerin, since Gomez’s parents are Mexican and Colombian, though I think Guerin is just as valid an answer. Both are American born, to add another layer of complication. Tricky, though, as you start to debate who is and is not part of an ethnic group! [/spoiler]

Here are interesting ones I found during my above research:

Who was the first Asian to play in the NHL?
Who was the first native Inuit to play in the NHL?
Who was the first player of African descent to win the Art Ross trophy?

-Larry Kwong
-Jordan Tootoo
-Jarome Inginla

[ul]
[li]No idea.[/li][li]Guess: Jordan Tootoo?[/li][li]Iggy![/li][/ul]

NETA:I did not know about Larry Kwong. Very interesting (some great videos on YouTube). Also, Guinastasia is a hockey ninja.

To be fair, I had to check SOME of my answers – I was going to say

Jim Paek, who was the first Korean.

Just don’t ask me about statistics – I’m TERRIBLE with statistics.

I just wanted to post here so I could have a reference point to the nuances and fine points of the rules.

Thanks, everybody!

1. A goalie has these stats: 2.12 and .908. What do they represent? Goals against average and save percentage
    2. What are the half-boards?Along the boards halfway between the goal line and the blue line
    3. A ref is calling a high-sticking penalty and is deciding between a minor or double-minor. What is he looking for? Blood
    4. Name two from the Triple Crown Line. Bonus: all three. Marcel Dionne, Dave Taylor and Charlie Simmer
    5. Sidney Crosby scored the game-winning overtime goal to win the gold medal for Canada in the 2010 Winter Olympics. Who scored the goal to send it to overtime? Zach Parise
    6. During a stoppage in play, you glance over at Ken Dryden standing in his crease. What is he doing? Leaning on his goal stick
    7. What happened on August 9, 1988? Gretzky traded to L.A.
    8. What NHL team did Gilbert Perreault play for? Bonus: his line had a nickname in the 70’s. The Buffalo Sabres, on the French Connection with Rene Robert and Rick Martin
    9. A team is cycling the puck. What are they doing? Passing the puck amongst themselves behind the net (or something like that)
  2. A fight breaks out between a couple of defensemen with no instigator or infraction leading up to it. The fight is a wash, however during the skirmish Belligerent A grabs Belligerent B’s jersey and immediately yanks it completely over his rival’s head, effectively pulling it off. Aside from the 5 each for fighting, the referee assesses an additional minor penalty. To whom and why? The guy who got his jersey pulled off, because it’s supposed to be tied down
  3. What is the Selke Trophy awarded for? The best defensive forward
  4. What is Russia’s (including some former Soviet republics) professional hockey league called? The Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)
  5. The NHL introduced a new “class” of penalties in the mid 00’s to combat this defensive tactic. Bonus points: name the team that brought this tactic to prominence. Name the modifier used to describe these penalties. The neutral zone trap, the New Jersey Devils and "obstruction"
  6. What might you expect a passionate Red Wings fan to throw on the ice during a heated home playoff game? An octopus
  7. Who was the first Russian-born player “permitted” to play in the NHL by his home country? Sergei Priakhin, to the Calgary Flames in 1989
  8. The Caroline Hurricanes were formerly this team. The Hartford Whalers
  9. According to Jim Schoenfeld, what is Don Koharski’s favourite food? Donuts
  10. Name three methods the NHL has used to select each side for the all-star game. East v. West, North America v. the World, and the defending Cup champions v. All-stars from the rest of the league
  11. Team A is shorthanded, and the referee calls a delayed penalty against them. Team B retains possession, pulls their goalie, and scores prior to stoppage. What happens penalty-wise? I think Team A still gets the penalty
  12. Hockey nerd bonus: Team A and Team B are playing at even strength. Play is active for several minutes, with both teams enjoying puck possession. Team A scores, with the referee signaling a valid goal. One of the linesmen skates over and consults with the referees, who huddle, disallow the goal, and assess Team A a double minor. What is it for? Pass